Question on burning calories

Oompa_Loompa
Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
When i go to the gym, I use the Arc trainer for 30 minutes. And in that 30 minutes it says that I burn close to 500 calories...does that sound right?

Replies

• photoman67
    photoman67 Posts: 116 Member
    I'd say that sounds about right. That's a little over 16 calories per minute.
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    I have heard that most machines are based on a 5'10" male at 185 pounds (I dont know how true it is but that is what they tell us at my gym). So when you are on a machine like that assume that the calories burnt are not 100% accurate (unless you are a 5'10 inch, 185 pound male)
    BUT -- most machines ask for your weight and age...this will make the calories more accurate (but for women unforntunately) still a bit high.
    The best way to know what your calorie burn is - is a heart rate monitor.
    This was all told to me by the trainers at the gym (if anyone knows that it is incorrect, Id love to know that :smile: ) but this is the guidelines that we follow at my gym.
  • It used to say the same for me as well but then I bought a heart rate monitor and its 300-350 cals for me in 30 min but depends on your weight, age, and heart rate... hope that helps. AND I LOVE my heart rate moniter.... never workout without it!!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    where can you get a heart rate moniter? It tell you accuratley the calories you burn?
  • workingitout
    workingitout Posts: 105 Member
    What is an Arc trainer? I would love to try it and burn some serious calories! I work out at the Y so I hope they have one!
  • erica: I got my heart rate monitor on ebay it is a Polar F6... and YES they are very accurate! You wear the band around your waist which keeps track of your heart rate and the watch displays your heart rate and calories burned. You program it (watch) based on your gender, height, weight, and age. I highly recomend it.... makes you work out even harder!
This discussion has been closed.