Did you research GMOS when changing your diet?

Options
13»

Replies

• gazelleintraining
    Options
    I'm just beginning to sift through a lot of the information out there on GM crops. I came across this new documentary "Genetic Roulette"that is available to stream for free through 10/17/12: http://youtu.be/wnlTYFKBg18. The beginning is a little soft, but stick around and watch the whole thing. It brings up a lot of questions.

Here's another good piece, an editorial/op-ed by writer Michael Pollan that appeared in New York Times Magazine yesterday: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/14/magazine/why-californias-proposition-37-should-matter-to-anyone-who-cares-about-food.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Finally, here's a food brand list for those interested in avoiding them at the store: http://truefoodnow.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/cfs-shoppers-guide.pdf

I'm in California, and I sure hope that Prop 37 passes, which requires labeling of most GMO products. Consumers have a right to know what they're ingesting, especially if it has a serious link leading to infertility in both women and men--and their kids' fertility.

As far as the GM impact on dieting I think that it might be possible that GM grains could cause sugar cravings because they are spliced with antibiotic strains, which in the human gut could cause or exacerbate candida overgrowth. Just a thought.

[Edit: Just saw the link for the same film above--it's making the rounds :)]
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

Finally, here's a food brand list for those interested in avoiding them at the store: http://truefoodnow.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/cfs-shoppers-guide.pdf

I'm in California, and I sure hope that Prop 37 passes, which requires labeling of most GMO products. Consumers have a right to know what they're ingesting, especially if it has a serious link leading to infertility in both women and men--and their kids' fertility.

Thank you for that list. That is super helpful.
  • dwtouch4
    Options
    Genetic modification is not limited to the idea of merely increasing yield by increasing the amount of crops in a space. Genetic modification can also be used to increase the amount of arable land that can be used for crop growing by including genes that allow plants to grow in more hospitable environments. Also introduction of gene to reduce insect infestation can also increase the amount of food lost. Genetic modification can also be used to reduce spoilage in increase the shelf life of foods. All of these things can be done to increase the food supply.

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2012/08/23/Wild-rice-gene-can-increase-crop-yields/UPI-60521345759071/
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cif-green/2010/apr/21/gm-crops-benefit-farmers
    http://www8.nationalacademies.org/onpinews/newsitem.aspx?RecordID=12804
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've done research and reading on GMOs. Honestly, I don't think they're nearly as dangerous or bad for you as most people would have you think. The issue I take with them is how companies like Monsanto gain monopoly on their seeds. The way they treat farmers just disgusts me. I do try to avoid GMOs sometimes for this reason, and I do most of my shopping at Trader Joe's which is free of GMOs. But it's not something I actively try to avoid, but I do believe it should all be labeled and such.

^^ THIS

Completely agree. Great post.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Oh, and "Godzilla" by Blue Oyster Cult came on on the way home. There is a line in it that makes me think of GMO foods:
    History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man!

:tongue:
  • gazelleintraining
    Options
    I'm going to try a little experiment: For the next several months I'm going to eat non-GMO food as much as possible, and see if it has any impact on my weight loss and/or perception of feeling/looking healthy. To that end I've cross-checked a non-GMO food list against the brands I normally buy and eliminated/drastically reduced all GMO confirmed or suspected products. Obviously, my usual once or twice weekly restaurant visit can't be helped, but to my surprise, I was eating a lot of GM foods/GM-related foods prior to my household swap. The grocery store "Vons" (Safeway) carries an organic line of products called "O Organics" that has a pretty wide selection, so it helps keep the costs down.

Today is Day 1 of conscious GM food reduction. To be continued . . .
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try a little experiment: For the next several months I'm going to eat non-GMO food as much as possible, and see if it has any impact on my weight loss and/or perception of feeling/looking healthy. To that end I've cross-checked a non-GMO food list against the brands I normally buy and eliminated/drastically reduced all GMO confirmed or suspected products. Obviously, my usual once or twice weekly restaurant visit can't be helped, but to my surprise, I was eating a lot of GM foods/GM-related foods prior to my household swap. The grocery store "Vons" (Safeway) carries an organic line of products called "O Organics" that has a pretty wide selection, so it helps keep the costs down.

good for you!
  • AEFidgets
    AEFidgets Posts: 243
    Options
    I believe their longterm health effects are unknown. Or deliberately ignored by the people that design them. For that reason alone I want them labeled. If they were labeled people could make their own decisions and we'd all be happy. On another note I think Monasatan is a giant pile of corporate greed and has no concern for our or the planet's well being.
  • FitVeganMaMa
    Options

I did this! 01/01/12 I went NON-GMO! I lost 96lbs. since then. Great minds think a like. Would love to hear how your doing now. Going to add you!
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I don't think tomatoes contain eel genes - where did you hear this? The GMO tomatoes that were made to keep longer had a mixed-up tomato gene in them, not from another species. And they are no longer grown anyway. But this seems dubious to me.

The 'GMO-corn/tumors in rats' study has some serious methodological issues and was conducted by a research group with a documented anti-gmo agenda. The rat strain they used are extremely tumor prone, and without any intervention many will develop tumors spontaneously. There were some questions about the number of control rats actually used in the analysis, too, as I recall.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'm a biologist, so I know the pros and cons to this one. I do choose to eat GMOs.

Yay a Scientist actually appears!!
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    http://www.naturalnews.com/037249_GMO_study_cancer_tumors_organ_damage.html

I'm no sure how I feel about this study and I have not researched it enough to see how valid it is, but it was still an interesting read.

Personally, if I have a clear choice, I try and avoid GMO products as much as possible, but that is sometimes a lot easier said then done

That study's methodology was ripped apart 5 days after it was published. GMO's are safe, period. The science supports it.
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    Options
    This has been a really interesting discussion, thanks everyone!