Modified modified push-up?

Options
I am 3 days in to the 30DS. And one knee really hurts tonight. Based on how it feels, it's not muscular and it's not strained. It feels more like a bruise. I'm guessing that doing the modified push-up is bruising my knee.

I'm definitely not ready for a traditional push-up. Anyone have a suggestion for a knee-friendly effective modified push-up?

Thanks!

Replies

• DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Maybe rest your knees on a firm, flat pillow when you have to do them? I know the feeling you're talking about; I get it too but it's never bothered me enough to stop. Haha.
  • Jade1964
    Jade1964 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a wall push-up? When I first started working out with my Trainer I could not do a modified or a regular push up if my life depended on it. Try wall push ups. It will work you into regular push ups in no time ;o)
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Thicker padding underneath the knees? When i'm cooking i'll use the kitchen counter to do push-ups. Depending on how far you stand away, the more strength it'll take. Doing a few sets of 10 while cooking is something you can do when you don't have a lot of time to dedicate to a worrk out
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Do upright push-ups against a wall, or even try them using the stairs!

I find the modified push ups are too easy on the arms but hard on the knees at times...
    So the ones on the stairs are more challenging than the modified version of push-ups, AND easier on your knees.

it's a win win for me! :)
  • MyPaperBleedsInk
    MyPaperBleedsInk Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Well, when I started the 30 day shred, I couldn't even DO the modified push up. That's how pathetic my upper body strength was.... so I just was on my stomach, knees and legs flat against the floor, and would just push myself up with my arms. Continued this til I could finally do a modified one with knees, but I'm sure this is an okay version to continuously do.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have to have pillows under my knees to support the knee that I sprained and prevent further injury. You could try that :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a wall push-up? When I first started working out with my Trainer I could not do a modified or a regular push up if my life depended on it. Try wall push ups. It will work you into regular push ups in no time ;o)

^^ This

Use the wall or a coffee table or something that has an incline, where you are between 90 degrees and 45 degrees. The incline will still help with the weight and you won't have your knees taking the brunt of the work. In NROLFW, the author suggests that wall push-ups and incline push-ups are much better for your core anyway than the knee ones.