Gaining instead of losing :(

Options
I recently started trying to lose again...I find that even with adding more fruits and healthy food and trying to cut back calories and exercise more i am actually gaining!! I find I have issues with eating the most at night and I feel horrible!! Any advice? What could I be doing wrong?? :(

Replies

• stephfranke
    stephfranke Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have been slow to lose as well, as our bodies make sure we are eating and fgiving it the nutrients it needs..... I have discovered that eating breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, and dinner is definitely helpful and I am not starving into the night as before. Weight is only starting to come off and it's been several months. I had to go by how I felt to keep going - no hearburn, a little more energy, the sick stomach feeling is gone, unless I eat to much. I have yet to start exercising - but that is another issue. But with eating better, I am feeling alive again. Keep up the fight.....
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. The first week I started losing weight I lost 6lbs or so, then nothing for sooo loooong. I was trying so hard and doing everything "right". Sometimes you just need to let your body catch up. Now the weight is steadily coming off at 1-2lbs per week and it seems effortless. I swear! Breaking old habits and creating new ones is the hardest part. Your body will do its part when its ready.

And also like the above poster said, there's so many other awesome things that happen as a result of eating healthier and exercising. I don't have anymore heartburn or stomach issues either. I used to have insomnia and take some heavy sleeping pills just to function at work, but since exercising regularly I sleep like a giant baby with no help from drugs. Life is good and I am never turning back! Keep at it!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I find I have issues with eating the most at night and I feel horrible!!
    What could I be doing wrong?? :(
    Haven't you kind of answered your own question here? If you just recently started trying, you need to give it time...your diary isn't open so its hard for people to give advice, but it takes time for your body to adjust to positive changes!
    If you're working out with weights, your muscles retain water for repair, so this can sometimes explain gains, but there are a lot of factors to consider (what you're eating, how much and what kind of exercise you're doing, and how much you have to lose).
  • fattarzan
    Options
    But are you losing fat? That is what you really want, remember that muscles weight more than fat. Also it may take a while of eating healthy before your body kicks in and start working the way you want it to be. I had the same problem but notice that my belt went down couple of holes and my weight didn't go down at all. that tells me that my belly is going down but muscles are either getting firm or growing. Don't worry too much as long as you are losing fat, stay away from the scale for a month or two... you will see your ideal weight later on.
  • keenesmom
    keenesmom Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough calories? I know you've probably heard it before but you have to eat to lose. Make sure your body is getting a sufficient number of calories every day. Your weight will flucuate. You'll be down for a few days and then for no reason you'll be up but if you continue your healthy habits the weight will drop again. Good luck and don't give up!
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I would really focus on the food logging and exercise logging, along with, getting mfp friends to kind of make you feel you should check in.

go on your profile and input all the appropriate numbers to see where you are going over or under on calories!

It is a great place to start.

I put myself as light activity and eat my exercise calories back-and want to lose .5 a week.

try it!
  • lrr33
    lrr33 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    try brushing your teeth. it sounds cheesy but helped me not to eat after 8pm! i just brushed them earlier rather than right before bed because then the food wouldnt taste right!!
  • Igneous
    Igneous Posts: 12
    Options
    Are you exercising? If so, always remember muscle weights more than fat so you may be gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time and the scale may be misleading. Monitor your waistline inches count.Those night craving is not helping if you must eat at night may I suggest eating foods high in protein since your body burns more caloric energy doing so, lay off carbs it's the last thing you need at night. Add me or join my group. "A healthy me is a wealthy me" Good luck, talk soon.
  • kmudica
    kmudica Posts: 29
    Options
    I had a horrible time with night eating too. I now put most of my calories in for breakfast and I eat a handful of almonds with tea before bed. That seemed to break the cycle of night hunger for me.

P.S. After the first initial 9 pounds I quit losing too. But I am losing inches so if you are adding exercise you could just be replacing fat with muscle...
  • kimebner
    Options
    I am fairly new and only joined the site last week. Tomorrow morning will be my first official weight-in i.e. my 1 week weigh in. I was really excited when I found this site as it was like a whole new way of dieting. It seems that you can have the odd "cheat" as long as you work it in to your daily allowance and don't eat more calories than you are allowed to. For me, this was a very exciting concept as it meant that I could possibly avoid feeling like I am losing out, which I often feel on other, stricter diets. But, not to demotivate anyone but according to the scale this morning, I weigh exactly the same as when I started the diet nearly a week ago! Like I say, tomorrow morning will be my one week weigh-in and I'm really scared that my weight will be the same or possibly even more. I was so hoping that this would be the weight-loss programme for me! Anyone else experience very slow weight loss? Please motivate me. And I haven't been exercising so my lack of weight loss is not due to muscle development.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I would (and did!) put the scales away for awhile and concentrate on doing the right things. Weight loss never goes in a straight line, and I know how discouraging it is to see all the dips and peaks of weighing once per week. I'm planning to do it once per month or less because I don't want to get discouraged when I know I'm putting in the right kind of effort.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I weigh exactly the same as when I started the diet nearly a week ago!
    A week is NOT enough time to be discouraged yet.

Did you gain all of your excess weight in one week? GIVE IT TIME (think of it as a marathon...not a sprint). Keep doing what you're doing and don't be impatient.
  • peachpearl1
    Options
    thanks for all your advice!! i tried eatiing more than just a banana at breakfast and so far it seemed to help at least a little with my hunger at night.

thanks for all the positive posts, I hope to get things on the right track for myself!
    And to answer questions yes I do exercise but am not able to increase a lot right now because it gets dark so early and I work during almost all of the light hours!! I am trying to add in some walking in the evening.
  • peachpearl1
    Options
    i have made my food and exercise public if anyone would like to view it, its really only updated for today and yesterday but i will try to keep at it, wont be updated again until tonight as i will be at work. i have been trying to eat better yesterday wasnt great but not too bad either, slightly over on everything i think(?)
    thanks!!!
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Hi if i were you id work on making brekkie esp healthy. Cut out the processed food and eat brown insteard of white bread
  • peachpearl1
    Options
    thanks!
    what is the processed foods i should be cutting out? sorry i dont really know what that means.
  • peachpearl1
    Options
    any more advice is welcome!!
    I know have a few more days for my food/exercise diary. Ive been really good about logging food, I went way over yesterday on my calories though :/