Protein: Shakes v Actual Food

Options
Hi all

I'm relatively new to MFP and am just starting to really get into working out. A lot of people seem to have various protein shakes throughout the day so I thought I'd ask some advice.

I've never tried protein shakes before but I have looked at them in shops and they seem to be mighty expensive. So, me question is this:

Is it enough to just have high protein snacks (eggs, fish etc.) or do protein shakes really make that much of a difference? I already have quite a high protein diet so I don't see there would be any benefit to spending all that cash on shakes.

As I said, I'm new to all this and am still learning about nutrition so any advice would be useful. x

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    If you can't eat enough calories during the day or get enough protein via real food, then a shake is a good alternative. Me personally, I'd rather eat my food than drink it but I also don't have insane protein requirements like some people do (especially serious weight lifters).
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Total protein intake for the day matters a great deal and this should be your main concern.

Whether you choose to get that from protein powders or foods will effect satiety and adherence, so you can't ignore that, but physiologicaly it's fine to get it from whey or fish or eggs, etc etc.

I would suggest that you use whey as a supplement and get a lot of protein through whole foods.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of protein shakes in general, but will make up a drink with some added protein when I am training for long races to up my protein and calories as otherwise I can't get enough in on those days.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I put actual food in my protein shake! (fresh strawberries and bananas)
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I just bought Whey Isolate Protien Powder from Walmart for $18.00 for a 2LB container. Protien helps build muscle, hair, skin, and causes fatique if it is too low (along with Vitamin D).
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Real food should always be your first option. Shakes and bars are good for convenience, or if you just can't get enough without supplementing.
  • blacklaceroses
    blacklaceroses Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    they are a staple in my diet
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    If you can't eat enough calories during the day or get enough protein via real food, then a shake is a good alternative. Me personally, I'd rather eat my food than drink it but I also don't have insane protein requirements like some people do (especially serious weight lifters).

This is completely untrue. It is easy to get enough protein throughout the day from "real" food. It's recommended you eat 0.82g of protein per pound of body weight every day (or 0.75-1 g/lb of lean mass). For me, that's about 180g every day. Yes, I do supplement powder in with a shake in the morning, but that is simply due to an intolerance of all dairy and eggs, and meat is very expensive. I also like my shakes. If I were to switch the powder for eggs and milk in the morning, I would easily hit my protein goal every day, without the use of a powder.

I would suggest eating as much as you can from real food, and only supplement whenever you really have to. You can get protein from dairy, eggs, lean meats, seafood, beans, some veggies, nuts, and so on. It's not as hard as you may thing. It will just require an adjustment to your diet.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Real food should always be your first option. Shakes and bars are good for convenience, or if you just can't get enough without supplementing.

this...
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Ive been equally confused by the whole protein issue - and spoke to my fitness trainer, and my reg dietitian- both said (for me doing toning, and not bulking up) that protein Im getting on a daily basis derived from the foods I eat is more than enough. My dietitian elaborated on why, and I found it fascinating - the body breaks down your body fat and converts it into whatever nutrient your body needs, be it protein, sugar, whatever and burns that energy. (I am very likely over over simplifying it.) Just like if you overeat these specific food groups your body will convert it to body fat and store it until needed. (Again, oversimplified.) So obviously my explanation is more tailored to me since I've got so much "stored protein" (:laugh: ) I probably don't need as much in my diet as say someone who is lean and doing a LOT of serious bulking.

That's just my current understanding, and my dietitian hasn't steered me wrong yet so Im trusting her :-)
  • rawfitness
    rawfitness Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is actually quite economical. A 5lb jug will run approx $54 and contains about 74 servings. The serving size contains roughly 24 g of protein. Comes out to appox 0.73 per serving. Not a bad price when compared to other forms.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    You write that your diet is already relatively high in protein. If so, whey protein shakes aren't necessary. They are fast digesting, however, and can kick start the recovery process after a tough workout.

I take a whey protein shake after my workouts. I do it mainly to ensure that I get the 160 grams a day that I need based on my size and activity level.

It's actually incorrect that whey protein powder is expensive. Walmart sells Body Fortress brand for what is the equivalent of 50 cents for a 26 g serving; that's less expensive than nearly any protein source you can find and whey is one of the best sources.
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I would always say get what you can from actual food first! And then use protein powder as a supplement if you feel you've not reached your macro's or if your workout dictates it.

I use protein shakes as a 'quite' protein fix for after my workouts as I get home pretty late (about 9:45pm ish) after the gym and I'm either am too tried/can't be bothered to grill a chicken breast (or the likes) so a shake is quick and conveniant for me ... also I do like a sweet treat in the evenings so this ticks both boxes for me.

