BMI

brownchristian
brownchristian Posts: 58 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Who else thinks BMI is wrong? I am 5' 9" and BMI says I should be 165 lbs which is tiny for my body size. My goal is 185 which BMI considers overweight but at 185 I will be the smallest I have been in 15 yrs. I know numerous people over this weight so I don't understand how so many people are overweight.

Replies

• 4healys
    4healys Posts: 44
    I'm 5'4" and BMI says I should be between 108-146. That seems like an awfully wide spread to me. I don't know how much I trust it. I checked some other sites for your height though, and I got the same results you mentioned. All I can say is I wouldn't worry so much about numbers (easier said than done, I know) and concentrate on how you look and feel.
  • Others might disagree, but I personally think the BMI is total bullshwa. It doesn't take into account your stature. There are really skinny 5'9"ers and really stout 5'9"ers. Your ideal weight is better gauged by your percent body fat.

I'm also 5'9" and I haven't been 165 since I was in junior high & 3 inches shorter. And even at that weight I was thin and fit. I was a farm kid who could beat even the boys at arm wrestling. So there is no convincing me that I was a fat kid. As it stands now, there is NO way I'll ever be that weight again. I'd look like an emaciated freak.

My fiance is another perfect example. He's 6'2" & weighs 225 lbs. Based on the BMI he's bordering obesity. When in reality, he's a dedicated weight lifter (no, not one of those muscle bound huge guys, just fit) with pretty dense muscle mass in perfect health.
  • garyt
    garyt Posts: 11
    BMI has always bothered me. I have spoken to Dietitians and Doctors. I don't understand it either but accordign to mine at 6 foot 2 I am to be at 150 pounds for my BMI. I don't get it either. I know what I want to weigh and I am setting my goals for that.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    One thing one of my doctors told me is that BMI doesn't take build into account. At 5'3", when I was about 14, she told me I was healthy at 145, which is overweight according to the BMI calculator. But, I have a very wide build - wide hips, wide shoulders. She had me circle my thumb and forefinger around my wrist, and there was about a one-inch gap. That's considered a "large frame" and that means that I'm on the upper end of the BMI scale. The average frame range is if the tips of your finger and thumb just about meet, and the slender frame range is if they overlap.
  • TGIBriday83
    TGIBriday83 Posts: 68 Member
    its true that it doesn't take into account things such as body type and stature. it just kind of assumes that everyone is built pretty much the same. this is especially true for athletes or people with a more athletic build. i've consistently played sports since i was 7 and trained and lifted weights and worked out for them regularly since high school. at 6'0" and 208 im in the middle range of being "over weight." sure i will admit there is a bit of pudge in my mid section and around my thighs, but im solidly built and hold a lot of muscle. most people assume i weigh somewhere between 185-195 and when they hear im in the 208-212 range regularly they're completely shocked. plus i honestly dont know if i could get down to 185. im shooting for it but i really dont know if its possible for me. in all honesty i think BMI should be taken more as a guide and not gospel.
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    One thing one of my doctors told me is that BMI doesn't take build into account. At 5'3", when I was about 14, she told me I was healthy at 145, which is overweight according to the BMI calculator. But, I have a very wide build - wide hips, wide shoulders. She had me circle my thumb and forefinger around my wrist, and there was about a one-inch gap. That's considered a "large frame" and that means that I'm on the upper end of the BMI scale. The average frame range is if the tips of your finger and thumb just about meet, and the slender frame range is if they overlap.

I wanted to add (to echo what hombre said) that your build dictates what looks healthy for you. I weigh 190 right now, but most people think I'm well below that because I'm built in a way that is, if my female relatives on both sides for the last 3 generations are any indication, meant to be heavy.
  • I am 5'6 and weigh 168 which is overweight according to my BMI. It says at the highest I should be 154 which for me is too low. I like my curves so now I am just toning up and trying to get to 165. My doctor told me that BMI is just a general number and it does not take into account a persons build(I am not a small frame). I recently was able to have my body fat % checked and I found out that even though I am considered overweight my fat percent is in the normal range. I personally do not BMI.
  • I've read this post and it has confused me slightly. I calculated my ideal BMI and have set that as my target weight, but according to what's been said here there's a chance that I'll never be able to obtain that. So how should I set my target weight? I'm 5ft 5" and currently weigh about 185lb.
  • cfischer81
    cfischer81 Posts: 111 Member
    It's funny you mention this because I just found a website today that takes build into consideration when figure out your healthy weight. I still think it probably depends on the person and their muscle mass and athletic level but it has a better scale at least, I think.

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    The BMI is actually an equations from the 1800's. It's also called Quetelet's Formula. Basically it's your weight divided by your height in inches squared x 703.

It's not all that accurate for people who are athletic. NFL players regularly come up as obese just because they are so muscle bound and tall.

Keep in mind that it shouldn't be the end all be all of your definition of body composition. Use it as a tool but use MANY MANY other things such as body fat percentage (which is much more important in my opinion).
  • I've read this post and it has confused me slightly. I calculated my ideal BMI and have set that as my target weight, but according to what's been said here there's a chance that I'll never be able to obtain that. So how should I set my target weight? I'm 5ft 5" and currently weigh about 185lb.

I personally talked to my doctor and got him to help me with it. I was confused at first too. You could also look to the bmi number as just a guide, you know your body and as you lose you can always modify your goal number either up or down depending on your build and muscle mass.
This discussion has been closed.