New life is making weight loss very difficult, need help!

Options
So recently (since sept) I have started substitute teaching full time everyday at a different school (somedays commuting up to an hour away from home). I usually get done with school at 3-3:30, and then I drive to my night job, which is an hour from my home, in the opposite direction of the school, so usually when I get done with school I drive for 1-2 hours to get to my next job, where I work from 5-10pm, and then drive an hour home, and sleep from 11:30-5:30. I work at the night job sunday-thursday, and spend the weekends (fri night- sun afternoon) with my boyfriend, and we usually eat like crap on the weekends unfortunatley.

Anyway, so during the week I obviously have very little time to prepare food, I usually eat an english muffin for breakfast, a frozen meal for lunch, and usually either fast food or another frozen meal for dinner. And I don't have anytime for carido or working out during the week, and by the time the weekend rolls around I am so exhausted the most physical activity I want to do is walk the dog. So I really need some suggestions on how to eat better/be better with this insane lifestyle, which will continue until june. I mean, as far as fast food suggestions (honestly usually mcdonalds, jimmy johns, chipotle, etc.) on what would be good to eat, what meals need VERY little prep, like seriously ten min or less lol, and like seriously even little excersises I can do during my mulitple hours spent in the car would be great! Thanks in advance!! Sorry this is a novel!

Replies

• bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    It happens sometimes. Focus on small changes that you can adopt one at a time, and add them in when you can.

Try googling once-a-week cooking or monthly cooking - lots of ideas for make & take meals, generally better than prepackaged or fast food. (Well, not tater tot casserole. Use your judgement.)

Get a tub of protein powder and make breakfast smoothies - fine to make them the night before, takes 5-10 minutes including cleanup. Powder, milk, frozen fruit, veg. Done!

Teaching is standing up, right? So that's better than a desk job already. If you can, take a walk during your lunch break (if you get one) - even 10 minutes is better than none.

I don't know many car exercises, but try paying attention to your posture while driving. You will be surprised how much it engages your core. And you might not lose weight, but hey, at least you'll be standing up straight, and that's slimming. :smile:

Good luck!
  • dday77
    dday77 Posts: 1
    Options
    Take one hour on the weekend and make all your food for the week then package it in single serving containers. I usually make everything and freeze half and leave the other in the fridge rotating a frozen meal from the freezer to the fridge. Make each meal something simple to microwave or eat as is.
    This is simple, keeps you from eating crap food and it saves money. Personally I can eat the same exact food every single day so I'll make 10 chicken breasts/turkey and even hamburgers. I don't prepackage side items anymore but when I first started tracking calories I'd package everything from meat to veggies.
    Another good tip, keep a case of water in your car, that will keep you from stopping at the gas station and grabbing a soda.
    Regarding the weekends, do the same thing you do during the week, you don't have to eat what your boyfriend eats. Even if you feel you need to eat fast food make better choices, grilled chicken sandwich no mayo no fries. Little decisions add up to big results.
    Plan ahead and dieting is easy,
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    You'll get some good tips but I think you need to ask yourself if this is actually a sustainable lifestyle. I'm sure you have good reasons for your choices but all I think reading it is "something's gotta give ".

Good luck.
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    Thanks for the comments guys, I really dig what your saying! Sorry I don't have any good suggestions, besides, do NOT give up! I'm in a similar boat.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    No apologies necessary! We are just lucky you had a moment to breathe to even type this girl!

First, just know that your body composition is 80% food and 20% exercise...so while it would be terrific if you could fit something in ~~~> like with the boyfriend, your weight loss is not totally dependent on it!

My first thought is that in your off-time...cook! Healthy things! It could become a FUN hobby! That's what I did way back in the day!

Go shopping once a week and get the good stuff: veggies, salad stuff, easy to cook meats, eggs...you CAN do this...all of us had to learn NEW ways of doing our lives AND I think YOU can too!

:flowerforyou:
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    You sure have a nice shape - va va voom!
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Check out my dairy if you want I like easy stuff.

For breakfast I do a protein smoothie or instant oatmeal and a hard boiled egg (for protein).
    The English muffin isn't a bad start try adding some protein peanut butter or maybe fat free cream cheese

Lunch is often lowfat greek yogurt I often throw in granola but you have to watch there isn't a ton of sugar so its just a handful for crunch if you're watching sugar and have the calories/fat I also like to toss in slivered almonds for crunch. A cup of grapes and cubed cantalope (I cut on Saturday and portion it out just grab a bag or container and go.) then maybe some mini rice cakes and a string cheese for a snacks.

All of this can go in a little cooler and be carried anywhere =) and you probably get more calories per day than I do (I'm a shortie and closer to my goal weight so I have a pretty low goal).

If you have to do frozen or quick for dinner watch the sodium...try to stick to sandwiches and salads if you have to eat out.

