Does quitting make me weak?

Options
So I started at a university this fall as a junior (I transferred from community college), and I decided that I would try out for the rowing team, thinking that it would be a fun way to get into shape and get to know some people in my new town. It turned out to be much more of a time commitment that I had anticipated (15hrs/wk) and I'm thinking maybe it's not worth it. I think it would be fine if I was a freshman, because I'd likely have easier classes and 4 full years to do all the things I need to do, but as a junior I only have 2, MAYBE 2.5 years to complete the kinds of things that will aid me in my career later (research, international stuff) and I'm taking classes that require serious attention. I fear that the rowing will take up too much time and will restrict my ability to do this other necessary stuff, and it's a year-long commitment!

My fear, though, is that I will regret giving it up so soon, even if I don't necessarily LOVE it. The other thing is that I'm afraid quitting makes me weak. Thoughts?

Replies

• ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    "Quiting" is never a good thing! Making a "decision" to change the course that you were previously committed to can be a wise action. If you made a hasty decision to join the rowing team before you fully understood the level of committent required you may have just learned a valuable life lesson that can positively impact future decision. It is far more respecful to your team mates to bow out now than becomming an anchor to weigh them down. Only you can evaluate whether the rowing team will be beneficial or a hinderance to your life's goals. Some people let themselves fall into the trap of trying to do to much and avoid setting life goals so they will have an excuse for failing at achieving their dreams which lies outside of themselves rather than within. College is a wonderful time of personal growth that carries far more meaning than mearly what you earn a degree in. Trust yourself to be able to make good decisions for your life. Good luck and god bless!
  • BeyondApril
    BeyondApril Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't think quitting makes you weak. I think admitting you have bitten off more than you can chew (BEFORE unpleasant circumstances occur) is a sign of maturity. After all, you are in college to take courses, learn, get a degree - the rowing thing was a "for fun" part of it. Unless you are headed to the Olympics?

So I say stick with your academics, and find a less time consuming way to get a little burn going. I bet the school has a nice gym!

Good luck!
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    We have a fantastic rec center, two cardio rooms, two weight rooms, rock wall, basketball, volleyball, swimming pool, you name it. So that itself is not a problem. For some reason I just really have a hard time with the idea of quitting this, despite the fact that I never really look forward to it.
  • BeyondApril
    BeyondApril Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's all about what you are calling it. Try saying "I'm redirecting my energy toward something I will enjoy more."

And remember, if you are going to "redirect", do it soon, before the team starts competing and losing you would screw up the plan.

As a mom, I did not let my kids quit any sports once the games had begun, but now that they are adults, they can choose what they follow through on and what they choose not to continue.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    If you don't love rowing, and your main reason for being there was to get some exercise, just change to a different exercise. Maybe find a running group on campus, get involved in intramural sports, or just use your campus fitness center to get the exercise you want. Five hours a week is more than enough.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    It's not really quitting, you are just reallocating resources. You have a limited amount of time everyday if the activities are taking time away from you getting straight As (main reason you are in school) then you aren't quitting really and more refocusing on the main mission.
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Are you working as well? If not, why is 15 hours a week too much? Time management is very important. I don't know your courseload or what other things you are doing but evaluate closely and make your decision.
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Are you working as well? If not, why is 15 hours a week too much? Time management is very important. I don't know your courseload or what other things you are doing but evaluate closely and make your decision.

Right *now* is not necessarily the problem. No, I'm not working, but school does require around 50 hours a week, and next term it'll be closer to 60 hours. That and internships, research programs, clubs, etc. Yes, I have time now, but I'm looking at the rest of my year.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it quitting until you're on the team, they're counting on you, and you've got that commitment going. Until then, it's any of the other things other people here have called it, redirecting, reallocating, or (as I would phrase it) reprioritizing. As vtmoon said, you have a finite amount of time. You need to decide what your priorities are. Is being on the rowing team a priority? If you want to compete, then it may be. But if your priority is school and your future career, you need to decide if chopping 15 hours a week over to rowing is worth it. Most employers won't care a bit about if you were on the rowing team, but they probably will care about your academic performance.

I had to make a similar choice when I was in college. I had to alter one of my goals because I realized that that specific goal was not my actual priority. It was only related to it. I also had to realize that, if I continued to focus on that goal, my academics and, quite possibly, my sanity would suffer for it because it entailed a larger time committment than I'd originally anticipated. No, it wasn't an easy decision, and my stomach still gets a bit nervous thinking about what was going through my mind when I made it. But it turned out to be the right one for me.