Best way to get protein sans powder/shakes?

Options
Oh and sans beans/grains too because they're so high in carbs/fiber.

My best guess - Seeds, Nuts, Lean cuts of red meat, Fish, Eggs, Poultry, and some Veggies? What would you suggest?

Replies

• JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Steak, chicken, fish.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Poultry has the lowest calories for highest protein amount. That is one of my go-to meals. Also Bison if you can find it is very lean (low cal) and high protein not to mention mighty tasty.

Unless you have a lot of calories to spend, seeds and nuts would not be the way to go. Can do some cheese but again, those are higher in calories.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Meat, fish, seafood, poultry and if you can handle dairy greek yogurt (plain)

Of course you could also go for insects:laugh: Not my cup of tea though:wink: : 100 grams of crickets contains 121 calories. Only 49.5 calories come from fat. Where you really see the nutritional value is in the 12.9 grams of protein and 75.8 milligrams of iron. They also have about 5 grams of carbohydrates.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Poultry has the lowest calories for highest protein amount. That is one of my go-to meals. Also Bison if you can find it is very lean (low cal) and high protein not to mention mighty tasty.

Unless you have a lot of calories to spend, seeds and nuts would not be the way to go. Can do some cheese but again, those are higher in calories.

I disagree, you don't need a lot of calories to spend to eat seeds/nuts. You just need to plan them into a meal just like you do steak and chicken. Or if you are snacking on them, you need to snack on them measuring properly. A 14g serving of dark chocolate roasted almonds goes a LONG way for me.

Chicken seems like the cheapest, I just hate dressing it up because THAT is where the wasted calories come from. BBQ sauces, rubs, dressing, spices, marinades, and seasonings all make lean meat into high cal and nutrient deficient meals (that admittedly taste good but was a waste of calories).
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I disagree, you don't need a lot of calories to spend to eat seeds/nuts. You just need to plan them into a meal just like you do steak and chicken. Or if you are snacking on them, you need to snack on them measuring properly. A 14g serving of dark chocolate roasted almonds goes a LONG way for me.

Chicken seems like the cheapest, I just hate dressing it up because THAT is where the wasted calories come from. BBQ sauces, rubs, dressing, spices, marinades, and seasonings all make lean meat into high cal and nutrient deficient meals (that admittedly taste good but was a waste of calories).

I think the point was that if you're going to use seeds or nuts as a source of protein, the number of calories you'd need to spend in order to get an appreciable amount of protein, is quite high.

Example:

24g protein from chicken breast = ~ 120 kcal
    24g protein from sunflower seeds = ~700kcal

This is due to the fat content in the seeds/nuts. It's fine to eat seeds/nuts, but you can't rack up a lot of protein from them unless you plan on eating a buttload of calories. This is also why people say that seeds/nuts aren't a good source of protein.
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup of lowfat cottage cheese has 12 gms of protein..I hate the lumpy texture so I put it in a food processor and make it smooth, great for making a "cream" sauce for something or add some egg whites, vanilla, and stevia(or whatever you like) and bake for a "cheesecake".
    Greek yogurt is good also, be sure to read though, I found the Greek Gods brand of "greek-style" yogurt has less protein than the other brands.
    Egg whites in oatmeal and other hot cereals.
    Quinoa is a grain with decent amounts of protein
    Lentils, beans, and other legumes are good too.
    I struggle to get enough protein, so I do use protein powder also, I just don't like eating much meat, I'm not a vegetarian but frequently prefer meatless meals.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Nonfat Greek Yogurt. Fage brand tastes best and has 23g of protein per cup.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    *pops in, sees who the OP is, blows him a kiss, gives him a :flowerforyou: and leaves*
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    drain the whey off of cottage cheese and eat the curds
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    God knows you need to avoid those nasty carbs and fiber or you'll be insta-fat.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options

Spices are not high calorie. How does seasoning a meat make it nutrient deficient?
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

By that logic, you shouldn't rule out beans either like you wrote in your OP.

Nuts are roughly 2/3 fat; 1/3 protein.
    Beans are roughly 2/3 carbs; 1/3 protein.

Look to lean meats, egg whites, fat free cottage cheese for essentially pure protein.

