New runner question?

Options
I have never been able to run in my life. Body just wouldn't cooperate. I am not to the point that I can (and do) run. Today was my 6th run and I do 3k (3.2 miles) each time. I may not be fast. Started at 16 minute mile and am already at a 13.3 mile.

But my question to all of you runners... When do you consider yourself a runner? I feel like I am a tryer and feel a bit strange claiming I am a runner at this time.

But have bought the shoes and get up regularly at 4:50 and do my run. So I suppose I just might be.

Replies

• kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I am a runner because I say I am.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Being a runner is a state of mind (with the obvious caveat that you actually have to get out the door and run :laugh: ). If you run you're a runner.

I run therefore I am..........
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    You run: you're a runner.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Just say to yourself: "I run therefore I am a runner". Because you are.

Speed and endurance will come, but as long as you're out there, you are a runner.

Keep at it and enjoy!
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to run in my life. Body just wouldn't cooperate. I am not to the point that I can (and do) run. Today was my 6th run and I do 3k (3.2 miles) each time. I may not be fast. Started at 16 minute mile and am already at a 13.3 mile.

But my question to all of you runners... When do you consider yourself a runner? I feel like I am a tryer and feel a bit strange claiming I am a runner at this time.

But have bought the shoes and get up regularly at 4:50 and do my run. So I suppose I just might be.
    Not that it matters but 3k is 1.8 miles, and if you leave the house and run even slowly, you are a runner, same with a dreadmill, anything faster than 5mph is running.
  • jenlipe
    jenlipe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks. It would feel good to say I am a runner. Just didin't want to have those that have been running give me a hard time and say I wasn't if I haven't ________ (fill in the blank).
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

Even without the shoes, if you go out the door and do more than just walk, you're a runner. The fact that you feel the need to talk about it is proof that you're a runner. Us runners often find ways to interject running into the conversation. I think you're in the club for sure simply by posting this topic.
    Started at 16 minute mile and am already at a 13.3 mile.
    See, that's progress right there. I'm not terribly fast either so don't compare yourself to everyone else. I'm doing about a 9:00 mile during workouts but I work with some guys that do 7:00 mile workouts. It's not big deal. Everyone is encouraging and supportive no matter what your speed is. The only qualification is that you get out there and do it. You're doing it so be proud.

My advice, don't worry about speed. Just see if you can slowly creep up on endurance and distance. The speed will work it's way in automatically just as a side effect.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I am a *runner* as soon as my foot hits the pavement!

You are a runner as soon as you go for a *run*

You are a runner because you say you are!
  • Bossit
    Bossit Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    when you look forward to getting out for a run
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    If you run you're a runner :)
  • determined136
    Options
    :bigsmile: Do you enjoy it???

Do you want to do it???

Do you feel amazing when you are done???

THEN YOU ARE A RUNNER!!!! Who cares how fast you are.... you are doing it!

WTG!!!!!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I called myself a runner when I realized I missed it if I didn't get in it that day. Or when I wanted to research running on the internet.
  • mgnmsn
    mgnmsn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I am a runner because I want to run. I have this burning desire. Rest days make me sad. I did not believe this at first. It was not until my first 5k that I realized that this was my criteria for being a runner. I suppose you will have a moment of realization, I had mine while running up the last hill toward the finish line. I almost cried on the route at that moment! ha.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options

Admit it, there's a secret handshake you're holding out on me.

I know what you mean, OP. I'm getting times comparable to the speed walkers at 5ks. But I still feel pretty badass. Slow, but badass.
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Some people think that there is a difference in jogging and running. There isn't. Jogging is running. Sprinting is running. Both are running just for different speeds and distances.
  • Ann1964x
    Options
    runners are very supportive & they will not tell you that you are not a runner. I hope not anyway.
    keep at it.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options

I know what you mean, OP. I'm getting times comparable to the speed walkers at 5ks. But I still feel pretty badass. Slow, but badass.

As you should! Runners are badass! And we do not have a secret handshake....willing to share it with anyone....no touching aloud...you just put one foot in front of the other over and over again!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options

no one told you about the handshake? It's in your manual. P2. Just after the section on "Staying Safe" but before "Myths Debunked: Cardio makes you fat and running is bad for your knees"
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I like your post. I've often thought the same thing. I'm slow so therefore I cannot claim to be a runner. I "jog" 11min miles consistently. But, maybe perhaps I can claim to be a runner and not feel bad about it now...I love it! Keep up the good work girl! :bigsmile:
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I like your post. I've often thought the same thing. I'm slow so therefore I cannot claim to be a runner. I "jog" 11min miles consistently. But, maybe perhaps I can claim to be a runner and not feel bad about it now...I love it! Keep up the good work girl! :bigsmile:

Your *jog* is my *run* therefore I'm a runner and you can be too ;-)