Easy, cheap, healthy recipes for a budding cook? :)

Options
mrsgigandet
mrsgigandet Posts: 53 Member
Hi all! I was wondering if anyone had some recipe ideas for a college gal who is on a very tight budget and does not have a lot of experience in the kitchen, but would LOVE to learn more. I'm open to trying just about anything that is cheap and healthy, my only vice is that I can't eat fish :) Thanks in advance! Y'all rock!

Replies

• Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Try baking chicken ( whatever cut you like), salsa, garlic and olive oil with some black pepper all together in one pan in the oven

mix everything together really well and bake covered at 350F for an hour. YUM! and easy!

also, get some bottles of marinades...they are very handy because you just pour whichever flavor you like over raw chicken and bake! Makes it yummier with some chopped onions and garlic in the pan too.

When i was a student, I would go to stores that had marked down canned veggies and beans and stock up on those. they make good side dishes.

Buy some dried beans and rice. pasta is fairly cheap...all you have to do is soak a cup of dried beans with enough water to cover the beans, overnight and next day you have nice plump beans ready to be cooked.and one onion chopped up and some garlic chopped up....check for salt and its yummy with some cooked rice! boil them with some Old Bay seasoning, or taco seasoning packets, or any kind of seasoning packets in the spice aisle....its really yummy and easy since all the spices are in one packet....check for sodium content and also that there is NO MSG!!
  • bima80
    bima80 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump