Eat your burnt calories??

mrs_sarahd818
mrs_sarahd818 Posts: 11
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Something that doesnt make any sense to me is that you have to eat the calories you burn while exercising otherwise your body goes into starvation mode, right? How does that help you lose weight? Whats the point in exercising if thats the case? I thought in order to lose weight you must put out more calories than you take in. Please help me understand this.

Replies

• pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Exercising also allows you to eat more food. So for those that have trouble cutting calories down they can keep them high and exercise to make the deficit needed to loose weight.
  • Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Your muscles weigh more but when you exersize, if you eat immediately after, you are feeding your muscles (so to speak). And your muscles work all day for you, even while you sleep, to work off fat.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,849 Member
    In the case of your calories through MFP - they already calculate a deficiency based on your stats and goals. If you didn't exercise, you'd still have a deficiency.
  • lgav23
    lgav23 Posts: 33 Member
    I think the total amount of Calories that you can eat BEFORE exercise is the amount you can eat and lose your desired amount of weight WITHOUT EXERCISE....therefore when you add exercise it adds more calories because you were already at your goal amount, if it doesn't add them you will be under your goal and go into starvation mode.
    I hope you can understand what I mean, its hard to explain it...LOL

(example) basically you can eat 1200 and lose 1.5 lbs a week
    so if you burn 500 cals through exercise, you need to replace them and eat 1700 cals. because they already gave you your low number.

Good Luck☼
This discussion has been closed.