1400 cal diet - I'm a boy and other questions

Options

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    How many times/week do you workout? Do you have an active job, or do you sit at a desk all day?
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

In the last month of eating like this, I have lost about 8 lbs, and my lean mass has only dropped by 1-2 lbs. The lean mass could simply have been water, or my organs shrinking (I have heard they swell when you are overweight). If my weight loss slows way down, or I begin to lose lean mass too quickly, I will make changes.

I am currently doing strength training to build muscle, and I have seeing good results from it.

I understand it is not sustainable, and if I didn't have so much to lose, I would not be doing it this way. However, I was not seeing results until I started to do this. I will slow my weight loss when I reach certain milestones - 1.5/week when I reach 25% BF, 1/week @ 20%, and 0.5/week @ 15%. Once I reach a low BF%, I will begin to eat extra calories to bulk up, starting the bulk and cut phases.

Maybe you could start your own thread.

hahaha + 1 for you.

I'm sorry for responding to your thread with my experience. Next time you ask for someone else's opinion, I won't give you mine. Gees.

I thought this was supposed to be a social community. When someone replies to a thread/post, it's expected for them to reply to the reply, am I right?

I welcome your input, her comment made me laugh hehehe.... again.

just because people laugh, doesn't mean they don't like ya. my grandmother told me that. hehehe.
  • nikilis
    Options
    How many times/week do you workout? Do you have an active job, or do you sit at a desk all day?

I haven't been doing a lot of exercise, I go hiking sometimes but probably twice a month and im a designer so I sit at a desk. so not a lot. lol.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    If you have no interest in bodybuilding then 1400 is enough to live on, eat your protein and be a good boy.
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused right now.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I PERSONALLY think its too high of a deficit. Especially for a six foot man.

To put that in perspective I am a 5'3 female that weighs around 112 pounds. When I eat 1380 calories I'm at a 500 calorie deficit (1 pound a week loss). I can't even imagine if I were a larger/taller male.

But do whatever works for you I guess, just no promises you'll retain a favorable body composition when you get to your goal weight.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    You look more girly than the girl on the pic with you.

If you are a "boy", then you better start eating like a boy. Even my little daughter eats more calories than you and she is fit.
    I would suggest you to start eating like a MAN.

But in this "civilized" world I will not say some things which would get my comment removed.
  • chivalryder
    Options

I haven't been doing a lot of exercise, I go hiking sometimes but probably twice a month and im a designer so I sit at a desk. so not a lot. lol.

Ok,

You have a BMR of 1842 kcal right now. Since you don't workout and you have a desk job, your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is 2210 kcal. That's how much you need to eat in order to maintain your current weight.

Since you really don't have much weight to lose, and since you don't exercise, I would suggest only trying to lose 0.5 lb/week. That's a deficit of 250 kcal every day.

That gives you a total intake of 1960 kcal. Eat that. No less, no more. Yes, you will lose weight faster with a greater deficit, but it would give your body a greater shock and it will be harder to keep the weight off once you go back to maintenance.

If you do want to lose faster, then eat no less than 1710 kcal every day. That would be a loss of 1lb/week.
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Here are you numbers from a calculator:

"Mifflin-St Jeor
    (FOR MEN)" BMR 1,776
    Maintenance 2,308
    Cut (@ 15%) 1,962
    Build (@ 15%) 2,655

Why be self willed when you could be eating 2300 calories a day!
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI I am 6'2 205 with a 13% BF and my TDEE based on my body media fit on average is 2950 and that is laying on the couch or driving all day. If I work out and go to work I am averaging 4500-5200 calories burned per day on my TDEE. If you are anywhere in that category what so every I would say you are WAY low. I wouldnt be taking in anything less than 1700 a day.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Please do not call yourself a boy ever again. I have no educated reason that I can give, but when I say "I know a 6ft man that eats 1400 calories a day" out loud, it makes me shudder. I'm gonna go with head to maintenance and lift. I hate exercise, but it's a necessary part of health. Not of weight loss of course, but it is a part of being healthy.

The "calling yourself a boy" at 29 part really alarms me. Seriously, don't do that.

Best Wishes.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you know that this doesn't make sense.

You can probably eat a thousand calories extra, at least, be diligent with your macros (especially protein, for obvious reasons), hit the gym for a heavy lifting regime, and lower your body fat percentage.

I'm a 137lb 5'6" female and 1400 calories is too low for me.

Eat for the body you want.

^^ THIS for sure!

