Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Tips on getting started?

I'm up for anything that has helped motivate you all in hope that it will he give me that push I need to really work hard! Success stories, workouts, recipes, anything! :)

Replies

• michaelcox39
    michaelcox39 Posts: 16 Member
    I have been walking 4 miles a night. only missed 6 days in the last 60. That way I get to eat a bit more. down to an avg of about 2000 a day. Fitbit has been a good motivator for me. check it out at fitbit.com. You can do it!!
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    I've been wanting to do a post about this. My biggest piece of advice to anyone starting out, especially those with a lot to lose (75+ pounds) is not to be intimidated or discouraged by the amount of time it will take to lose it all.

When I started, I had about 80 pounds to lose. You always hear about 1 pound a week being the healthy rate. 80 weeks is a LONG time. That can be really discouraging, especially for those with a lot of weight to lose. I think I viewed it more as "I'm still going to be so fat for so long" almost as if once I reached 80 weeks then it would all fall off. As if there would be no progress, no in between.

My advice is to stop thinking about 80 weeks from now. Think about every single day that you will be looking and feeling better. Think about how one day you stop having heartburn all the time. Think about how much less your feet will hurt from standing. About how you don't get migraines anymore. About how loose your clothes are getting.

In 80 weeks you may be at goal, but in 40 weeks you'll be looking AMAZING and getting so many compliments that you're just happy to have gotten as far as you have.

80 weeks is a huge success, but every single week that you stick with it is a whole week of your life that is exponentially better just because you're doing it.
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 328 Member
    Start slow, work on changing say one thing a week/fortnight/month for instatnce start with a mulit vitamin, or cooking a new healthy dish etc- whatever works for you. Get used to doing whatever that is before you introduce something new. It doesn't matter how slow your still lapping all those on the couch.

I love work out toys - HRM, phone apps etc.

Work out DVD's are great way to go if you find yourself de-motivated when it rains

Write a list of everything you've improved/changed in a given period - maybe 3 monthly. Include all positive changes not just weight loss - more energy, not just Black clothes, maybe a special work out achievement etc and put in a very prominent place.

Do exercise you LIKE, if you don't what your doing you'll be less motivated.

Take measurements, the scale may not always move - Do NOT let the scale be your only indictor of sucess
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 905 Member
    Have patience with the process--you did not gain the weight overnight, so you won't lose it overnight. It's a lifelong process--not just one for a few weeks and then put it aside when you get to your goal. You'll still have to do the maintenance to keep your weight where you want it.

Tracking what you eat will be very helpful. This will help you see what you are eating and identify patterns.
  • m3isme
    m3isme Posts: 9
    Great Post!
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    My number one piece of advice is not to think of this as a diet but rather a lifestyle change. A diet is temporary. This is what we are doing to live long and healthy lives. The weight will come off the same way it came on... one day at a time.

Stay focused, positive and keep people around you who are supportive of your new lifestyle (even us virtual people :flowerforyou:) and you will succeed.

Edited to add that if you would like to add me as a friend I am available for support always.
  • esl269
    esl269 Posts: 29 Member
    I would say the biggest thing that helped me, in the beginning, was learning to never make an excuse to skip a workout. Once you've skipped for a good reason, it's extremely tempting to skip for a bad one. Once you've firmly gotten into the habit, it's okay if you need another rest day but... in the beginning, that can be one hell of a slippery slope.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    great post