As for exercise what kind of school? elementary, middle or HS? do you have a recess or teacher prep hour? If so pack some tennis shoes and go for a nice brisk walk you'd be surprised how many calories you can burn in 30 minutes just walking.
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    You'll get some good tips but I think you need to ask yourself if this is actually a sustainable lifestyle. I'm sure you have good reasons for your choices but all I think reading it is "something's gotta give ".

Good luck.

She did say it's a new life (new job, sub teaching) so I don't exactly think somethings gotta give, not yet at least. Sub teaching can and does lead to full time 100% contract teaching, which is what she MIGHT want. Then she could give up the night time job. I don't know you the least bit, but maybe in this hard economical times, she needs the money, or needs to keep that avenue of teaching open, for her long term future. Maybe this is just a short term thing until she decides on what's best....maybe this best, for now. DON'T GIVE UP regardless
  • snoopynut1972
    snoopynut1972 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I second the protein shake suggestion. I bought a Ninja blender with the single serve cups - best investment I could have made. Frozen banana, chocolate protein powder, unsweetened almond milk, pulse a few times and I'm out the door with breakfast in hand. I divide and freeze fruits and veggies for my protein shakes into individual servings. Great way to "save" produce that's getting close to going bad too. Almond milk is lower on calories (but lacking the extra protein) but the big plus is being able to buy extra boxes that are stored in the pantry so you always have it on hand.

Several days a week I don't make it home early enough to enjoy dinner at home. So I will try to pack something in my lunch box that I take to work that I can eat/drink in the car. Premixed protein smoothies, a wrap with turkey, cheese and some veggies, Protein bars (watch the sugar and carb content on them), and I always have a serving or two of nuts and seeds mix (cashew, almonds, sunflower, pepita, raisins, etc) in my purse and car.

As far as fast food....not a whole lot that can be considered good. Heck even the salads at some joints are worse that the big mac, fries and soda you could have had. If you must do fast food - do your homework first on their website looking at the nutrition content. The books "Eat this, not that" are very educational....and entertaining.

As far as weekend with the boyfriend, time to change those habits and fit the healthy eating into your routine.

As someone else said, work in one or two small things at a time, until they become natural, then add another one or two. You can do this!!! Good luck!!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Prepare meals on the weekends and freeze them into portions. The schools probably have a microwave so you can heat them up there.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I am a substitute teacher, too. I don't work a second job, but I do have two little kidlets so that is almost a second job.

I usually make refrigerator oatmeal the night before (oatmeal, water or milk, dried fruit, nuts, etc.) and it's ready the next morning. I make a loaf of bread into peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and freeze them. The trick with the PB and J is to put peanut butter on both slices of bread and the jelly in the middle. Then the jelly doesn't make the bread soggy. I put one into my lunch in the am, and it thaws by lunch. I also pack a water, cheese stick, and an apple for the rest of my lunch. I eat a snack with my kids in the afternoon. I also pack healthy snacks into my bag so if I get hungry I will eat that instead of something out of a vending machine. I try to pack luna bars, whole wheat crackers, all natural popcorn, etc. I try to think ahead on that one.

Dinner for me is usually something I throw in the crockpot in the am before I head out the door, like a veggie soup or beans and rice or something easy. You might want to make a big meal and freeze portions as someone else mentioned.
  • vabchloser
    vabchloser Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    It's already been said, but I'll say it again. I am by myself most of the time. Before my cook day, I throw some chicken in the fridge and marinate it. Spend a couple hours cooking and packing meals, then throw them in the freezer. (Freezing bowls of soup is a great option too!)

Quinoa can be made and kept in the fridge all week and just take what you want.

I like it after several weeks when I have many different meals in the freezer to choose from.

Also, fast food could be the salad bar at your local grocery store (bring your own dressing) or Chick-fil-a - they have a great chargrilled chicken salad and grilled chicken wraps. Delicious and healthy too.

I guess it's all in the work you're willing to do. Maybe your boyfriend can help you out, then you can have a healthy meal with him.
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    Frozen low fat turkey burgers take 10 min. in a skillet. You can grill onions, buy thin slice cheese, add whatever you like. I cook them 2-3 at a time for the next couple of days.
    Heat refried beans and warm a tortilla.
    I buy cooked chicken, cut in pieces and freeze. 1 min. thaw in the microwave.
    Sweet potato microwaved
    Frozen vegetables, 5 min. microwaved

For junk food craving:
    Pop Chips
    Lean Cuisine pizza is pretty good.
    Hebrew Nat'l Fat Free hotdogs @ 40 cals each, topped with turkey chili. They freeze well.

There are online nutrition sites for McDonalds and any fast food, but even the low cal choices are packed with sodium and chemicals. You can cook fast food just as fast and make it healthful. Tastes better too. You can make your own Egg McMuffin.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Maybe focus obviously changing one odd those meals first. Like ditch the frozen lunch and pack grapes, bell pepper, lunchmeat, a slice of cheese and a few crackers.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Sometimes life throws us through a loop, but you can get back on track. I definitely know what you're feeling though. In the last month I have moved into my own place, got a car, and my co-worker quit so I got a full time position (7days a week) until this week (now 5 days a week).

