Egg shell. Brown, white, red, blue, speckled-does it matter?

Options
mfp_1
mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
Egg shelll aesthetics. Brown, white, red, blue, speckled - does it matter to you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_(food)#Color_of_eggshell
...in most regions of the United States, chicken eggs are generally white.
...northeast of that country, particularly New England ... brown eggs are more common....

Brown eggs are also preferred in Costa Rica, Ireland, and the United Kingdom.

In Brazil and Poland, white chicken eggs are generally regarded as industrial, and brown or reddish ones are preferred.

The New York Times reported during the Second World War that housewives in Boston preferred brown eggs and those in New York preferred white eggs.

In the United Kingdom it is very difficult to buy white eggs, with most supermarkets supplying only the more popular brown eggs.

...in Egypt it is very hard to source brown eggs, as demand is almost entirely for white ones.[citation needed]

Research conducted in France in the 1970s demonstrated blue chicken eggs (as laid by certain breeds, including araucanas,[56] heritage skyline, and cream legbar) can be stronger and more resilient to breakage, yet an article in New Scientist magazine (contemporary with that research) stated there was little to no demand for blue-colored eggs from housewives, despite the clear advantages.[54]

...most Japanese housewives preferring the white...

Among producers and breeders, brown eggs are often referred to as "tinted", while the speckled eggs preferred by some consumers are often referred to as being "red" in color.[59]

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I prefer White Eggs.
  • newlyknit
    newlyknit Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    that is interesting information. I prefer white eggs because those are most convenient at the store. However, I always view brown eggs as 'homegrown eggs' because I remember when my grandmother kept chickens their eggs were brown. I know it all depends on the chicken, but when I was little I observed white eggs in the store and brown eggs from the barn.