Which piece of equipment do you prefer

Options

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    With free weights there's no real "one"-piece, it would have to be at least a simple set of something.

EliteEFS Power Rack, incline / decline bench, olympic barbell with elieko bumper plates.

I am in agreement.
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Well I think the elliptical is fun, and holy hell it's toned my legs, so I'd choose that.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Only one piece of equipment? Rowing machine, full body workout & great cardio.

I have to agree with this. I actually have a complete home gym that includes 6 different machines, a 9 station home gym, balls, heavy bag, weights, kettlebells, etc. My Rower is, by far, my favorite and most intense, workout. I feel it all over, like no other I have. My recumbent is my next favorite.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I'm so in love with my treadmill, I can't even suggest anything else....but I know that's not what you are looking for, so I'd go with weights.
    actually my first thoughts were either a treadmil or eliptical..but I am not sue either can offer full body work out.
  • ErB56
    ErB56 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If you are pressed for space and have a decent budget, the bowflex is great. It is mostly individual cables, so you get some of the stabilizing muscles into play when doing most of the large muscle group exercises. The versatility is almost limitless. It comes with a book of probably 60 different movements and you can tweak those if you want to target a specific muscle or group. For instance, if you want to do incline or decline bench presses, just move the seat higher or lower and change the position of your hands at the full extension. The only 'downside' is that I think it is much better for upper body exercises than lower. It has all the attachments to do dead lifts/squats/etc. but some of the isolation exercises such as hamstring curls are not very ergonomic in my opinion.
  • momof8munchkins
    Options
    A gym.
    that is not a option for me at this time.. if it was I would not be looking to purchase equipment of my own.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Olympic barbell and plates.

Then a power rack.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    With free weights there's no real "one"-piece, it would have to be at least a simple set of something.

EliteEFS Power Rack, incline / decline bench, olympic barbell with elieko bumper plates.

I am in agreement.

Right? I mean what can't you do with that setup?
  • MayFartDuringSquats
    Options
    A gym.
    that is not a option for me at this time.. if it was I would not be looking to purchase equipment of my own.

What sort of space and budget are we talking here ?
    And what are your goals ?

The power racks, barbell and plates are great but take up a lot of space (and will pizz your neighbors off too, so you''l need a platform as well). It will cost $$$$ Elieko is friggen expensive too and probably a complete waste of money for someone on a budget who is not competitive and does not need to have zero bounce with 0.000001gm tolerance (if you don't know what I'm talking about, then you don't need it).. Go with hi-temp and if no snatches, cleans or jerks are going to be done, then go with steel. (juts put your deadlifts back down - don't drop).
    Same as the bowflex etc - no idea how good it is but I suspect it is expensive.

For less than $100 you could go kettlebells (get two so you can do both one arm and two arm stuff). It depends on how much weight you want to use.

Simply getting an "olympic bench" will be worthless too because I don't ever recall there being a bench used in the Olympics, so I don't know what that is, but without any other useful pieces of equipment to go with it, a bench is simply a chair or a step.

You can find all sorts of cheap stuff on craigslist.
    But even cheaper is going for a run and stopping at a playground. There you can do dips, swings, pullups, situps, pushups (decline incline) all that stuff for free ... and if you run too, you'll bump your heartrate up. A jump ropre is also cheap and very useful.

It really depends on your goal. Strength or conditioning or both?
  • momof8munchkins
    Options
    A gym.

The power racks, barbell and plates are great but take up a lot of space (and will pizz your neighbors off too, so you''l need a platform as well). It will cost $$$$ Elieko is friggen expensive too and probably a complete waste of money for someone on a budget who is not competitive and does not need to have zero bounce with 0.000001gm tolerance (if you don't know what I'm talking about, then you don't need it).. Go with hi-temp and if no snatches, cleans or jerks are going to be done, then go with steel. (juts put your deadlifts back down - don't drop).

