Plateau-- Food for thought

Options
I have read so many posts about folks hitting plateaus. Myself, I guess I could say I have hit a plateau because I have gained and lost, gained and lost, and gained and lost the same 5 lbs since my 90day mark on MFP.

I journal a lot in the food diary section and have noticed a trend that correlates to my 'plateau'. In my journal I demand that I be brutally honest with myself- this has proven to be very difficult. (If you aren't journaling and struggle with obsessive eating or binging I would suggest you start. It has forced me to recognize what I am doing, feeling, and denying). When I first started I would try to justify why I didn't log a certain food or the amount of that food. But then, I become fed up with myself- If I can't be honest with me who can I be honest with?? Seriously!!!!

Anyway, I guess what I am trying to say is, if you have hit a plateau- look back and see if you have been honest with yourself. Chances are you are eating more than you are saying or exercising less than you are logging.

This all became very clear to me when I was reading my diary - feeling sorry for myself that I hit a plateau. Guess what?? Every time I gained the weight back it was there, in black and white!!! I SLID BACKWARD AND WAS EATING WAY TOO MUCH!! Of course I would gain weigh back, its simple mathematics. I have found that my relationship w/ food is my worst enemy. With the help of MFPs and the book the BECK's Diet I am working through this 'plateau' AGAIN!!. Now that I have accepted and recognize my behaviors contributing to the plateau, I believe I will break through this time.

I write not as an attack on myself or anyone else- more so, just food for thought.

Replies