Chinese Steamed Pork Buns

Options
2»

Replies

• qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but Asians have higher risks of heart-related diseases at a lower BMI. So even though we are smaller, we are not healthier.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-204_162-525887.html
  • StevenHaley
    Options
    I didn't say Asians were healthier and this is not the point of my posting. I said that you don't see so many obese Chinese people...

"Chinese people are eating them everywhere and China is not really known for its obesity......"

Anyway, I have my answer now and thanks to all. Can this thread be closed somehow?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    My son and I LOVE these! We call them Cha-Shu Bun .. or something similar .. pork filled rice buns (made of rice flour I mean).. just as you described.. and they ARE truly divine.

I should go buy a package and see what they state the calorie content is... yummmmm!!

Its Ok, I'm accepting it and facing the fact. These are little local shop made, no packaging or anything. they can come in a variety of fillings Char Sui Bao being one of my favourites. the ones I had were pork and vegetable (veggies for breakfast? Not bad for me). I will face facts now I know what I'm dealing with. Need to move onto the rest of the Chinese menu now.......

How many calories in chicken's feet anyone? (just kidding, i don't eat them).

Yum chicken feet! I didn't enjoy having to snip off their claws first though and it took ages to make :) Good luck trying to calorie count the food there! Will be a bit tricky but fun trying!!

I think the only way to close the thread is to hit the button below that says "Report post" otherwise they just drift off eventually.
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about Char siu Bao or Zhurou Bao? I live in Asia, from what I have known, they usually add fat/lard to help with flavoring. This include all kind of Dimsum, Hakao and Shumai included.
  • ldabao
    ldabao Posts: 8
    Options
    OMG!!! I just bought one from Lee's Sandwiches only to have eaten it and realized it had over 700 calories!?!? I admit they are more on the HUGE side of Char Siu Bao but I am shocked to learn that it has 700 calories. Lees Sandwiches has a nutritional list so assuming its correct. OK, guess that makes up my calories for the day... and its only 3PM. *sigh* BTW- Trader Joe's sells smaller ones - four per package, that are perfect little snacks and a helluva lot less calories than Lee's gigantic one. Now I know, now I know.
  • cosmic8o8
    cosmic8o8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am no expert in nutrition and I am not critisising the people who have made the effort to put in all nutritutional figures into the database but Chinese Buns confuse me.

They are made with flour and SOME sugar but not a vast amount (my wife is Chinese so I have a good source), the pork and vegetable inside are not fried or anything before going inside and the buns are steamed.

I am really surprised that one bun averages out at 150-200 cal each. I haven't got sizes or measuremnts and don't want to make a massive issue but I bought 3 this morning with the intentions that they were healthy(ish). Chinese people are eating them everywhere and China is not really known for its obesity though Dirty Donald's, KFC and Burger KIng are attempting to change that.

They are not filling or stodgy, the meat is minimal and if there is little sugar in the dough (it is not sweet) and really don't understand where the calories come from. They taste great by the way.

You realize the logical fallacy of Chinese people aren't really fat and they eat steamed buns so they are kind of healthy right?

Anyways, it would largely depend on the filling, something like Char siu bao would have more cals then a veggie steamed buns

In Hawaii, we call these manapua. The filling if it's charsiu is pork that is sweetened. The dough also has sugar added. There's your calories.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    As others have said, the buns are really doughy. Flour is amazingly very calorie dense. Also, if it is the barbeque pork, it is a higher fat content in the pork and they use honey or sweetner on the pork. Mostly the flour is the issue. I've make them from scratch before, and it doesn't surprise me at all any more, but I do enjoy them.

This. I'd think the 150-200 might even be a little low, but I guess it depends on the size. The ones I get are pretty big.
  • shellr06
    shellr06 Posts: 14
    Options
    I have often wondered how to make steam buns! Anyway, just an idea (remember that I haven't had one) could you thin the layer of dough to reduce the calorie intake? Might not work, but thought I would suggest it.

- Shelley
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I have often wondered how to make steam buns! Anyway, just an idea (remember that I haven't had one) could you thin the layer of dough to reduce the calorie intake? Might not work, but thought I would suggest it.

- Shelley

Then you have Xiao Long Bao. Great, now I'm craving Xiao Long Bao!!
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you make them, I guess. I had bbq pork inside the buns at dim sum and they were pretty sweet. I can imagine all those calories coming from sugar.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Sorry, you said Pork Bun....couldnt resist

1536484.jpg