For less than $100 you could go kettlebells (get two so you can do both one arm and two arm stuff). It depends on how much weight you want to use.

Simply getting an "olympic bench" will be worthless too because I don't ever recall there being a bench used in the Olympics, so I don't know what that is, but without any other useful pieces of equipment to go with it, a bench is simply a chair or a step.

But even cheaper is going for a run and stopping at a playground. There you can do dips, swings, pullups, situps, pushups (decline incline) all that stuff for free ... and if you run too, you'll bump your heartrate up. A jump ropre is also cheap and very useful.

lol I agree a lot of what you mentioned are of no use to me.. I have little space. enough for about the size of a treadmil .and about $300 to spend. I want something I can do year round..in my house if the weather is bad. I am looking to tone and shed weight.. that is really all.. nothing competitive.
  • agentphantom
    Options
    Freemotion Incline Trainer. The 30% is beast!!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m5wvg5X1OV1r7lxg0o1_500.jpg
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

I am in agreement.

Ditto!
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

Jelly of her gams!!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

Isn't it bad to arch your back like that?

*shot*
  • NicoleR1980
    NicoleR1980 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    an elliptical for sure:smile:
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    If I had to have only one piece of equipment it would have to be my own body. You can do all exercises that exist with it.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    If I had to have only one piece of equipment it would have to be my own body. You can do all exercises that exist with it.

tries to do a pull up without a bar and dies
  • MayFartDuringSquats
    Options
    A gym.

lol I agree a lot of what you mentioned are of no use to me.. I have little space. enough for about the size of a treadmil .and about $300 to send. I want something I can do year round..in my house if the weather is bad. I am looking to tone and shed weight.. that is really all.. nothing competitive.

Perhaps not one piece of equipment, but a small collection ?

Some ideas for equipment.
    - some sort of weight, be it kettle bell or dumbell (They are interchangeable, but it is easier to swing etc a KB than a DB, so I'd do KB).
    - some sort of step (to jump on, step on and even dip on)
    - some sort of resistance bands (these are good for all sorts of things, stretching or even resistance training)
    - Swiss/Bosu ball (plenty of different stuff to be done here)
    - Pull-up bar (If you can do a pull-up, you're getting strong, it's pretty raw to be able to pull-up as opposed to moving something on a pull-down. Loosing lbs help here too. The resistance bands can be used to "learn" pull-up)

There's literally 1000's of bodyweight exercises to do in that space that will condition you (tone and burn)- just "superset" them where you do 10-10-10-10-10-10 back to back. Like 10 squats, 10 burpees, 10 step ups, 10 situps, 10 push-ups. Don't rest in between each exercise and ramp up your intensity. Then perform a few rounds of this (you can rest between rounds, but make sure it's specific like only a minute so you don't stand around for 10 minutes). To keep it interesting, mix the exercises, reps and rounds up. Don't fall into the trap of doing favorites either - if you don't like push-ups coz they're hard ... that's exactly what you should be doing. Do 20 of 1, then 10 of another, then 30 of something else - it doesn't have to be uniform.
    You can then add some weight to these exercises, like two DB/KB and do a squat with the weight held up your shoulders, stand it up, then press. Rinse and repeat.

If you want to get really creative, then you can make some sand bags too. There's a plenty of tutorials out there on doing this. It's such an awkward weight to move around that it's extremely beneficial for you. e.g. Try doing Russian Twists with a 20# moving sand bag vs the same thing with a 20# medball.

For the "treadmill area" go and buy one of the "equipment mats" that would ordinarily go under the treadmill, and lay that down on the floor. It's large and doesn't move so you workout on that, rather than your floor.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    A gym.

I believe the original topic was centered around your preference or "if", not necessarily reality. Not a single thing in your last topic helps me with my goals, so yes goals are important. "If" I had the room for the home gym I wanted and the money to invest in one that's what I would buy. Don't be a douche'.