Anyone else with RA and/or fibromyalgia?

Options
Hi there! I'm new to myfitnesspal and pretty new to trying to lose weight. I've got about 25lbs I'd like to lose in the hopes that it will ease up some of my pain. I was just diagnosed with RA in September and I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in December. I'm lucky that medications seem to be keeping both of them somewhat under control but I still have a good deal of pain and fatigue. I'd love to find some other people going through these same health issues so that we can keep each other motivated through the pain! I'm having a hard time pushing myself to really exercise and watch my diet when I feel so exhausted and in pain. Anyone else having these same issues and want to keep each other motivated?:happy:

Replies

• mikmurphy
    mikmurphy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hello , I followed you from looking at your profile as you posted under the topic about looking for some friends. I have fibro also. See disjointed sentence above ^ for example of fibro fog lol. I had a bad flare after a pregnancy that has calmed down over the last year but the fatigue and pains are still present so I understand. Add me if you want :-)
  • MeABride2B
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Fibro 3 years ago....
    I'm struggling right now because it seems that I have some medications that are interacting so we are working on that...

The hardest part for me was just to get moving. Once I did, I am usually fine.
    Start simply- a 20-30 min walk, etc. See how your body responds not just the day of but the day after. Then you can go from there.
    All I want to be able to do is run, but it just isn't feasible right now with my body.
    I'm swimming 1-2x's a week and doing some cardio/weights with a trainer. She is great about finding creative ways to get me moving but also being able taking it easy on my joints.
    A consultation with a trainer may be worthwhile if you're just starting out.

Feel free to add me if you'd like :)
  • maryseberrie
    Options
    I have both RA and fibro and I can tell you when I am flairing up it is hard to work out!
    I try to diet hard when I am going through tough times.
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    hi, I have fibromyalgia & hurt almost all the time. I take lyrica for it everyday but still stay in pain. perhaps we can talk & encourage each other
  • Cheryl1018
    Options
    I have a lot of arthritis and am not even 50 yet. I had a complete hysterectomy when I was in my 20's so I have a lot of issues with joint pain and fatigue. Feel free to add me as a buddy, I definately understand how you feel.
  • mackzaj
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm in the middle of being diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis (not sure which one yet!), I was diagnosed with FM a few years ago and some newly discovered osteoarthritis in my back.

I will not let it get in my way though! I did week 1, day one of C25K yesterday and am a bit sore today, but nowhere near what I thought I would be. I wanted to lose 25lbs first, and I did, and here I am! Every extra 10lbs of body weight is 40lbs of pressure on your joints, so losing weight is best. I work at The Arthritis Society in Canada, so if you need info or support, friend me!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I've had RA since I was a teen, and unhappily added osteo arthritis to the mix about 7 years ago. Good times. Not. I've been fortunate to not have fibro.

You will have to try a few things to figure out what works best for you, for prevention of attacks, and relief when you're having them. Heat seems to help me a lot. I have a couple of those microwave bean bags (in Canada they are marketed under the name 'Magic Bag'). They help immensely. I mostly get by with over the counter Naproxen, (Aleve), but on occasion have had to get a Rx for stronger dosage.

I have to keep my neck warm (that's where the OA attacks me). If I get a chill there, I'm more likely to have an attack.

Doing things to help my flexibility seems to help (I make sure I do all my stretching post-workout). And I've noticed fewer attacks in my legs as I've been losing weight.

I also sleep in a heated bed, and I swear, if it wasn't for that, I'd be half-crippled by now.

Feel free to add me if you like.
  • Bikini_Beast
    Options
    I have both and raise you a Hashimoto's :laugh:
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I've got RA, too. Been dealing with it since I was a kid, but not diagnosed until I was 28. I'm 44 now. It doesn't get in my way too much, other than flares here and there. Staying active helps the most, but I've been slacking. The extra 25lbs I've put on in the last five years doesn't help, either :o
  • grammiejul
    grammiejul Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia too. I was diagnosed with it about 26 years ago. Although it was hard at first, the more I can move and exercise, the more energy I seem to have. One exercise that really helps me is water aerobics. You can get in a good workout without hurting your joints. I did that, once a week for almost a year. Then, I added in a day of circuit training. Now, I am up to that three days a week. Walking is really great too. You can do that in small, slow steps so that your allow your system to get used to exercise slowly.

