Protein macro question.

Options
emtjmac
emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
Everything I've read says that I should get anywhere from 0.8-1g of protein for every lb of body weight but my default macro set by MFP is 70g per day. I weigh 265. What gives? I'm not sure I need 1g of protein for every lb because I'm not strength training. I just run 3 days per week. I do plan to start a strength routing at some point.

Replies

• bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    The default is a minimum, which is confusing. Change it under "My Home" "Goals" - select "change goals" and choose manual.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    MFP's default for protein is dreadfully low. You should customize your macros and micros by going to My Home>>Goals>>Change Goals>>Custom. Save your changes.

My macros are set to 45/30/25 carbs/protein/fat. Protein should be anywhere from 30-40% of total calories.

I also recommend increasing your fiber and decreasing the default sodium to 1800-2300mg per day, the lower the better.

That rule of thumb you mentioned is based on LEAN body weight (i.e. muscles), not total body weight.

Don't delay weight lifting, start NOW.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read says that I should get anywhere from 0.8-1g of protein for every lb of body weight but my default macro set by MFP is 70g per day. I weigh 265. What gives? I'm not sure I need 1g of protein for every lb because I'm not strength training. I just run 3 days per week. I do plan to start a strength routing at some point.

If you are overweight, don't go by body weight to figure how much protein. Go by lean body mass.
    http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I go over MFP on protein nearly every day. Good thing to know it's a minimum setting.