Yoplait changed

I was eating Yoplait Light yogurt as a pretty significant part of my food intake. It's convenient to take to work, and it comes in fun flavors. But lately I wasn't looking forward to any of the flavors at lunch. I switched to Greek yogurt. After a period of adjusting to the lesser sweetness, I'm sticking with it.

But a friend pointed out that she was getting more of an aspartame aftertaste from it now. The calories have decreased from 100 to 90, so it makes sense they're using more aspartame in the mix. I looked into it and found out that Yoplait was recently sold to a new company, General Mills. So they bought something that was successful and had a loyal following and proceeded to change it. Why do companies do that??

I also found out that General Mills is trying to catch up to the Greek Yogurt trend. But instead of actually straining the yogurt, they are adding "milk protein concentrate" (MPC) to thicken it. They're in court fighting a class action suit that says that it's neither Greek nor yogurt and shouldn't be labeled (and priced) as such.

I haven't heard anything specifically bad about MPC. It's not approved by the FDA for any foods, and it's all imported, but it's imported from New Zealand. Probably it's milk from pretty, fluffy sheep. I don't know. But adding unapproved additives to a food that you're selling to people looking for something healthy seems like a bad business decision. I guess they're in a panic that people are eating yogurt instead of cereal for breakfast.

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Yoplait is garbage. Go with Chobani, Fage or make your own.
  • kfitzpa
    kfitzpa Posts: 326

Agreed!
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624

Yoplait leaves a bad after taste (even before they switched) - Chobani Pineapple is OUTSTANDING!!!
  • Good read, thanks for the insight. I had a moment of freak out and ran to my fridge to see if that's what I bought...but it's all good guys I have Chobani lol
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,173 Member
    After I found Chobani, I gave the other stuff to the b/f to finish for me. I'll never buy Yoplait or Activia again.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    I'm eating the Chobani, but my store only has a few flavors of the 0%. (I don't like the taste of fermented fat in regular yogurt.) Yoplait had enough to have variety.