Question for the RUNNERS out there

Options
2»

Replies

• BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I love to mix it up! For the most part I just listen to my body. Some days I just go for a walk, others it's a walk/run combo, and then there are days where I'll just run the entire time. I intentionally do NOT run two straight runs in two consecutive days. Listening to my body and mixing things up gives me an exercise program that I enjoy and one that is less likely to lead to injuries.
  • Parthiv0304
    Options
    what I do is keep changing it every minute or two! like from 4mph the 7mph and the sometimes I stay on faster speed for extended period of time!
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    using a run/walk technique is a legitimate way to exercise as is only running, or only walking.
    Jeff Galloway is renowned for his run/walk technique and has a bunch of info on his web site. His method is highly-touted as being nearly injury proof esp for endurance running.
    do whatever *you* like doing.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Just stared interval running, it rocks!!!!!

Your pic made me almost vomit.... Gross!!!!!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I like the run/walk it seems to help so I don't get as tired. It's helps me run the Goofy Challenge (half and full marathon in one weekend)
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My likely unpopular opinion (as a runner who is generally interested in running as fast as possible on race day):

walk breaks are a great way to get started, but runners should strive to graduate from them over time
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    walk breaks are a great way to get started, but runners should strive to graduate from them over time

agreed.

I don't care what galloway says, run/walk isn't the way to get fast.

Training wheels - they need to come off.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. Nothing wrong with run/walk. If you're out for fitness or want to increase the amount of time you spend exercising it's a great strategy. It will allow you to go longer than running alone. So it can be a really good option for the first few 10ks, 1/2M, and marathons. I walked in my two 50 mile races for exactly that reason.

If your goal is to race as fast as possible particularly for marathon and shorter, my opinion is run/walk won't get you there (despite what Galloway says). A runner who is well trained and fully understands where the edge is for them and can execute a race plan around that will always run faster than they run/walk. That was a big caveat though, wasn't it? Some people do find they set race PRs with run/walk, but that is usually because they don't have enough training or race experience to understand how to run it well. Heck, that's a never ending learning game in reality. Those same people would beat their PRs if they better knew how they responded to racing well.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I think Galloway has proven that there really isn't any shame in mixing it up. Some may think of it as "training wheels" but even training wheels have a place, and not everybody has to remove them some time. To continue the bicycle analogy - they make recreational tricycles for adults that are pretty darn awesome and swank - they're totally fun to ride as well. Much better than not riding at all.

That being said - if you do go from running to walking intentionally as a training plan, and you do it during a race, practice some situational awareness - don't start in the front of the line at the starting line, don't abruptly stop in the middle of the road, and don't insist on walking in the middle of the road, move to one side (really important if there are runners around you or if you're doing it with friends). Give a glance behind you when you slow down to make sure you're not going to get knocked over and you're not going to trip anybody.

Do what you need to do to get where you're going, but make sure it doesn't impede others' progress as well.

No matter what you do - keep at it!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I am not allowed to run in the house only walk. So when I go outside I automatically run and run and run.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I typically allow myself a 1-2 minute walk in the middle of my runs. It lets me catch my breath and tends to give me a second win to finish my run most times.
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    3 weeks off is no big deal. Walk to warm up the legs and then run. If you can't go your 3 miles then walk if you need to so you can finish. If you can then go the whole 3 miles. It will all depend on how YOU feel so you don't injure yourself. RUN HAPPY !
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I think Galloway has proven that there really isn't any shame in mixing it up. No matter what you do - keep at it!

The only thing Galloway has proven is that he really likes money. That is what the central theme of his sales model is. Sorry, but he didn't get to his competitive fitness by doing his program. He ran.

He was speaking before a race I did this winter and said something to the effect that if you don't walk/run you'll be too tired by mile 8 (this was a half) to continue. No, if you are properly trained, mile 8 is when you really start racing. Running is adaptation plain and simple. Your body needs to adapt and do to that you train and challenge it.

Run/walk It is a great way to start but you deserve to progress.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    For those who don't know, Jeff Galloway was an elite marathoner back in the day. No way in hell was he walking a step in his races (unless he was injured or DNFing).

Indeed he has reinvented himself into a profit machine by bringing running to the masses.

If you are properly trained ,you can run every step of the way of your road race (marathon, half, 10K, etc.).

I do understand that trail races are a different deal.
  • leenabeana1
    Options
    I was running 3 miles 5x a week, and walking 15 min. 3.5mph warming up and 15-30 walking afterwards, then 10 min cool down. I am losing weight but by the 3rd day my body is so sore, but I guess its a good thing!