Eating Less amounts more times daily

Options
124»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You'll want to eat 5 times a day to keep your metabolism up and running effectively to lose weight! I'm here if you need anything. Just ask, I can help :)

I would suggest reading the thread and you will realize it's not a requirement to do this.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    You'll want to eat 5 times a day to keep your metabolism up and running effectively to lose weight! I'm here if you need anything. Just ask, I can help :)

As psulemon has said, try reading the thread and the links. There are multiple studies that prove that frequency of nutrition has not impact on metabolism or lipolysis. So, no, you can't really help if this is what your are offering.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Can you please read this? It would help me a lot.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    eating 4-6 smaller meals a day is good especially if you want to lose fat. you want to keep your bodies metabolic rate up so you can burn the fat.

Did you even read the rest of the thread?? The links?? Any of it?? Eating has no effect on metabolism. None. Nada, Zip, Zilch. You can't eat your way to weight loss by eating more often.

first of all the greatest thing i ever did was see a dietician/nutritionist and she seems to agree with what i said...

second i said nothing about losing weight i said losing fat and there is a big difference between fat loss and weight loss

the method of 4-6 smaller meals is what body builder use to look the way they look
    Unfortunately, a lot of body builders believe in myths. Look up lean gains and you will see plenty of people gaining muscle while eating within a short window period.

there is not one way to do anything, if it works for you do it, all i know is that my greatest success comes for eating 4-6 smaller meals a day. eating three meals a day my weight was going down but i was not getting as "lean" as i would like.

most people say protein is the best way to build lean muscle mass but there is a mma dude who is ripped and he is a vegetarian.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    there is not one way to do anything, if it works for you do it, all i know is that my greatest success comes for eating 4-6 smaller meals a day. eating three meals a day my weight was going down but i was not getting as "lean" as i would like.

And there's nothing wrong with that, but you can't conclude that eating frequently boosts metabolism, you can only conclude that 4-6 smaller meals gives you greater success.

It's been studied numerous times and the thermogenic effect of feeding is based on caloric intake and macro composition. It's not frequency based. The energy expenditure that you use to process food doesn't change whether you eat the food all at once (1 giant meal requiring a lot of energy to process) or several small ones (each requiring a small portion of energy to process).
  • amann1976
    Options
    Excluding those people using this site for accountability, what do the 40% of Americans who are obese do when they only eat 2-3 1,000 calorie meals (read fast food) a day. What happens to the calories they don't burn because they are couch potatoes? Does their metabolism just utilze what they eat over time?

It's simple. If they are in calorie surplus they store them as fat, thus why they are obese. But the reason they are obese is the caloric surplus not the frequency of eating. They cycle goe something like. Eat a big meal, store what you don't need to use immediatly, don't eat for awhile, oxidize the energy you stored after eating. If you are in surplus, you don't oxidize all of it. If you are at maintenance, you do. If you are in deficit you oxidize all of it plus some previously stored fat.

This is going on with all of us 24 hours per day.

there are just as many articles and studies on the internet that state the opposite too. point being you can find anything you want to support any side of any argument if you look hard enough.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    eating 4-6 smaller meals a day is good especially if you want to lose fat. you want to keep your bodies metabolic rate up so you can burn the fat.

Did you even read the rest of the thread?? The links?? Any of it?? Eating has no effect on metabolism. None. Nada, Zip, Zilch. You can't eat your way to weight loss by eating more often.

first of all the greatest thing i ever did was see a dietician/nutritionist and she seems to agree with what i said...

second i said nothing about losing weight i said losing fat and there is a big difference between fat loss and weight loss

the method of 4-6 smaller meals is what body builder use to look the way they look
    Unfortunately, a lot of body builders believe in myths. Look up lean gains and you will see plenty of people gaining muscle while eating within a short window period.

most people say protein is the best way to build lean muscle mass but there is a mma dude who is ripped and he is a vegetarian.

You can't based your results on one person and I can bet that MMA person is still getting 200g's or more from their vegan diet. Also, eating more meals does NOT boost your metabolism. Exercise, specifically resistances training, and increasing lean body mass will increase your metabolism. Outside of that, very little actually increase your metabolic rate.

Also, I have to ask, when you increased your frequency, did you increase calories too or change your workout routine? Also, increasing frequency can be beneficial for some as it increase satiety properties and decreases splurging.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Excluding those people using this site for accountability, what do the 40% of Americans who are obese do when they only eat 2-3 1,000 calorie meals (read fast food) a day. What happens to the calories they don't burn because they are couch potatoes? Does their metabolism just utilze what they eat over time?

It's simple. If they are in calorie surplus they store them as fat, thus why they are obese. But the reason they are obese is the caloric surplus not the frequency of eating. They cycle goe something like. Eat a big meal, store what you don't need to use immediatly, don't eat for awhile, oxidize the energy you stored after eating. If you are in surplus, you don't oxidize all of it. If you are at maintenance, you do. If you are in deficit you oxidize all of it plus some previously stored fat.