Dude, I am a 38 year old, 5' 4" woman with about 20x more fat to lose, and I'm eating 1800 calories a day. (My TDEE on non-exercise days is about 2200.)

What are your goals? To get fit and look good? Start lifting weights then. Forget the low calorie diet mentality. Work your muscles. Build some strength. The extra fat will burn off as you do.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Here are you numbers from a calculator:

"Mifflin-St Jeor
    (FOR MEN)" BMR 1,776
    Maintenance 2,308
    Cut (@ 15%) 1,962
    Build (@ 15%) 2,655

Why be self willed when you could be eating 2300 calories a day!

The other take-away from these numbers is that you're currently eating at a 900 calorie a day deficit. So by the math, you *should* loose about 2 pounds a week. I'm betting you're not, because you don't have enough excess fat to lose that much per week. Your body at this stage doesn't want to lose weight at all, but if you eat at an appropriate deficit, ie around 2000 calories a day total, you can probably lose about a half pound a week.
  • nikilis
    Options

If you are a "boy", then you better start eating like a boy. Even my little daughter eats more calories than you and she is fit.

But in this "civilized" world I will not say some things which would get my comment removed.

does it really matter what I look like? I'm not asking for a date, just advice. why would you need to say "uncivilised" things. I'm sorry that you have such a low level of tolerance for others. did you have a bad day?
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    From reading your responses, it kind of sounds as though your goal may be something than what most people here are used to (higher muscle, lower body fat). You call yourself a "boy" and you seem to want the body of a boy. I guess that's fine, there's nothing inherently unhealthy about being lean. Even so, I still think you're eating too little. You can probably subsist on 1400 calories a day but that may be the best you can hope for. You probably won't be able to get your body to drop fat if you're eating too little.

Edit: Some of the responses have been unnecessarily mean. And I'm usually just here to troll :\
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Thing is, it takes a *lot* of work to build bulk, and no amount of lifting on a deficit will. So adding moderate lifting at a very minor caloric deficit will help keep your muscle mass that you do have, help shed the fat, and won't negatively affect your target body shape. If anything, it will help you attain it.

And eat a lot more protein!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I'm 4' 10 1/2" and I eat 1600 a day (well I try to but I've had the flu lately). So yes, I think 1400 is too low.
  • nikilis
    Options
    From reading your responses, it kind of sounds as though your goal may be something than what most people here are used to (higher muscle, lower body fat). You call yourself a "boy" and you seem to want the body of a boy. I guess that's fine, there's nothing inherently unhealthy about being lean. Even so, I still think you're eating too little. You can probably subsist on 1400 calories a day but that may be the best you can hope for. You probably won't be able to get your body to drop fat if you're eating too little.

Edit: Some of the responses have been unnecessarily mean. And I'm usually just here to troll :\

I'm just trying to loose fat and yah maybe add a little muscle but not body build. I wrote boy in the title just to state my sex so don't read into that too much. yah it does seem like I'm eating too little, which wasn't my intention. I wanted to loose fat but within a healthy range. I think I've got to bring it up now to a healthier deficit.

internet = part trolls. its just the way it is.
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options

does it really matter what I look like? I'm not asking for a date, just advice. why would you need to say "uncivilised" things. I'm sorry that you have such a low level of tolerance for others. did you have a bad day?

Yeah, that was really uncalled for. SMH.

OP it sounds like the majority of people are recommending that you eat a reasonable deficit. Find a way that is sustainable for the long term, for the long and lean look that you desire. (sounds like an Adam Levine type bod, but taller.) Eat now how you plan to eat in the future. Don't "diet". Tons of veggies and lean protein will keep you full. Maybe add some healthy grains, if you desire, like steel cut oats and the like. Eat whole foods.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you know that this doesn't make sense.

You can probably eat a thousand calories extra, at least, be diligent with your macros (especially protein, for obvious reasons), hit the gym for a heavy lifting regime, and lower your body fat percentage.

I'm a 137lb 5'6" female and 1400 calories is too low for me.

Eat for the body you want.

^^ THIS for sure!

Dude, I am a 38 year old, 5' 4" woman with about 20x more fat to lose, and I'm eating 1800 calories a day. (My TDEE on non-exercise days is about 2200.)

What are your goals? To get fit and look good? Start lifting weights then. Forget the low calorie diet mentality. Work your muscles. Build some strength. The extra fat will burn off as you do.

As you lose weight, your BMR goes down. A 5'4", 250 lb woman has a BMR of 1925 kcal. The same height woman who weighs 150 has a BMR of 1450. That is a HUGE difference.