Nervous to join group fitness classes

Options
There this Body Pump class at my YMCA tonight that I'm SUPER interested in.. I'm also SUPER interested in the Body Flow class... but I'm scared!!!

I'm really really shy... if anyone at the gym even looks at me it makes me nervous... lol. I REALLY want to try these classes out but I'm scared I'll look stupid.. or something like that...

Any words of encouragement???

Replies

• ToTheLove
    ToTheLove Posts: 357
    Options
    There this Body Pump class at my YMCA tonight that I'm SUPER interested in.. I'm also SUPER interested in the Body Flow class... but I'm scared!!!

I'm really really shy... if anyone at the gym even looks at me it makes me nervous... lol. I REALLY want to try these classes out but I'm scared I'll look stupid.. or something like that...

• auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    It's something that will make you feel better, and I am sure everyone there had to have their first day at it like you. Your not going to look stupid........just walk in like your on a mission and go for it:happy:
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    You should do it for sure!!! Not only for the benefits of getting fit, but for self confidence as well. Imagine if you were to do it and how proud you would be of yourself. I think we all judge ourselves way worse than other people. Trust me, there will be people in there thinking and feeling the same as you are. Besides everyone will be focusing on themselves. You CAN and SHOULD do it. I am SUPER excited for you and let me know how it turns out. HH:flowerforyou:

P.S. I am really shy too, but I am starting to just not care what people think and just have confidence in me.
  • SheIsVirgo
    Options

My dear friend,

Walk in like you own the world. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. You're doing this for yourself and so walk with confidence and keep it up.....you will be great!:heart:
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Amen! I used to be the same way... Not so much anymore and I know the classes and instructors had a lot to do with it. If you have a good instructor, he/she should make you feel right at home. If you want, you can even go introduce yourself to the instructor so they know you're new.

You should totally go and try it! Classes are so motivating!

Angela :flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

Heh, my wife teaches body pump, and I take it. I NEVER go to the regular gym just to work out (I use my gym at work which is pretty sparse and unpopulated), but my wife finally got me to go about 3 months ago, I have been going ever since. The body pump instructors are trained to specifically work with new people and explain to them how the exercises should work, and trust me, everyone will be too busy grunting and sweating to look at someone else. Go for it, it's a GREAT workout, and a lot of fun too (I still wish they put more rock songs and less techno in the set though):tongue:
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Everybody is new at some point.......most people are more concerned with the way they look at the gym to worry about how you look. Go do something good for yourself! You may find your new favorite exercise!:flowerforyou:
  • Cherylann402
    Options
    I have a friend who belongs to a gym. She goes to all those classes, body pump, aerobics, you name it... I said something to her one time that I would be too self conscious to do that (kind of like what you said). She said that everyone is too busy working out to pay any attention to other people. So go and enjoy yourself!
  • jill5677
    jill5677 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I went to a class at the Y once, and I was like you, a little nervous. There will likely be lots of "regulars" that know what to do, so just copy them!

You'll be glad you went, as it will likely kick your butt! :happy:
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I used to go to classes at the Y and I loved them! If it's new, no one will know what they are doing. Go for it! I agree that everyone else will be too busy worrying about themselves.
  • ToTheLove
    ToTheLove Posts: 357
    Options
    Thanks guys!!! You're right! I'm gonna go to Body Flow... TONIGHT!! Wish me luck!!!!
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    let us know how the class ended up...I miss classes at the gym. It's just not the same doing them here with video barbie....
  • kimd983
    kimd983 Posts: 39
    Options
    I was always nervous before trying a new class. It took me almost a year to try yoga.

I tried zumba, loved it.....
    (stand in the back!! they won't see you LOL)

and there was ONE intimidating class called "y pump" and it took me 9 months to try that one. I was welcomed with open arms and I get there early to set up so i am not interupting anything.

remember, and I tell myself this every time i am nervous (which is a lot i have anxiety by nature), that we ALL are newbies at one point . we aren't born doing these classes.

just do it. YOU deserve it. xo