extra protein

Options
I have been following my daily recommendation but it seems my protein always exceeds the recommendation amount . Is that Ok? I also take alot more fiber than recommended which I am sure is not a problem but does extra protein actually makes me loose less weight? Thanks.

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Not all of MFP's number are maximums. For protein and fiber, it's the recommended minimum you should be getting.
  • MiSo_SeXy
    MiSo_SeXy Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Good question... I've been told its fine, you're body will get rid of the excess
  • MzStarrQueenB
    MzStarrQueenB Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    to much protien will make you gain.

try to plan your meals ahead of time this way you wont go over.:smile:

If you set your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8987-serious-diet-support-group
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

gain muscle maybe.

protein is good to help repair an replenish muscles. even people that only do cardio can benefit from a protein recovery shake.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options

Not true.
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options

Not necessarily. I eat over my protein just about everyday and I haven't gained any weight.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

Are you suggesting that protein can make you gain weight while in a calorie deficit?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Too many calories will make you gain weight - not specifically too much of a specific macro.

OP: the settings for protein on MFP are very very low. It is a good thing that you are going over.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

Untrue. Too many CALORIES makes you gain. Protein will help with repairing/building muscles and will keep you fuller so that you can stay within your calorie goal more easily.
  • drbaharak11
    drbaharak11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Actually I eat less than recommended Calorie and but I eat chicken salad for lunch and dinner and that seems go over my 50 point daily. Right now just entered my lunch point and it looks like the protein I got from a chicken sandwich, one whole grain bread and my morning latte, reached my 50 points of protein. However, I have 700 Calorie to go . So what Should I eat for dinner? am I counting it wrong?
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I aim to eat as much protein as possible and would actually be happy if mine was over!

I think if you're going over your protein with a sand which and a latte you need to rethink your macros.
  • drbaharak11
    drbaharak11 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I am not sure what Macro's are . I am new to this. but I will read on that. Thanks for your help.
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda new still too Hun!

Basically you can change the % of fat/carb/protein that MFP suggests to whatever you'd like. Mine is set to 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat as per the Insanity programme that I'm doing. I can never remember how I changed it and I'm on my iPad so can't check properly. Maybe try searching the forums for macros or how much protein... That should give you better info!
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I purposely go over on protein to help prevent muscle loss when doing loads of cardio.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of protein and lost tons of weight
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

WEIRD!!!!!!!
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    concentrate on calories .. not the specifics of the other stuff. It'll work itself out .. obviously an all sugar soda water diet is probably gonna leave you hungrier than a starving dog so you'll begin looking for low calorie yet filling meals and snacks.

I'm a sugar hound .. :blushing: but I'm trying to cut out my favorite soda *snif* and cut back on sugar in my coffee and tea because the calories added up so fast and I was still really hungry for not having enough FOOD in me. YIkes!
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options

x2
  • TRUK
    TRUK Posts: 12
    Options
    Protein and Carbs have 4 calories per gram while fat has 9. Everything needs to have a balance but of those three you would be far better off to have more than less protein. If its hard to get the correct amount through your diet maybe you could supplement with a protein shake? Some of them actually taste amazing. ;-)

Best of luck
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    protein=good

carbohydrates=good

fats=good

...so what is making people so dang fat???