Will I ever be good at running?

I had asthma as a kid, but it's much better now that I'm older (20 to be exact). I hated running in high school P.E because I got winded so easily. Now I'm doing the Couch to 5k program and having the same problem. The first day went okay -- I got out of breath toward the end of each running interval, but I got through the workout without being completely exhausted. Today I did the Week 1 workout again and got incredibly winded and dizzy. I had to stop about halfway through. Now I'm afraid to do it again because I don't want to have that happen anymore.

With my history with asthma, even though it was mild and I didn't have attacks or anything, will I ever be able to run normally? Or should I just give up on running altogether and find other ways of getting in cardio?

Replies

• TheMommyWifeLife
    TheMommyWifeLife Posts: 194 Member
    I think you will. What you need to do, and I am unsure of the program you are doing and how it works, but this is how I would do it.

Start with jogging only. Do it for 5 minutes, if you can't do 5 full minutes, then do two. Every day, add one more minute to how long you run. If you can handle it, then each day add two minutes. Make sure you are doing it every day though so you develop the routine better.

Stretch for 10 minutes before doing it. Don't do vigorous stretching, just easy enough to get your heart going a bit more and to get your muscles and joints ready for your body to allow you to run longer than 2 minutes. This is what I did, although I don't have the problem you have, but I was VERY out of shape.

I have friends who have asthma and are very good runners. Also, biggest loser makes you run with or without it, as well as there are Olympic medalists who still have asthma, but they still manage to beat almost everyone who doesn't!

YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU SET YOUR MIND TO! ;)
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Inhaler! So I had asthma all my life and just didnt realize it as a kid. Ran on the cross country team 15 miles a day at running camp. (This is not a joke, It was measured.) I was always the last runner but I always finished. Anyways at the end of races I was having asthma attacks sometimes and with a cold definitely did. That being said asthma shouldn't stop you from exercise. Many elite runners on running teams have asthma. They run with their inhalers if they need to. Stairs are not my thing, I lived in an apartment in Italy on a 7th floor with no elevators. For a month I had mild asthma attacks climbing to the top of the stairs. That being said it wasnt an option not to do them. Those stairs had to be climbed 3 times a day. Eventually I got used to it, and stuff having asthma attcks. Point being. You CAN do this if you want to! If you find this plan too difficult for you repeat the week that you felt you could do. Then move on when ready. No one says you have to do a 5k in a month! Some people spend many months building up to it. Just remember exercise shouldn't be so comfortable that you're not experiencing a little discomfort at the end. I always use sweat as my indicator. If I'm sweating, I'm doing well. No matter how slow I go, if I'm not injured, dying, or having an attack I can go on at my own pace. You can do it!
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    I think you will. What you need to do, and I am unsure of the program you are doing and how it works, but this is how I would do it.

Start with jogging only. Do it for 5 minutes, if you can't do 5 full minutes, then do two. Every day, add one more minute to how long you run. If you can handle it, then each day add two minutes. Make sure you are doing it every day though so you develop the routine better.

Stretch for 10 minutes before doing it. Don't do vigorous stretching, just easy enough to get your heart going a bit more and to get your muscles and joints ready for your body to allow you to run longer than 2 minutes. This is what I did, although I don't have the problem you have, but I was VERY out of shape.

I have friends who have asthma and are very good runners. Also, biggest loser makes you run with or without it, as well as there are Olympic medalists who still have asthma, but they still manage to beat almost everyone who doesn't!

Couch to 5k is a little like what you described. You run in intervals, and the amount of time you run vs. the amount of time you walk changes from week to week. I'm only on the first week, so I have to run for a minute and walk for a minute and 30 seconds. There's a five minute warm up walk at the beginning and a cool down walk at the end. That's why I'm a little worried about this -- I should be able to run for a minute without feeling like I"m going to die. :(

I haven't been stretching before or after, so I will give that a try. Maybe that will help me keep from cramping during my workout (which is also an issue) and get my head in the right space so I can get through the whole 30 minutes.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    How fast are you attempting to run? Many beginner runners feel like they need to be at a fast pace. If you need to go really slow, that is FINE. Running is hard, do not be discouraged. It just requires a lot of patience and determination. If you are struggling with the first weeks of Couch to 5k, then repeat a week until you feel stronger. You will get there if you are patient and keep at it. In January I couldn't run a mile, 3 weeks ago I ran my first half marathon. You can do it!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Only if you keep at it.
    Finish the program, ask your question then.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    I hate running so much. This year my goal is to do a half and then full marathon
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Asthma notwithstanding it sounds like you're trying to run too fast during the run intervals if you're getting that out of breath. Slow down and run at a very easy pace, don't rush your progress. Running is supposed to be fun!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Absolutely!
    When I started, I was horrendous and I hated it. I couldn't run more than 100m or so without walking. It was the most miserable, shameful and embarrassing experience and I hated every moment.
    But I persevered and over time I got better, I learned to love it, and then I just couldn't stop...

