This is not workin....

Options
I have been at this for a while... counting calories, working out, blah, blah... I have not lost a pound.. infact, I have put on two in the past week. I don't cheat, and even on my "days off" my husband and I have been doing something active. I am typically very lazy so the past month or so of steady exercise and dieting should be showing right?? The only thing I can think of that I might be doing wrong is I don't eat the calories I earn from working out... could this be hindering my weightloss? My theory was bigger deficit, faster weightloss but that theory is not working out... any suggestions???

Thanks,

Alishia

Replies

• FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    i would suggest trying to eat back at least some of your calories, to see if that makes any difference. Creating too large a deficit can stall your weight loss. But we won't know if it's something in your diet if we can't see your food diary, so you might want to open it up to see if anyone on here can help.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have been at this for a while... counting calories, working out, blah, blah... I have not lost a pound.. infact, I have put on two in the past week. I don't cheat, and even on my "days off" my husband and I have been doing something active. I am typically very lazy so the past month or so of steady exercise and dieting should be showing right?? The only thing I can think of that I might be doing wrong is I don't eat the calories I earn from working out... could this be hindering my weightloss? My theory was bigger deficit, faster weightloss but that theory is not working out... any suggestions???

Thanks,

Alishia
    Unfortunately, your theory does not account for hormones. Cortisol is a hormone that can protect body fat in cases of not receiving enough fuel. What is your work out routine? Also, what is your height, weight and job/lifestyle? We can run some numbers. But if you are like most women I know, it will be around 1700-2000 total calories if you are active.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

Thanks,

Alishia

How many calories a day are you netting? Severe calorie deficit does not necessarily mean faster weight loss, it can actually cause plateau's by slowing your metabolism down. If you open up your diary you'll get more helpful feedback :flowerforyou:
  • Miss_Alishia
    Options
    I am 5'2 - med build - 166 lbs

I have a desk job but walk 3 times a day for 15 minutes at work and have been working out with the elliptical for 30 minutes at home. I eat 1200 cals a day.

Side note... I did stop using the Depo shot for birth control about a month ago...
  • Grognit
    Grognit Posts: 50
    Options
    I am 5'3 - started out 2 1/2 weeks ago at 157.6 lbs. The first week I ate at 1200 calories and was starving to death so I looked around here found that roadmap post and calculated my bmr and tdee. I have now upped my calories to 1450, don't eat back my exercise calories (as I have made a deficit from my tdee) and have lost more weight than I actually selected here (I selected 1 lb a week here) and weighed myself Monday and was shocked to see 150.2

I was POSITIVE that eating anymore than 1200 would have me packing on the pounds but proof is...not so.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I have a desk job but walk 3 times a day for 15 minutes at work and have been working out with the elliptical for 30 minutes at home. I eat 1200 cals a day.

Side note... I did stop using the Depo shot for birth control about a month ago...

Based on that, I would suggest bumping your calories to 1600 calories total. You aren't far from a normal weight so you can't have an aggressive calorie deficit. If you eat 1600 total and not eat back exercise calories (already in TDEE) and set your macro's to 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats, you should see better results. Also, if you can add resistance training or weight training, it will help fat loss.
  • Miss_Alishia
    Options
    I am 5'3 - started out 2 1/2 weeks ago at 157.6 lbs. The first week I ate at 1200 calories and was starving to death so I looked around here found that roadmap post and calculated my bmr and tdee. I have now upped my calories to 1450, don't eat back my exercise calories (as I have made a deficit from my tdee) and have lost more weight than I actually selected here (I selected 1 lb a week here) and weighed myself Monday and was shocked to see 150.2

I was POSITIVE that eating anymore than 1200 would have me packing on the pounds but proof is...not so.

Congratulations!!! that's awesome! I am not starving... I am just, well, the same.... Maybe I will have a snack now and see what happens ;)
  • jllove871
    jllove871 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Depends on work outs! If you are lifting weights you will gain a few pounds, but your body will look better for it! Try to evaluate your exercise and see if you could be building muscle mass! That would actually be good, in the long run!
  • kelsgosse
    kelsgosse Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How much salt/sodium are you eating? You could be retaining water
  • gpteran
    gpteran Posts: 37
    Options
    I have know idea what you weigh, what you want to weigh... and by when you want to reach these goals. I can be "REAL" Boot Camp on you if you're really serious on getting results. I only work with those that are ready to make a commitment. If that really is you than PM me as soon as possible!

Best!
    Patrick
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Depends on work outs! If you are lifting weights you will gain a few pounds, but your body will look better for it! Try to evaluate your exercise and see if you could be building muscle mass! That would actually be good, in the long run!

It is very difficult to build new lean body mass on a calorie deficit. It's really only seen in a few situations; obese people, minimal noob gains and in some elite athletes. The increase in weight isn't muscle, but rather glycogen/water increases in order to repair your muscles.
  • brendacs21
    brendacs21 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

Based on that, I would suggest bumping your calories to 1600 calories total. You aren't far from a normal weight so you can't have an aggressive calorie deficit. If you eat 1600 total and not eat back exercise calories (already in TDEE) and set your macro's to 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats, you should see better results. Also, if you can add resistance training or weight training, it will help fat loss.

I agree. i started at 1200 calories as well and at 166-167 i am also 5'2. I didnt lose either, i got upset and quit. i have restarted and i lost 4 lbs right off the bat by doing the 1600 cal
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

You're certainly not eating enough. Calculate your calorie needs using MFP. Set your goal to 1 pound per week, eat back exercise calories, and then report back.
  • jllove871
    jllove871 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

It is very difficult to build new lean body mass on a calorie deficit. It's really only seen in a few situations; obese people, minimal noob gains and in some elite athletes. The increase in weight isn't muscle, but rather glycogen/water increases in order to repair your muscles.

I never thought of that, never even knew that! Good information to know. How long can this last and should you do anything different in the beginning?
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

Thanks,

Alishia

You are probably not being honest with how much you are consuming.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Open your diary
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Thanks,

Alishia
    Need more info.

Define "a while." Open your diary so we can see what you're doing.

And are you on any kind of birth control?
  • Miss_Alishia
    Options

You're certainly not eating enough. Calculate your calorie needs using MFP. Set your goal to 1 pound per week, eat back exercise calories, and then report back.

increased cals to 1500 today... I will let you know what happens.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Ignore my last post. It's probably the Depo. Give it some time to get out of your system. You shouldn't be gaining on that diet (IF you're being honest with your trakcing -- do you weigh and measure food?).
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I bet you're not calculating your servings correctly. And how hard are you pushing yourself on the elliptical? Are you really getting a workout or are you just moving? Last month of hitting it hard 3-4 days a week I lost an inch on each thigh.