Everything else, including beans or nuts or bacon cheeseburgers, just fit it into your macros.
  • wjranch
    wjranch Posts: 152
    Options
    When I've got to fill up on my protein for the day, without pounding carbs and fat...... it's egg whites alllllll the way!! LOL

I'm to the point now that I will boil the eggs, cool them and peel..... i can split it, drop the yolk and basically swallow the halves whole.... usually 3 ....... occasionally more.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

Spices are not high calorie. How does seasoning a meat make it nutrient deficient?

Exactly.... spices are very low calorie.
  • BrownEyedGrrl
    Options

You don't need to add many calories at all to make chicken taste good! Focus on using a variety of herbs and spices. I like to marinate mine in lemon juice, a little bit of olive oil (you can skip the olive oil if you want less fat, the chicken will still taste good), oregano, lemon thyme, pepper, and some freshly crushed garlic, then broil it in the oven. Or sometimes chili powder, cumin, turmeric, and cayenne makes a tasty combo. Just figure out what flavors you like then make your own marinade. Even using light italian dressing makes a good marinade (but it's high in salt).
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Meat.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I always point to this spreadsheet that I keep in my google docs. I found the data on a British calorie site, reorganized it a little. Biggest protein bang for your calorie-dollar is going to be tuna steaks (not the canned crap, actual tuna steaks).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhrF6DYrFPujdDFJODJKQzB5QTQ0eXVIcWstTHBRZHc#gid=0

Your Top Ten (per 100g serving):
    Tuna Fish (Steak) - 25.6g protein/110 calories = .233 g protein per calorie (gppc)
    Tilapia Fish - 24 g/105 kcal = .229 gppc
    Crab meat - 18.1g/80 kcal = .226 gppc
    Cod Fish - 17.9 g/80 kcal = .224 gppc
    Turkey Breast (skinless) - 22.3g/100 kcal = .223 gppc
    Orange Roughy Fish - 22.64g/105 kcal=.216 gppc
    Chicken Breast (Skinless) - 23.5g/109 kcal = .216 gppc
    Prawns (shrimp to us yanks) - 17g/80 kcal = .213 gppc
    Haddock Fish - 16.4g/80 kcal = .205 gppc

The highest ranking nut or seed is Pumpkin Seeds at 34th on the list, 0.049 gppc (28.8 g protein and 586 kcal per 100 g serving).
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I always point to this spreadsheet that I keep in my google docs. I found the data on a British calorie site, reorganized it a little. Biggest protein bang for your calorie-dollar is going to be tuna steaks (not the canned crap, actual tuna steaks).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhrF6DYrFPujdDFJODJKQzB5QTQ0eXVIcWstTHBRZHc#gid=0

Your Top Ten (per 100g serving):
    Tuna Fish (Steak) - 25.6g protein/110 calories = .233 g protein per calorie (gppc)
    Tilapia Fish - 24 g/105 kcal = .229 gppc
    Crab meat - 18.1g/80 kcal = .226 gppc
    Cod Fish - 17.9 g/80 kcal = .224 gppc
    Turkey Breast (skinless) - 22.3g/100 kcal = .223 gppc
    Orange Roughy Fish - 22.64g/105 kcal=.216 gppc
    Chicken Breast (Skinless) - 23.5g/109 kcal = .216 gppc
    Prawns (shrimp to us yanks) - 17g/80 kcal = .213 gppc
    Haddock Fish - 16.4g/80 kcal = .205 gppc

The highest ranking nut or seed is Pumpkin Seeds at 34th on the list, 0.049 gppc (28.8 g protein and 586 kcal per 100 g serving).

Thanks for this actually useful information!
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Maybe I could start the new high protein, high fat, low carb insect diet? What do you think New Atkins? Anyone want to help be write a diet book and recipe plan? :bigsmile:

http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/011453.html
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Maybe I could start the new high protein, high fat, low carb insect diet? What do you think New Atkins? Anyone want to help be write a diet book and recipe plan? :bigsmile:

http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/011453.html

I don't know...that kind of diet will kill ya!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/10/09/man-dies-after-live-roach-eating-contest-in-florida/