5-HTP

HSingMomto7Kids
HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
Does anyone know anything about 5-HTP? Is it safe during pregnancy in case one was to become pregnant?

Replies

• ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Does anyone know anything about 5-HTP? Is it safe during pregnancy in case one was to become pregnant?

^ I have taken it. I had doctor's approval. It worked well for me for a short period.

However, in all the books I have - it says the same thing as this site:

5-HTP and Pregnancy
    Although no research has been done on the safety of 5-HTP and pregnancy, it is probably a good idea for pregnant women to avoid 5-HTP. There have been some reports of a dangerous group of symptoms (called EMS) occurring in people who have taken 5-HTP. Until this issue is cleared up, 5-HTP does not appear to be safe for anyone, especially for pregnant women.

Please do NOT take anything without your doctor's approval. It could harm the baby or babies.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    Darn, that really stinks. I have been googling the last several days. And I found the same. But I thought maybe someone's experience was different. I took 100 mg 1 pill the other day. But then I remembered oh crap!!! Maybe I need to call the doc office to be sure all is okay. Now it scares me a bit though. Could my doc say it is okay, but it really not be safe? I guess I will never know unless I ask though. Thanks!!
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    I am taking a mixture of 5-htp and valerian root as a sleep aid before going to bed. It helps me sleep better without any hangover next day.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    So can someone please tell me how much you can take of 5-HTP?? I noticed on-line that there are different mgs. to purchase too. I have the 100 mgs. So what typically do you take please??