Food Alternatives

Options
Does anyone know of a food alternative to Ramon Noodles?

My husband and daughter really like them, but at close to 400 calories for one package...I need to find them something similar but better.

Thanks,

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    regular noodles
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    Options
    I'd worry more about the sodium (salt) than the calories. It's been years since I had them, but is a package supposed to be two servings? Then it would be in line with any pasta serving, which is going to be between 150 and 200 calories.

When I was eating them, I would add frozen mixed vegetables and it was tasty, but it's more the huge amounts of salt. Then I could stretch the package to three meals.

They're just noodles with some boullion and salt...so sub any good whole grain pasta. You can also use half the seasoning pack to cut the salt.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    regular noodles
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    break them in half?
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    They make baked ones but they are not as good. The sodium in ramen is astronomical! I like angel hair with homemade broth or just butter & garlic. I don't know of any noodles with the curly texture of ramen. There is a big shirataki noodle contingent on mfp if you search the forums. Personally I don't like the texture but they may be worth trying.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    is this a meal for them, or a side?

i mean....400 cals aint bad for a meal...throw some chicken and veggies in there and call it dinner.

or just stop buying them. *shrug*
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Quinoa cooked in no salt added chicken, vegetable or beef broth...so good!!
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Shirataki noodles
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Make your own! Buy some noodles (preferably organic and wholegrain OR gluten free rice noodles, but any will do!) and cook them in a vegetable or chicken stock broth after frying some onion, garlic, ginger, chilli & spices in a little olive oil :) Much healthier than any packaged noodles and you can control the portion...have it with some protein and either some steamed veggies or a salad and you have a great meal! xx
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Try an Asian grocery store or the Asian aisle of your regular store and look for similar noodles. Try to find ones that are lower in sodium (I think even the noodles in Ramen are pretty high) and then make your own seasonings and sauces that are lower in sodium/calories/etc
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yes - Shirataki noodles. These are Japanese noodles, usually made from a yam. There's prep to make them (you need to "pan fry" them or else they have a weird texture).

Zero Calories!
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Alternative to Ramen Noodles... Not eating Ramen Noodles
  • mandimuscles
    mandimuscles Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Make your own! Buy some noodles (preferably organic and wholegrain OR gluten free rice noodles, but any will do!) and cook them in a vegetable or chicken stock broth after frying some onion, garlic, ginger, chilli & spices in a little olive oil :) Much healthier than any packaged noodles and you can control the portion...have it with some protein and either some steamed veggies or a salad and you have a great meal! xx

Great idea!
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice.

I have many friends in Japan, so I don't know why I didn't think of an Asian grocery.

I need to find one here (Just moved across country).

My 9 year old loves these as an after school snack, but I don't care for the level of sodium.

Thanks again.
  • sbermud
    sbermud Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yes - Shirataki noodles. These are Japanese noodles, usually made from a yam. There's prep to make them (you need to "pan fry" them or else they have a weird texture).

Zero Calories!

Made from yam but 0 calories???? WOW
  • youcandooeet
    youcandooeet Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Try couscous! It's easy to prepare and can adapt to various flavor profiles.
  • youcandooeet
    youcandooeet Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Zero Calories!

I just googled it, and apparently they are zero calories because of their high fiber content. It also says that if you get tofu shirataki noodles, they will not be zero calories because of said tofu added, but shoudl be pretty low calorie.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Zero Calories!

I just googled it, and apparently they are zero calories because of their high fiber content. It also says that if you get tofu shirataki noodles, they will not be zero calories because of said tofu added, but shoudl be pretty low calorie.

That still makes no sense, so I had to look it up too:

"Because konjac shirataki noodles are 97 percent water, they are very low in calories, with as few as 20 calories per serving."
    Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/72852-shirataki-noodles-nutrition/#ixzz28vDXud3s

So you can say "super-low cal," but not zero. It does have some calories in it.

It is net zero carbs, if you are a low-carb dieter.

ETA: And mostly water? Really? That can only *barely* be called food if it's 97% water.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I like to eat Ramen Noodles without the flavoring pack, or if I really want the extra flavor I drain all the water off so that the sodium level is lower as I'm not drinking the juice. And now I really want some ramen...:grumble:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I did find out that you can substitute ricotta cheese for either feta cheese or cottage cheese. I think that was today's good piece of information regarding food alternatives.