gaining weight with the recommeded calories?????????????????

Options
It seems according to my "meals" the more i come closer to my calorie goal the more weight i will gain because it is telling me I will go into starvation mode. so then i add a few calories and it still says i will gain!! also i seem to be going over on my protein now :( can anyone help with a few suggestions on snacks other than fruit or yogurt? also is anyone else having this problem?

Replies

• sheri3762
    sheri3762 Posts: 159
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing! Seems like I'm always under my calorie count, so it tells me I'll go into starvation mode, then when I try to get closer, I go over in my protien. I really do think the protien allowed is not enough anyway, especially if you woing a lot of excercising and with any type of weight resistence workouts, I've always been told you need more protein. So, hopefully, we shouldn't have to worry about the protein that much. I've basically disregarded these messages, to a point. If I can get to 1100 cal a day, I'm happy with it. I'm still losing steadily, so unless that stops, I'm gonna continue this way.

Snacks. I've been keeping cubed cheese, spec K choc drizzle bars (90 cal), fruit, pretzels, dark chocolate, raw veggies and bananas on hand. I've been tossing a couple snack bars and a bag of pretzels in my purse for snacks when I'm not at home. Their the easiest for me to carry around. Did you know that their is only 150 calories in 9 pieces of hersheys kisses dark chocolate! I was so excited! Most of us girls have to have that choc fix sometimes, I've found this is a great way to do it and I never ever eat 9 of them at a time!!! They're too rich. Hope this helps you!
  • carolstrange0
    Options
    What are you eating... if its McDonalds and fries... then yeah you will gain weight.. You have to look at what your eating
    VEGGIES and PROTINE are your best friend.. I heard: If you go over your protine for the day its okay.. you just pee it out anyway (i think)

But look at what other people eat and see if your making the correct choices.

-carol
  • annette02
    Options
    I am confused, are you actually gaining the weight, or are you going off of the "if I were to eat like this everyday" button at the bottom of your food journal?? If you are going off of what it tells you, I have to say you can't always follow it - its just an estimate.

Another thing, from my experience, eat your calories, I was eating between 1200-1300 following this website, and didn't lose anything in the last year. Now that I have uped my calories to 1400-1600 a day, with lots of protien! (1 gram for every pound of body weight,
    ex. 140 lbs=140 grams of protien) I have lost 4.5 pounds since Jan 4th. And can't beleive it. So, yes I reccommend eating more protien. Don't worry if it says you have gone over on your protien. (just make sure its lean protien you are eating)

For snacks, I would suggest: veggies w/ some lean deli turkey, apple and peanut butter, reduced fat cheese and deli ham, boiled egg whites on light wheat toast. yogurt is a good snack, but most have a lot of sugar. I usually have them when I am craving something sweet. Also, low fat fudge bars are a great snack when you are craving something sweet. (only 40 cals and no fat per bar, nummy!)

Hope this helps you a bit. -- have a good day! :)
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    MFP set your protein goal to a certain % of total calories. However, to me, you should still eat a certain quantity of protein every day even when restricting your calories. Just because someone is counting calories doesn't mean that she suddenly needs less protein.

If you eat too much protein, yes, you will "reject" what's over through your kidneys, wich can put great stress on them and is not a good thing. However, you'd need to eat A LOT of protein for that to happen !

Here a nice calculator that will help you figure out how much you could aim for:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2084077_compute-protein-needs-using-lean.html
  • debclauson
    debclauson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am with you. Lately, I have been under in my calories and the protein is over sometimes way over. My trainer who told me about this website said not to worry about the protein going over as it will not get stored as fat. Try to excercise each day even if it is a walk. The days that I loose weight are the one's that I am having a protein shake made with skim milk, frozen fruit and whey protein powder. I also like the progresso light soups, 80 calories, very filling. Handful of dry roasted almonds, Dannon light yogurt is also 80 cals. Keep plugging.
  • CindyWard4u
    CindyWard4u Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    A lot of this really has to do with how many calories you are burning each day...if you have a way to monitor your calorie burn during workouts then that is a great way to tell you what calories you should take in. In my experience the balance of 40/40/20 works well but tweaking is always an option especially if you begin to plateau. Most plateaus involved your workout routine so you have to keep mixing things up. :)
    Feel free to check out my intake at www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/momthirty2
    I have some snacks that some people know about and others don't. :) I am 5'8" tall and I currently weigh around 155 with 19% bodyfat....my calories fluctuate between 1700-2000 and I can lose weight on that depending on my workout schedule.
    Personally I think anything less than 1400 calories for most active women is too little. At my highest weight of 207 I was eating 1500 and walking 10k steps per day on avg and I lost 30 lbs in 3 months! :) So be careful and give your body what it needs to fire up your metabolism. :)