Oh the Pain...

Options
Hi Guys,

So i'm not an excerciser - never been one and I decided to join a circuit training program which is held in lunch hour twice a week at work. Had my first session on Monday and oh my word by yesterday was I in pain - today I'm having to uncrouch like a little old granny every time i get up from my desk at work.

Anyway - i've another session tomorrow which my more gym friendly mates have advised me I should not cancel and should most defintiely go to. But, is there anything I can do either tonight or post workout tomorrow to try and reduce the pain as my (extremely underused) muscles recover. I'd like to be able to move this weekend if possible!

Obviously the instructor takes us through warm ups and warm downs and a few stretches.... I had a hot bath when i got in from work on Monday but that obviously made no difference at all... paracetamol hasn't helped either.

I've heard further light excercise had anecdotally been helpful and I do have a wi-fit. Would 20 mins or so of yoga on that help do you think in the evening after work?

thanks in advance for your help :-)

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen and epsom salt baths.
  • crazy_ninja
    crazy_ninja Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    How cute :)

Warm bath, soft massage, lots of sleep.

Have fun tomorrow....it will be worse it :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Either ibruprofen or tylenol.

I do find a lower intensity workout (like a walk) followed by a really good set of stretches can help. Definitely don't stretch cold or you could do more damage. I don't do baths but I'm sure that and the yoga would help too.
  • StephTink76
    StephTink76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I take a couple ibuprofin... in the past few days, I've noticed that halfway through the warm up of my workout I start feeling less pain from the previous one... so maybe a good walk to loosen things up?

~Steph
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I tell the wife to...ummm...do her wifely duties.

Usually fixes it for me.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Ibuprofen and epsom salt baths.

Yep..Epsom salts work for me :smile:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It may sound counter intuitive but keep moving (at a gentle pace) rather than using anti-inflammatory drugs (Tylenol has been linked to liver problems) try adding anti inflammatory foods (blueberries etc) to your diet.

Epsom salts(magnesium sulfate) in your bath can help with the aches & pains.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options

lol

True
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

lol

True
    And the Truth quite often hurts!
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If you've never been an exerciser, as you say, or if you've been away from exercise for a long time, starting back can be painful. Its just those muscle cells that have been dormant for a long time looking for the snooze button, getting angry and beating on the clock. Don't worry. If you keep on exercising it will definitely get easier - it may take a few days, it may take a few weeks, but it will get easier. Doing circuits, you're exercising a lot of different muscle groups, probably at quite high intensity, but being so young, you'll adjust to it and you'll be really fit within months. In 6 months you'll be wanting to do double sessions :)
  • gemini3222
    gemini3222 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do epsom salt baths, and drink lots of water to help hydrate my muscles. I usually take an advil if it's too bad.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Sounds like DOMS, ibuprofen, Epsom salt bath, time. Generally the extreme portion of the muscle soreness goes away after 72 hours and the muscle rapidly regenerates to try and prevent an injury. I say push through it!
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - never heard of epsom salts before so i will definitely see if i can pick some up and i guess just make the instructor aware if it's still so painful tomorrow so he doesn't think i'm slacking if i need to ease off. I know it will get easier - hopefully sooner rather than later!

really appreciate the help :-)
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    When I'm really sore I do an hour of flow yoga or asanas. Really takes the bit out after. But while you do it it's not fun. After I'm finished cold shower after helps with inflamation. Then the next day hot. I treat hard workouts where I know I'm Bdsm sore like an injure. Therefore unhappy but cold shower. I used to sit in a very cold lake in the spring out side my house for a bit. Then shows. Really helped.
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Similar to how a baseball pitcher will ice his arm. Or other athletes ice their legs.
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I started doing the 30 Day Shred recently and I'm stiff and sore all over. I found doing the easier yoga exercises on the Wii Fit helped me a lot, just gently stretching eases the muscles.
  • MattTheWaterRat
    MattTheWaterRat Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    NO (nitrous oxide) supplement reduces recovery time between workouts.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Ummm...rest up and then try again next week? Exercise--->recovery.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do to alleviate the soreness in your muscles after a workout is to do the workout again a couple of days later. That will get the blood flowing to them, which will help with the repairs and flushing out all the dead tissue.

Do the workout, but don't go 100%. You will feel a lot better.

However, if it is serious pain, then skip it. If it's just sore/tight, then work it!
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Glutamine can also help with recovery -- I take BCAAs and glutamine each time I lift.... Stick with it. I know when I'm sore, resting too much makes it worse. Don't baby it, but don't hurt yourself. Get up and MOVE :) No pain, no gain!