Please feel free to add me, I am logged in daily.
  • maggiemay22467
    maggiemay22467 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have Arthritis and Crohns and have alot of pain. I hope with my eating change it will help with my pain. I have been on here for 5 weeks and my Crohns is better my Arthritis is still bad. I am going to keep doing MFP for my health.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I have severe neuropathy in my feet, legs and chest and am on 12 pills a day to help keep the pain under control but I still have pain and fatigue. I don't have your conditions but I do have constant pain and fatigue. Please feel free to add me for support and encouragement.
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    I have FM too. I'm wondering how many of you take Vit D3 to help with symptoms? Since I've started it, my symptoms have greatly decreased. There is a lot of info online about the link...my doctor however was the one that recommended it.
  • AsaraFuriosa
    AsaraFuriosa Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I was diagnosed with Fibro at 14yrs old and I'm now 33yrs. The pain could get debilitating especially during winter and rainy seasons. I've discovered you can be any weight and fibro will put you down. The BEST way to combat Fibro is getting in shape! You've got to get your muscles strong again!

I've lost about 90lbs. I started sooooo slowly. I cried because it was so painful but I knew it'd get better! Walking on my treadmill at low speed and light yoga and cardio on my wii. Now I'm extremely happy to say I've completed workouts such as P90X, Insanity, and I'm finishing up Turbo Fire now. Although I rarely have a flare up nowadays, the hurricane put me down for a bit. That's alright because I'm back up and I'm doing this on my own and without medication. (No doctor prescribed pain relief for me!)

I've got around 26lbs to go. I totally open to friend requests as support in weightloss as well as Fibro is always helpful. Anyone is welcome to read my profile and send a request! :-) We can all do this!
  • ThereOnceWasAUnionMaid
    Options
    I've sent friend requests to all of you ladies :)
    It's good to hear that there are other people out there dealing with this pain and fatigue and still loosing weight and getting in shape! Hopefully we can all help each other through the pain to the success.
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have fibro, too and I have enjoyed water aerobics. I also like gentle yoga. Peggy Cappy is a wonderful yoga instructor and she has many dvd's that have helped me with my back pain and fibro pain. Her website: http://www.peggycappy.net/ You can also get her dvd's on amazon.com

BTW, we are already friends, but I want to be helpful in any way I can
  • SkinnyFattoo
    Options
    Hi! I have fibromyalgia too (have had it for years), and also have some osteoarthritis in my hands which is really annoying;) This time of year is the toughest for me (from Nov. thru Feb. I really battle with fatigue). But diet and exercise definitely help. Hang in there, it will get easier! You may want to try some of the stuff my doctor has me taking: prescription-strength Vitamin D, a super B maxi-complex, an extra dose of vitamin B-12 (1000 mcg daily), and DHA. I can't tolerate any of the new "fibro" drugs: Savella, Cymbalta and Lyrica make me sick and crazy ;)

I sort of mix up my exercise routine and stick to moderate stuff like beginner zumba, Pilates reformer, light weight training, and LOTS of stretching. I tried a trampoline aerobic-boot camp class and it was SO much fun but almost killed me ;)

I hope your pain subsides by the day, and I swear that spring, summer and early fall will be easier! Please feel free to add me.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I have FM too. I'm wondering how many of you take Vit D3 to help with symptoms? Since I've started it, my symptoms have greatly decreased. There is a lot of info online about the link...my doctor however was the one that recommended it.

My daughter has FM and Seronegative arthritis which is probably going to be soon labeled RA. She has a lot of pain and doesn't ever seem to get better. How much vitamin D are you taking? I have her taking Omega 3s in the hopes that it helps with the prescription meds she is taking now.
  • prettypinkscarf
    Options
    I also have fibromyalgia. I found it really hard to get started with exercising but now that I do, I feel less pain in general (aside from muscle soreness after a workout) and sleep better, leading to a little bit more energy (my chronic fatigue syndrome still keeps me feeling tired though). I avoid anything high impact, at least for now. I also went from exercising five days a week to three because I couldn't handle multiple days of exercise in a row.

I also pause my strength workouts (I'm doing blogilates) if my muscles start to really burn. I realize some burn is normal, but because of my fibro, my muscles hurt quickly and severely.
  • VarnerChic
    VarnerChic Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Although I have not officially been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, I have all of the symptoms. I have had numerous tests done and all seem to eventually point to FM. I haven't had health insurance for a few years, so I have not pursued an official diagnoses.

That said I started out slow. With FM you absolutely cannot overdo it. Slow and gradual is the key. I started out by walking with a few rounds of jogging thrown in. That was in January. Now, I have completed a half marathon, run religiously, circuit train, do yoga, and cross-fit type training. I'm in the best shape of my life.

The bad news? I still hurt. This week has been one of those "fibro fog", oversleep one day, awake all night the next, my feet, knees, shoulders, and fingers HURT kind of week.

I joke that my body is a better weatherman than the weatherman and I struggle through the fall and winter.

I have noticed that certain foods really affect my pain levels. My big triggers are bell peppers, dairy, and chocolate.

Also, not drinking enough water makes me hurt.

I take aleve all the time and ibuprofen if it becomes unbearable. Ice and heat can help some too for specific areas that are hurting.

You CAN have a quality life with FM. The first step is to decide that you want to LIVE and not be imprisoned by the fact that you have this to deal with. =)