Pregnant and...

Options
Hello my name is Mariah. I am 24 years old and expecting my first child.

I have been over weight since the age of 12 and was finally starting to get on track when I was told I would be having a baby.

For the first few weeks I shut down, because this pregnancy was not planned in the least and I thought. " holy cow, I am already fat not I am just going to get bigger."

So, I ate whatever I wanted and didn't track. Then it hit me when my doctor said, that for my size I would be fine if I only gained 10 pounds. So, now I am trying really hard to watch what I am eating and start tracking again

I am already have some great friends but I am look for more. Please feel free to add me, so we can help each other on our journeys.

Replies

• Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I hope you find lots of support Mariah. You sound like you have a good idea about how to handle this now. Sharon
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    WELCOME

I'm also pregnant with my first and have been very successful at managing my pregnancy weight gain here on MFP. Feel free to add me!
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hi Mariah, and congrats! I am also pregnant..26 weeks tomorrow! When we found out I weighed 129 and a had a normal BMI but I'm afraid my cravings have gotten the best of me and I've gained a bit more than I had originally wanted to. Now I'm back on here to try and keep track of everything and hopefully not go overboard for the rest of the pregnancy.
    Please feel free to add me as a friend! Good luck :smile:
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I truly believe there is no reason to gain weight while pregant. The baby actually burns up to 300 more calories a day. If you gain more than 20 or so pounds (which shoudl be gone shortly after giving birth) then you are simply just eating too much. I had 3 babies over 8 pounds and returned to my pre-pregnancy weight or less within weeks.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I truly believe there is no reason to gain weight while pregant. The baby actually burns up to 300 more calories a day. If you gain more than 20 or so pounds (which shoudl be gone shortly after giving birth) then you are simply just eating too much. I had 3 babies over 8 pounds and returned to my pre-pregnancy weight or less within weeks.

You've obviously never suffered from severe, all day morning sickness or SPD
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    you can do it.I actually lost weight during my second pregnancy. I had pre-gestational diabetes.