hand callus question

Options
not fluid filled like a blister, rather the hard ones from hard work. do you leave them alone and let them wear away as you work, or use something like a stone to minimize them? the callus is a good thing as it prevents the blister. will caring for them be like starting with soft hands? just looking for anybody's thoughts on the subject and what you each do.

Replies

• strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I have 5 little ones on my hands just now and decided to cut the skin off with nail clippers and file it down lol Not the ideal for everyone
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have calluses on my hands from my rowing machine and calluses on my fingertips from playing stringed instruments.

No calluses = unnecessary pain; your body develops them for a reason, I'd leave them alone.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Love the callus! Treasure the callus! The callus is your friend!

Ok, if they get ragged I sometimes smooth them out a little with a pumice, because that's better than them tearing off, but mostly I try to leave them alone.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    They're there for a reason. If you cut them off they're just gonna grow back. I sometimes file them a little if they start peeling or cracking but that's it.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I get a pretty bad callus on my thumb from my elliptical machine, and it's not attractive. Not a good idea to cut a callus, so I use a product to soften it instead. If you can find it, try Gehwol Salve for Cracked Skin. It works wonders! :)
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I know I want to keep them, they are beneficial for sure. I guess to be more specific my question was more a matter of do people "groom" them? Do you find a point of no return where you could say at 3mm thick they crack and I file to maintain that thickness without eliminating them.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Just leave them, if you cut them off too much, you will just end up with bloody hands. I file mine down a little bit with a foot file, but never git rid of them totally. Any gymnast will tell you that's like the kiss of death. If you remove them, they will tear open much easier. I think you've got the right idea though, just "maintain" and "groom" but do it in small batches. Groom too much and they will hurt.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I file mine down a little bit with a foot file, but never git rid of them totally. Any gymnast will tell you that's like the kiss of death. If you remove them, they will tear open much easier.

Fact! Former gymnast here... I was going to say the same... plus I think calluses are sexy. They mean you worked hard for something. Maybe file them a bit so they don't crack, but rock them calluses!
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    try wearing gloves they may just go away
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    try wearing gloves they may just go away
    ohyou.jpg
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    I have them from doing pullups all the time. I love to pick at them. That's my grooming
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Nice beast badge! I did the first one in 2011, what an event huh?!!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I have them too from pull ups and rope climbs - I regard them as a badge of honour.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't have any right now... I just started back up at lifting weights so I reckon they'll come back after another time or two at the gym. I don't mind them. I do find myself picking at them though which I probably shouldn't.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I use a pumice stone on them in the shower
  • plarcade
    plarcade Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Rub down with a nail file :)
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I have pretty considerably hard callouses on my hands from doing pole work, but I like them. They keep my hands from hurting or tearing from pole friction. So, I just let 'em be! :-D