My partner has had asthma his whole life and has taken up running and become quite an athlete. Be prepared. Use an inhaler before you get out there if it helps. And listen to your body.
    Most of all - SLOW down! Great advice above.

Get fit and have fun ! :wink:
  • FitFabFlirty92
    How fast are you attempting to run? Many beginner runners feel like they need to be at a fast pace. If you need to go really slow, that is FINE. Running is hard, do not be discouraged. It just requires a lot of patience and determination. If you are struggling with the first weeks of Couch to 5k, then repeat a week until you feel stronger. You will get there if you are patient and keep at it. In January I couldn't run a mile, 3 weeks ago I ran my first half marathon. You can do it!

I did try to run faster than usual...the most I did was 6 mph because I had heard that's the average running pace for most people. I felt like I was going so slow at my usual 5mph, but maybe I need to stay there until I can do more.
  • TheMommyWifeLife
    TheMommyWifeLife Posts: 194 Member

Couch to 5k is a little like what you described. You run in intervals, and the amount of time you run vs. the amount of time you walk changes from week to week. I'm only on the first week, so I have to run for a minute and walk for a minute and 30 seconds. There's a five minute warm up walk at the beginning and a cool down walk at the end. That's why I'm a little worried about this -- I should be able to run for a minute without feeling like I"m going to die. :(

I haven't been stretching before or after, so I will give that a try. Maybe that will help me keep from cramping during my workout (which is also an issue) and get my head in the right space so I can get through the whole 30 minutes.

Oh dear. I couldnt even jog in place for a minute when i started trying to get healthy and lose weight back in july! lol you can do it. i honestly believe that if i can, anyone can
  • I hate running and my goal is running a half marathon in April. Anyone got any tips on what their doing for training? I am going to start with a few 5Ks then move to several 10Ks. Once I have several 10Ks under my belt I will shoot for a half marathon.
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    "I should be able to run for a minute without feeling like I"m going to die. :("

Don't beat yourself up. I started 3 years ago and we did 45 seconds running and 2 min walking the first week and we all thought we would die. That being said- it does get better and you will keep pushing yourself harder. Try running slow enough that you can talk while running- you'll feel like you are jogging in place at first. And, there is no set speed for 'running' you ran, therefore you are a runner. Running is having both feet off the ground at the same time, even if for a fraction of a second, not progressing at any specific speed. My husband is a rabbit, I'm a turtle- but we both run.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    You're trying to go too fast. The run portions of your c25k workouts should leave you able to speak in complete sentences. Don't worry about going fast, concentrate on getting the endurance to go the distance. Speed will come with time. Run at a comfortable pace and you'll do much better. A year and a half or so ago I started c25k at around 5-5.5 mph, these day I can maintain 7 mph for literally hours, and my 5K time is close to 8 mph. It's just a matter of keeping at it.
    I hate running and my goal is running a half marathon in April. Anyone got any tips on what their doing for training? I am going to start with a few 5Ks then move to several 10Ks. Once I have several 10Ks under my belt I will shoot for a half marathon.
    Eh...why? I mean, I'm doing a half In a couple weeks with plans for a full next year, but I like running. Why kill yourself doing something you hate? A marathon is a *huge* commitment, you'll spend literally three to four hours on the weekend doing your long runs. I did 1:45 on the 12 miler last Sunday before the taper on my half program, you're looking at close to twice that for a marathon training long run. Do you really want to spend 15 hours a week doing something you hate just to get a finisher medal? Find an exercise you enjoy doing, or stick with running and do fitness distances like 5-10k. A marathon is something you really have to want to do.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    You're trying to go too fast. The run portions of your c25k workouts should leave you able to speak in complete sentences. Don't worry about going fast, concentrate on getting the endurance to go the distance. Speed will come with time. Run at a comfortable pace and you'll do much better. A year and a half or so ago I started c25k at around 5-5.5 mph, these day I can maintain 7 mph for literally hours, and my 5K time is close to 8 mph. It's just a matter of keeping at it.

