daily sugar intake

Options
parvati
parvati Posts: 432 Member
Hello, i am fairly new on here....less than 2 weeks. Have a questions for everyone about daily sugar intake.
I am eating mostly clean, trying for high fibre and protein and when eating carbs trying to eat mostly complex carbs, not simple.... but i find that every single day i am doubling what my fitness pal suggests for sugar intake..... is this happening to any one else or any i infact eating way too much sugar. When i look at my food diary what i am eating seems reasonable....pleae help!!!
Rachel

Replies

• CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Basically, you need to ignore the sugar in fruits and stuff like that. Here's a link to something I post a while back. It explains more.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/74098-tracking-sugar?hl=tracking+sugar#posts-1007413
  • tasha30
    tasha30 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Yes I have the same issue. I used to have Sugar as a viewable option on my Food Diary but took it off as I was ALWAYS in the negative.

I really dont know what to do about it. I stay under my calories and am losing weight. So I ignore it.. :frown:
  • lisa811
    lisa811 Posts: 363
    Options
    I have the same question. I don't have any sugar-related health issues, so usually I take a look at what I've eaten. If all of my sugar is non-added sugar, such as fruit, I don't worry about it too much. I'm good at looking at labels, and I stay away from HFCS, and anything that lists "sugar" as one of the first ingredients. Am I wrong in thinking "natural" (non-added) sugar is okay?
  • lisa811
    lisa811 Posts: 363
    Options
    Posted this before I saw yours, Crystal. I'll take a look at your link, thanks!

Edit: Okay, I read your other post. Whew! Sounds like I'm okay with what I'm doing. Try to stay away from sweets, read labels, stay away from foods that ADD sugar (sugar, sucrose, high-fructose corn syrup, etc.)

I would imagine anyone with diabetes, or close to it, may have to watch natural sugar too. Luckily, I'm not in that category, and I plan on staying away from it.

Thanks, Crystal.
  • klouie
    klouie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Fruit is loaded with sugar. Blueberries are low while bananas are very high. You need to figure out how many sugar's are in fruit before you eat them. Also milk is very high in sugar Unsweetened Almond Breeze is a good milk substitute. Tomato products (ketchup, pasta sauce, b-b-q sauce etc.) can also pack a lot of sugar.
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Parvati, I have the same problem but, like Tasha said, I am eating right & am under my calories (I'm not supporting being under your daily calories) & have been losing weight. I keep it in my view but, I don't let it get to me if it's in the negative.

Thank you so much for posting that link Crystal, I 'm glad I wasn't doing something wrong!! :flowerforyou:

Good Luck!
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Posted this before I saw yours, Crystal. I'll take a look at your link, thanks!

Edit: Okay, I read your other post. Whew! Sounds like I'm okay with what I'm doing. Try to stay away from sweets, read labels, stay away from foods that ADD sugar (sugar, sucrose, high-fructose corn syrup, etc.)

I would imagine anyone with diabetes, or close to it, may have to watch natural sugar too. Luckily, I'm not in that category, and I plan on staying away from it.

Thanks, Crystal.

Yes, my dad is diabetic and he has to track his carbs along with sugar. Any carbs, simple or complex, eventually break down into sugar. Too many carbs and his blood sugar spikes.

And you're welcome everyone!!! :flowerforyou:
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    OK, that is a relief! I dont think i could enjoy oatmeal without splenda brown sugar & without the fruit i would have a
    sugar (or lack of) headache for sure!!!
    Thanks Crystal, you were a big help!