Spaghetti Squash?

Options
Would really like to try this to replace my pastas. How does everyone prepare it? And are there any tricks I should know? Thanks ahead of time!

Replies

• lovemyboys27
    Options
    Cut in half, scoop out the middle, put it on a plate and microwave for 10mins, if you can shred it with your fork it's done. Super easy, and super yummy!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    does it have the same texture as pasta?
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    You can also do it the same way in the oven, if you have the time. (Cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, roast until you poke it with a fork and it's soft and stringy.) I love spaghetti squash with spaghetti sauce or with a little butter and parmesan cheese. Mmm.

-Alison
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    does it have the same texture as pasta?

Sorta. It comes out in strands when it's cooked. It just doesn't have a ton of flavor by itself. I usually season mine with some salt, garlic and a little cayenne pepper before I roast it.
  • lovemyboys27
    Options
    I don't find it does. I actually find it does have a nice taste alone, a little bit sweet. I don't cook mine until it's relly cooked though, I like it to have some crunch!
  • sallymurph
    sallymurph Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan. Someone recommended that I cut down on the size of my pasta servings and substitute the with bean sprouts. I heat them up and add to my pasta...its surprised me how good it was. Give it a try.
  • mbjoss123
    mbjoss123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this as a replacement for spaghetti noodles. I cut it in half and cook it in a small casserole dish with water in the microwave for 10 or so minutes. I put some butter spray on top before putting sauce on it.
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I love replacing my pasta with spaghetti squash. I like the flavor combination, although it tastes nothing like pasta. I have found that the spaghetti Squash is hard to cut in half while raw. You can pierce several holes in the shell and microwave until softened. I like it best with spaghetti and meat sauce. But, also good as a sidedish sprinkled with sea salt and parmesan cheese.
  • tracy1069
    Options
    In my house, we like to sprinkle a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg on the top of the speghetti squash before serving (if it is a stand alone side-dish).

Another tip is to use spaghetti squash as a rice replacement in Asian (Chinese) dishes...yum!
  • melanieann48111
    Options
    This is one of my faves! I either bake or steam mine. You can steam in the microwave for about 10 minutes or so depending on the size. Cut it in half, fill dish with about 1/4 inch water, place squash face down. I like to add some salt, pepper, and parm cheese. I don't think it tastes like pasta but it is really good!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash but don't go into it with the expectation of it tasting/feeling exactly like pasta. It doesn't. Pasta is pasta and squash is squash! :laugh: That being said, I think it's delicious & often make it & eat it as I would eat spaghetti (with pasta sauce). Zucchini is another decent pasta replacement.
    I also just go ahead and eat pasta a few times a month if I'm craving it (I like the whole grain multigrain pastas).
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I always try to post in the spaghetti squash threads that come up that you can roast spaghetti squash (any squash actually) seeds. After you scoop them, wash them off. Spray with a little Pam cooking spray (or coat in oil, I just prefer the Pam). Season and bake in a 350 oven for 10 to 20 minutes until slightly browned and crunchy. Stir once while baking. Yummy
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Oh I LOVE LOVE LOVE s'ghetti squash! I can't say enough good things about it! Even my kids love it! I make mine with some sauce, cut up chicken breast, garlic, portobella mushrooms, and LF parm cheese.
  • goingtodoit
    Options
    I have a great recipe for spaghetti squash in one of my cookbooks:

3 lbs spaghetti squash
    2 onions, chopped
    2 cloves garlic crushed
    1 tbsp. olive oil
    1 medium zucchini, finely grated
    2 medium carrots, finely grated
    2 eggs plus 4 egg whites(or 4 eggs)
    1/2 cup bread crumbs
    2 tbsp chopped fresh basil (or 1 tsp. dried)
    Salt & Pepper to taste

Prepare squash either by microwave of in oven as you normally do.
    let cool.

Preheat oven to 375 Degrees F
    Saute onions and garlic in oil for 5 minutes
    Add zucchini and carrots cook on medium heat another about another 5 minutes
    Cool Slightly

Use fork to pull out strand of squash
    Combine squash and remained ingredients
    Season with salt & pepper to taste

Transfer to sprayed 2 qt casserol.
    Bake at 375F for 50-60 minutes until golden.

Enjoy!
  • coniotto
    coniotto Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you like pasta but don't want the calories, then eat tofu spagetti the whole bag is 40 calories and the tofu takes on the flavor of whatever you put over it... It's awesome.. try it..
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I was all pumped up for spaghetti squash but I ended up not liking it. It has the consistency of onions which I HATE so I couldn't stomach it.

I was excited for an option to pasta but this wasn't it.
  • Sherryishealthyandstrong
    Options
    I love it with pesto!! I use spinach, basil, walnuts, lots of garlic and a little olive oil and grated parm! Great hot or cold!!!
  • FriedPicklePrincess
    Options
    It seems like everyone cooks it in the microwave - is this the best way? Planning on making it tomorrow for dinner. Also - one poster said that once you cut it in half to put it face down into the water. Has anyone ever used flavored water or chicken stock. Or should I just keep it plain and season afterwards?
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Depending on the size of the squash, sometimes I just boil them whole. You have to turn it over halfway, and it takes about 45 minutes. But, at this time of year, it's a nice way to do it because it adds some moisture to the air without running a humidifier! I think flavored water or chicken stock would work just as well in the oven.
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have a great recipe for spaghetti squash in one of my cookbooks:

3 lbs spaghetti squash
    2 onions, chopped
    2 cloves garlic crushed
    1 tbsp. olive oil
    1 medium zucchini, finely grated
    2 medium carrots, finely grated
    2 eggs plus 4 egg whites(or 4 eggs)
    1/2 cup bread crumbs
    2 tbsp chopped fresh basil (or 1 tsp. dried)
    Salt & Pepper to taste

Prepare squash either by microwave of in oven as you normally do.
    let cool.

Preheat oven to 375 Degrees F
    Saute onions and garlic in oil for 5 minutes
    Add zucchini and carrots cook on medium heat another about another 5 minutes
    Cool Slightly

Use fork to pull out strand of squash
    Combine squash and remained ingredients
    Season with salt & pepper to taste

Transfer to sprayed 2 qt casserol.
    Bake at 375F for 50-60 minutes until golden.

Enjoy!
    Sounds yummy.... I will have to try this. Off I head to the store for more spaghetti squash!