That is amazing!!! :) I want to be you when I grow up, lol. But really, that's my dream -- to be able to run a mile or more relatively easily. I have such low self confidence when it comes to running. I used to get made fun of for running slow, but now I see you have to start at a slower pace in order to progress.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member

I did try to run faster than usual...the most I did was 6 mph because I had heard that's the average running pace for most people. I felt like I was going so slow at my usual 5mph, but maybe I need to stay there until I can do more.

Too fast - don't compare yourself to other people. To put it in perspective I finished te C25K last month and my best pace is a 12:15 mile - for 3 mile runs I usually average 12:45 miles and for longer runs 13-13.5, which is -less- than 5mph. Go at your own pace that you can sustain rather than what you think everyone else does - you aren't everyone else, you're you. Speed will come in time, although I know it's hard to think you're a "slow" runner - I struggle with that too. EDIT: My best pace for a 3 mile run is 12:15 - I actually have run an 11:30 mile recently but it was a sprint as fast as I could for a mile. -is really slow- Lol :)
  • I've had a few trainers (for weight loss/running) and was told to work you way up....run/jog for one minute then walk for 30 seconds and you do that for 20 minutes. You can also walk for 2 minutes and run/jog for 45 seconds and you can do that for 20 minutes..and you continue until you feel conmfortable to move up.....then you can try run for a 1/4 of a mile then walk a 1/4 of a mile (for 1 or 2 miles)...until you feel comfortable....then try to run a complete mile without stopping(even if its a slow jog) ....then once you can run 1 mile then slowly add 2 miles using the same patterns above & well it works=) Also when u sign up for your first 5k look at the route if its available and it will tell you if there are hills. I also find that running a mudrun is easier than running a regular 5k, because you get a small break waiting your turn for the obstacles=) Good Luck =)
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member

That is amazing!!! :) I want to be you when I grow up, lol. But really, that's my dream -- to be able to run a mile or more relatively easily. I have such low self confidence when it comes to running. I used to get made fun of for running slow, but now I see you have to start at a slower pace in order to progress.

Heh, I'm not even close to the fastest guy in this board... Hell, I'm not even close to some of the fastest women on this board. That's the point though, I don't need to be. We're all mostly competing against ourselves. As long as you keep improving, how you compare to other people isn't all that important. Maybe in a year or two I can hope to compete on the level where I might win my age group in smaller races, but maybe that will never happen. It doesn't really matter; the big question is can I do better than I did last time.
  • kubyshechka
    kubyshechka Posts: 75 Member
    When I started running, I just quit smocking, so I could hardly run for one minute. So I ran one minute, walked five minutes. Slowly I build up to running five and walking one minute. Then running ten, waking one. You got the picture. Listen to your body. I did not follow any particular program, just tried my best and kept pushing myself, until I ran three miles non stop. At that point I started to work on increasing my speed. Good luck! I am sure you can do it.
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    The first time I ever tried to run (haha, let's be honest: JOG), I barely made it 30 seconds before I wanted to die. It took me 18 minutes to complete a mile because I had to walk most of it.

I'll never forget the day I jogged to an entire song! Over 3 minutes worth of jogging. I was so proud of myself. (In case you're curious, the song was "It's Raining Men" and is still my favorite song to run to because of the memory associated with it)

Now, 2 years later, I can jog/run comfortably for 30 minutes!

How did I do it? Slow and steady.

Using a treadmill? Up your speed by .1 for every 3rd run you do. So if you run 3x a week, on that third day change your pace from 4.0 to 4.1 (or whatever you are currently doing, which sounds like it is too fast.)

Remember: Whether it is a 7 min mile or a 14 min mile, it is STILL a mile. The speed will come over time. Work on your endurance. You can do it, even with asthma :flowerforyou: I promise.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Take your inhaler beforehand, then slow down. Seriously, I can run at 4mph!! Don't worry about speed, run at the 'speed of chat', i.e. you could still speak in full sentences at the same time. (Helps if you are not running alone).

I had almost given up on running due to my asthma, but gave it another go, more slowly, and am now running 3 miles+ three times a week. It can be done :smile: .