I also use my protein powder when I bake. For example, I make Bran & Banana Breakfast Muffins on a Sunday to last me the week and the recipe calls for 3 scoops of protein powder. This with the other ingreadients make for more of a 'whole' food rather than just a protein shake.... if that makes sense...?
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

This is completely untrue. It is easy to get enough protein throughout the day from "real" food. It's recommended you eat 0.82g of protein per pound of body weight every day (or 0.75-1 g/lb of lean mass). For me, that's about 180g every day. Yes, I do supplement powder in with a shake in the morning, but that is simply due to an intolerance of all dairy and eggs, and meat is very expensive. I also like my shakes. If I were to switch the powder for eggs and milk in the morning, I would easily hit my protein goal every day, without the use of a powder.

I would suggest eating as much as you can from real food, and only supplement whenever you really have to. You can get protein from dairy, eggs, lean meats, seafood, beans, some veggies, nuts, and so on. It's not as hard as you may thing. It will just require an adjustment to your diet.

Some people are shooting for a whole lot more than that, and it can be difficult to meet if they don't want to eat an entire chicken a day (coincidentally, whole chicken for breakfast is awesome). I'm shooting for 300 grams of protein a day, and unless I do relatively odd things like have pretty much pure protein meals it can be difficult to hit my protein target without supplementing. Now I don't mind having a dinner that's just a lean steak, or eating 8 cans of tuna with 0 calorie ranch and sriracha for lunch, but that's not for everyone. Protein shakes can alleviate some of that.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

Some people are shooting for a whole lot more than that, and it can be difficult to meet if they don't want to eat an entire chicken a day (coincidentally, whole chicken for breakfast is awesome). I'm shooting for 300 grams of protein a day, and unless I do relatively odd things like have pretty much pure protein meals it can be difficult to hit my protein target without supplementing. Now I don't mind having a dinner that's just a lean steak, or eating 8 cans of tuna with 0 calorie ranch and sriracha for lunch, but that's not for everyone. Protein shakes can alleviate some of that.

I've read a few reports with credible studies sourced that eating more than 0.82g/lb of body weight has no benefit. It has been found that the body cannot process any more than that amount into the muscles for repairing and building muscle. The rest just turns into energy, which then gets burned off or stored. At that point, you might as well eat carbohydrates because protein is very expensive, and the body digests it very slowly.

Just my $0.02. If you prefer to eat more protein, go for it, but there is no nutritional benefit of doing so.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I've read a few reports with credible studies sourced that eating more than 0.82g/lb of body weight has no benefit. It has been found that the body cannot process any more than that amount into the muscles for repairing and building muscle. The rest just turns into energy, which then gets burned off or stored. At that point, you might as well eat carbohydrates because protein is very expensive, and the body digests it very slowly.

Just my $0.02. If you prefer to eat more protein, go for it, but there is no nutritional benefit of doing so.

I've seen a little bit in the way of research in that regard:
    1) I'm a lot bigger than you are. I haven't weighed myself in a few weeks but I'm around 290 right now. I shoot for 1 gram per pound of body weight as a goal (300 is round so I go with that) as a goal, and 1 gram per pound of goal body weight (240, but I use 250 for the same reason) as a minimum. It's easier and requires less mathing.

2) When I go over on protein, I feel better. I'm sure it's mostly (if not entirely) psychological, but that benefit is huge for me, especially in the gym.

3) There's a tremendous amount of anecdotal evidence to the contrary. Fully vetted scientific studies have merit, but most really strong folks that you see out there eat a lot more than 0.82 grams of protein per pound.

4) With supplements, protein really isn't that expensive. I work in Manhattan, and it's a LOT cheaper for me to have a big double serving protein shake that has over 60 grams of protein in it than it is to go out and buy lunch.

The OP was asking if protein shakes are a requirement. They definitely aren't, and if you have the option of eating real food that's probably going to be better for you. However, it can save time and potentially money to do so. Depending on what your other goals are (if you're low-carbing, for example, or if your max calorie limit is low in comparison to your protein requirement) it might require some more strigent meal choices if you do decide to go the whole food only route.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I'm not a big breakfast eater during the week, On the weekend, some eggs are great, but it's too early and too much effort to get a real breakfast done before going to work. Whipping up a quick protein shake with some peanut butter and honey added for taste and even extra protein (and if I'm feeling real fruity, I toss in a banana for fun) and a really easy way to get something in me to start the day.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I already have quite a high protein diet so I don't see there would be any benefit to spending all that cash on shakes.

What was the question again?
  • recee96
    recee96 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think protein is protein...whether you get it from food or shakes. The thing about shakes is you can watch your calorie content better with a protein shake. I personally use Jillian Michaels protein shake...$10 at Walmart. I then add fruit and water to it.
  • GreyV
    GreyV Posts: 60
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses. I think I'll just stick with my diet as is for the time being but I think I might try a protein shake for breakfast at some point. Thanks again. It's really appreciated!! :o)