Losing Weight but not Inches!?

Options
Thankfully, I have lost 6lbs so far using MFP which has been a great tool to reflect on what I am eating, my exercise and accountability. However, recording my measurements it appears as though despite losing 6 lbs, my measurements have remained the same? This is disheartening considering I am trying to lose inches & tone after having a baby 9 month ago.

Any feedback or advice?

Replies

• Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    If you are like me then you will be one of the very lucky people who lose weight very evenly all over and not just in 'spots'. I didn't lose anything inch wise for close to 15 lbs but then magically everything was a little smaller. Don't give up :)
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Have you noticed the number of people who post "Losing inches but not weight"?
    It'll balance in time.
  • HealthyUpward
    HealthyUpward Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Really? I just keep thinking, "How can I be losing 6lbs but not notice it!" Perhaps you're right and it will just be gradual for me? Thanks!
  • ethansmug
    ethansmug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    How much do you have to lose?

Everyone's body is different and will react differently, and if you have a bit to lose 6 lbs is not going to show too much.

I am big (nicer word than "fat") guy and have just now started seeing physical results after about 40 lbs lost.

Keep at it and your tape measure will soon reward you with the results you are looking for =]
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It depends to some extent how much fat you have on your body to start with, but for me, I have to lose quite a few pounds to see any difference in inches. This was particularly true when I was bigger. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

What kind of exercise are you doing? If you haven't already, I'd consider adding in some strength training to help maintain your lean (muscle) mass as you lose. Losing fat while keeping as much muscle as possible will help with getting the "toned" look you're after.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    6 pounds isn't much. Its hard to notice that bit of a loss. I didn't notice till after 20lbs. You lose all over your body and 6 pounds spread out is hard to see. Most people noticed my face wasn't so puffy anymore, my neck and shoulders slimmed down and then I noticed my bra band was loose. Pants got loose after 20 lbs as well. I lost 6 pounds my first week doing WW and they told me thats mostly water weight. Then the 2nd week another 4 lbs. Now I average 1.9 pounds per week. Some weeks nothing and then boom I"ll go down 2lbs. Just stick with it, drink loads of water and set small goals for yourself. Don't be upset if you don't see immediate changes.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Looking at your profile I see that your goal is to lose 15 pounds and tone up after having had a baby. You probably won't see much change in inches just by losing the 15 pounds. You will need to do strength training and/or body sculpting to get the results you want.