It has really helped to make things in bulk. Like I'll make a bunch of meatballs at one time and freeze them in portion size bags and defrost them the night before for my boyfriend and I, so that when I get home all I have to do is make the pasta, heat up the sauce, and add the meatballs. I do this with soups too.

It also helps to precut your veggies and prep fruit ahead of time so you can just grab what you need and toss something today.

I have became a fan of theyummylife.com. She has overnight oatmeals and oatmeal smoothies that you can make in bulk and freeze. They're really good and perfect for when you're on the run. I personally love the smoothies! She also has something for McMuffin Copycats, which I have made and my boyfriend loves. You bake the eggs and assemble the muffin sandwiches adn either refridge or freeze them until eating.

Once you get your system down and if you like to have regular or similar meals each week, it's easy to put these things in the MFP recipe builder and save for later.

EDIT: I also find things that you can bake very handy. For example, will defrost chicken breast and bake it for about 30 minutes at 350 with veggies around it. while it is cooking, I'll take the time to pick up the house or work on something else that I need to do. It really helps for making a healthy meal. Only con is you have to wait for it to cook, but I find it worth it some nights when I get home late and don't wnat to cook, I just toss it in and do a craft to relax while it cooks.
  • losingdreamie
    Options
    There are many great low calorie crock pot recipes. My weeks can get very hectic with my sons soccer schedule as well as cub scout meeting and activities. We use the crock pot A LOT! I also always make enough so I have it for lunch the next day. Just throw your stuff in it in the morning and when you get home your dinner is ready to go. I have a pressure cooker that doubles as a slow cooker. It's electric and you can set it like a coffee pot to start cooking at a certain time. My local grocery store offers pre-packaged salads that are plenty for a full meal for two or enough as a side salad for several meals. When you get home your dinner is cooked and you can easily have a side salad with it.

Another good idea is to put several crock pot meals together in a freezer bag ahead of time. Then in the morning take it out, throw it in the crock pot, set it and go.

30073092.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • catneon
    catneon Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Wow really good suggestions here!! diddo on the shake smoothies for breakfast you can ever grab it and drink it on the road and as much as I hate to admit (cuz I hate doing it!!) taking a hour or so to prep your food on the weekend is CRUTIAL to make sure you eat better during the week, cut your veggies, fruits etc.. and put in portion containers/baggies so in the morning it's grab and go.
    I started boiling my chicken breast I cut it in pieces and freeze in baggies I bring in my lunch to add to a salad or make a quickk wrap with hummus.
    The crock pot is your friend! use it, look on Pinterest for great preparation ideas that you bag up in your freezer and stick in the crock pot in the morning.
    and...if you have to eat out just be careful, have sauce/dressing on the side and get just a sandwich no sides! (no cookies, chips or fries!) and drink water.
    Best of luck!
  • FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    i have a seriously busy schedule as well. Here's what I've found helps for me:

Stock up on low-cal, portable snacks. They'll come in handy when you're hungry, but don't have time for a meal. They'll hold you over without making you feel guilty.

Sugar-free Jello (Snack Pack) (10 cal per cup)
    100 calorie popcorn bags
    100 calorie snack bags (cookies, pretzels, chips, etc.)
    Fruit & Veggies
    Nuts

Learn how to make fast and easy foods, and prepare them in bulk for the week. I put them in square Lock&Lock containers (Best plastic containers EVER. They NEVER spill) and put them in the fridge for easy access in the morning. I make a lot of pasta salad with cucumbers, pasta, green peppers, etc. I also make soup, pasta, risotto, veggie stir-fry, and shepard's pie in large batches. Sandwiches are also great to make for the day, but I can't make them ahead of time. Soggy bread is gross. :/

You just have to make the time to make the meals, and have the will-power to stay away from fast food. Be prepared for the day.
  • jpohoney
    jpohoney Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    ziplock steamer bags should be your friend! you can have a yummy chicken and veggie meal in no time and much more filling than those yucky frozen meals. And really it comes down to choices and no excuses. don't make them (excuses) and don't take your own excuses. they will only make you fat.
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    What about frozen vegatables some with sauces or not are better choice and you could eat the whole package. for my cheat i buy the small green Giant ones. They are quick and easy. I also cook 2 big meals at one time on the weekends. and put some in the frig and some in the freezer for later.
    just some ideas:
    If you have a slow cooker/ crock pot. I cook many things in it I start out big and put half in freezer. You can do Roast beef and veggies, Chicken, Pork Loin, turn it into smoked, and add BBQ sauce. There are many good recipes on here and many other places if you need idea's for this.

Exercise in the Car. I also have a hour ride and do leg lifts, with knee bent, I lift my arms, straight out in front of me or with elbow bent, i also use the steering wheel to pull myself forward , but be care and give your self lots of room in front of your car so you have reaction time if something should happen in front of you while you are driving.