This is going on with all of us 24 hours per day.

there are just as many articles and studies on the internet that state the opposite too. point being you can find anything you want to support any side of any argument if you look hard enough.

please post some.. I am always willing to look at more professional studies.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Articles and random blogs, sure.

Studies? No.

If so, show me one please. One comparing isocaloric intakes with equal macros but varying meal frequencies.
  • amann1976
    Options

there is a difference between eating 4-6 small meals a day and eating 3 meals plus 3 snacks like the one group did in a study.

the only control in that study was that each group had the same amount of calories...

my meals consist of a lean protein and a fibrous carb and depending on the time of day i may add a complex carb like a brown rice or yams
  • SideSteel
    Options

there is a difference between eating 4-6 small meals a day and eating 3 meals plus 3 snacks like the one group did in a study.

the only control in that study was that each group had the same amount of calories...

Umm......
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

<<<<Vegetarian female. 159g protein today. Argument does not compute. (also, 2 meal eater, with nice carby bedtime snack.)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

First of all, she is either a dietician or a nutritionist, big difference between the two. Second of all, if you lose fat, how can you not lose weight, specially if you need eat at a deficit to fat. Third point, body builders don't eat 4-6 meals for the purpose of keeping their metabolic rate up, they eat often because they have such great macro demands. You ever try getting in 5000-6000 calories or more in 2-3 meals? It's rather difficult to maintain that caloric intake.

You seem to not know much from actual experience, you spew a bunch of bro science. I'd love to see a picture of you, since you claim to know so much about how to lose fat and gain muscle, I'd expect you to be rock solid. Plus, I recall you claimed to be able to bench over 300 lbs, so unless if you're under 200 lbs and low body fat%, I think you'll full of hot air.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

The whole point is the it does not matter as to how many times a day you eat. Its preference. It would work for me from a physiological perspective if I ate 10 times a day or 1 time a day assuming I could keep my calories and macros the same. The issue is preference as to the best way for an individual to meet those targets. For some it only a few meals a day, for others its more.

What has being a vegetarian got to do with getting enough protein?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

<<<<Vegetarian female. 159g protein today. Argument does not compute. (also, 2 meal eater, with nice carby bedtime snack.)

<---- me too, only I was a bit lower than usual and only had about 130g. And I eat ice cream in bed before going to sleep every single night.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I noticed that one one of your posts on a different thread you were recommending Burn the Fat by Tom Venuto.

You may want to update your copy and keep a little more up to date as to current thinking as Venuto has since clarified his stance on meal frequency - I direct your attention to this article:

http://www.leangains.com/2008/07/tom-venuto-responds-to-criticism.html

Extract:

"yes there will be a new edition. Burn the Fat 2.0 may get released later this year, or at the latest early 2009.

heres what you will see in the new edition:

You will still see me recommend 5-6 small meals per day,and rather strongly. But not dogmatically. What you wont hear me say is that 6 meals increases metabolism or weight loss over 3 meals at an equal caloric intake.

You will also not hear me say that your metabolism slows down if you miss a single meal"

another extract

" Even if we (bodybuilders) did some dumb stuff (we did, LOL) or believed some dumb stuff (we did!)."
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it can help if you have insulin issues, but otherwise it has no effect on your metabolism. it's pretty much all down to personal preference. some people are grazers and snackers and the 5-6 meals will work best for them.
    i'm abig eater so i prefer 2-3 large meals. some of my meals are sometimes over 1000 calories. i still continue to lose fat regardless
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Like most people have said, it is purely personal preference. Personally for me too many meals made it too easy for me to go over my calorie budget. All that matters is a calorie budget. As long as you can remain in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. As long as you maintain a calorie budget you can maintain your dream weight. I lost 60 lbs, and I've maintained for over a year, and I'm the fittest and strongest I've ever been in my life at almost age 52.

And yes, my avatar is ME at 51 years old.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I eat two large meals a day (weekends I have a late breakfast after the gym of eggs and bacon) and eat 500 - 1000 cals over maintenance (3200 - 3600 cals) on training days and maintenance or slightly under on rest days;

I eat the majority of my carbs (300g+) after 6pm and enjoy apple pie and ice cream during this time but most of my carbs come from white rice and sweet potato.

In the last 7 months of eating like this I have maintained my weight at 88-90kgs and my bf% has dropped approx 1% a month.

Lots of others are using the same protocol (carb backloading) to lean up and build muscle.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Like most people have said, it is purely personal preference. Personally for me too many meals made it too easy for me to go over my calorie budget. All that matters is a calorie budget. As long as you can remain in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. As long as you maintain a calorie budget you can maintain your dream weight. I lost 60 lbs, and I've maintained for over a year, and I'm the fittest and strongest I've ever been in my life at almost age 52.

And yes, my avatar is ME at 51 years old.

Your post is accurate. Thanks for not spamming with the links. I looked back over the thread and I didn't see where anyone asked if you avatar was you. What does that have to do with the topic of the thread? Bragging? Attention whoring?? What?