Running in the dark

Options
While this is my favorite time of year, the days are undeniably getting shorter and I'm finding it hard to find a time to run. I can't go before work because sunrise is now around 7:15 and it's tough after work because sunset's somewhere around 6:30 or so - unless I dash home quickly and go back out the door (I live close to where I work). I'm wary of running in the dark and hate the treadmill. Anyone else have the same problem? What do you do? Any suggestions?

Replies

• jennm72
    jennm72 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I actually just was trying to decide what to do as well. I really don't want to move indoors, but that is probably what I will have to do. Sorry I am not much help!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Get a headlamp and some reflective gear and get out there and run in the dark. It's fun!
  • jamielynn020610
    jamielynn020610 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem. What I usually do is I will either do my walking at lunch or take a 20 minute break during the afternoon and walk here at work too. I usually try to get out of the house no later 6:15pm to be finished by 7:15. But that is another reason why I have started doing workout videos at home because of it get darker soon.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I concur. Get a head lamp and some reflective gear and get out there.

I do tend to stick to well lit streets and keep to the sidewalks.
  • embercakez
    Options
    It makes me nervous to run in the dark as well. I suggest running with a gun, knife or even a car key. Car keys work great when you stab them into someones eyeball.
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    The days I work from home, my run is at lunch. A few weeks ago, I participated in an official night time race where we were given a head lamp and I'm seriously considering using it for my early morning runs the days I have to go into the office (I also bought reflective snap bands). The treadmill just doesn't do it for me :(
  • soccerlady80
    soccerlady80 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Your local middle or high school track might be an option when the students are not using it.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I concur. Get a head lamp and some reflective gear and get out there.

I do tend to stick to well lit streets and keep to the sidewalks.

This! I love running in the dark!!
  • tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My husband runs in the dark with our labradoodle. We bought a super-stretch headlamp that she wears above her collar.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Get a headlamp and some reflective gear and get out there and run in the dark. It's fun!

+1

or run at lunchtime?
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've been trail running in the evening wearing a headlamp. I have a couple friends I go with. My pace is slower but at least I am getting out!
  • kristamarie91
    kristamarie91 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer it because it makes me feel less self conscious AND there are less people around the neighborhood to bump into and cars if you have to cross the street! I wear light colored clothing because I don't like the reflective stuff. I have a flashlight that I run with and keep it towards the ground, a little weird, but it works for me.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Chart out your course/courses over light during the weekend. You can go to www.walkjogrun.com and map this out and it will accurately measure out for you your distance. I look for well lit streets and smooth sidewalks. I make sure I have reflective gear on and have a blinker (Amphipod; cheap and battery lasts forever) I can turn on for those parts of the run where I feel 'light' compromised. I would have it on the whole time but I guess i'm a bit shy about it, lol. Running specialty shops have all of this stuff. I personally have not needed a headlamp but keep a small flashlight in my pocket in case I need it. Try to run against traffic and have fun!
  • dsmboy1991
    dsmboy1991 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I actually find it more peaceful to run at night. However I usually have one, if not both of my dogs with me. I do agree with the reflective gear though.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer it because it makes me feel less self conscious AND there are less people around the neighborhood to bump into and cars if you have to cross the street! I wear light colored clothing because I don't like the reflective stuff. I have a flashlight that I run with and keep it towards the ground, a little weird, but it works for me.

This is how I felt last night. I also have a dog that makes me more secure that I am not out in the dark alone.
  • ShellyakaLady
    ShellyakaLady Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have an idea switch your running outside to running the stairs. If you have stairs within your home or even at work... Trust me this will help. I use to walk 5 flights of stairs at my old job for 5 minutes every hour but not everyday and by the springtime the weight start falling off of me. Everyone was saying how I was losing weight and fast but I didn't realize it and I totally forgot I was walking the stairs.

But imagine if you do it daily for at least 15 - 20 mins - trust me it's a great workout....
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Put me in the headlamp and reflective gear camp. I'm out 5 something in the morning. I do have a pair of flashing red lights that I also wear.

You can find good headlamps at your local running store. If not there, Petzl and Black Diamond are two good brands. They are lighter, smaller and more stable than the less expensive units you can get at Walmart, Target, etc. I've run in both and the difference is night and day (pun intended). Still the top brands aren't outrageous in price.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Running in the dark is peaceful. Unless u live somewhere where bears or cougars are hunting at night, go for it.
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options

^^^ this. I forgo the headlamp because "I've been running the same route all summer, I know where the sidewalk pitfalls are". Of course some kid is going to leave their skateboard out next week and I'll end up in the ER. I plan to get a headlamp.

I also agree with staying on lit streets. I'm a guy and I do it for safety and if I bite it I want there to be people to see me in case there is a good samaritan among them.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    My weekly runs are only 45 mins so I do them over my lunch break :) It's a great way to get out of the office for a bit and you enjoy the peak of winter sunshine!