How do you get through an injury?

Options
I'm dealing with a knee injury where I am VERY minimally weight-bearing with crutches. I can weight bear in ONE position only, for about 20'). I can only crutch along on level ground and for short distances. I am normally very active playing in the outdoors. Even with my active history I am very overweight, although I have lost weight in the last year (and once before lost 80lbs and kept it off for a year, lost healthfully). I have pretty decent eating habits but I find with not being able to be active I get depressed and I eat pretty badly. Also, it is difficult to go grocery shopping because I have to limp along with the cart and I get painful and distracted. Of course, sometimes my awesome friends help with this. I'm a nurse so obviously I am unable to work (and I can't work until my knee is stable-we don't have "light duty" work here unfortunately). I am waiting for medical imaging to find out if I need surgery. If I need surgery it will be about a year to wait. During that time I'll be able to return to work eventually, but my physical activity will still be limited. Right now I am limited mostly by pain and also by decreased physical ability in my affected limb. I'm going to physio and doing my exercises but I have MAJOR muscle loss. It's only been 3 weeks.

So I guess I am wondering a couple of things: How do I stay mentally healthy, when my main source of maintaining my mental health is playing outside? How do I keep from getting really fat again (and potentially hopefully continue to lose, albeit slower)?

Thanks in advance for sharing. I've been wallowing for a few weeks and now am trying to get motivated (I am of course motivated to heal and have been trying to be a model patient and I'm doing my physio exercises).

Replies

• Hulk0511
    Hulk0511 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I went thru a schatic injury that affected my leg for a year. I did alot of upper body exercises with dumbbells and swam just using my upper body and not kicking. I know what you are going thru and wish you a speedy recovery. Recently I pulled a muscle in my back and thru logging and keeping track of my calories I was still able to lose 5 lbs. Add me if you like always willing to listen. Take care. George
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I've had multiple orthopedic surgeries throughout my life due to a bone disease I was born with- I have bone and cartilage tumors on every joint of my body. I've had surgery on my legs alone 4 times and have been confined to wheelchairs and very large casts.

To answer your question, you just do.
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    hey.
    so, last year for me was all about the cycling,swimming,running etc getting ready for a season of triathlons this year and half IM next year. Then, come the start of April this year, i felt a slight twinge in my lower back. I had a charity bike ride coming up a couple of weeks later, so i laid of the excercise to not make it worse, figured it'd be ok with a couple of weeks rest.

no. in fact it got worse. much worse. it turned out to be a slipped disk which put pressure on my sciatic nerve which effectively stopped me using my left leg. The pain was intense from my hip straight down the left side and i ended up on a walking stick, with a diet of valium/cocodamol etc. For a few months, things just kept deteriorating. I started to get really down about it and was starting to think the worst. There were times when i even thought, 'ya know, i could happily manage without the leg being there if it meant the pain stopped'. It effected my life immensely, i have a 3yr old that wants nothing more than to play 'jump on daddy when hes laying on the floor' and i was physically unable to give him the attention that he needs. Each day, i saw deterioration and no improvement whatsoever. My sleep pattern was mullered, i'd wake up at 3am every day in agony, and it got to the point that i didnt need to look at the closck, i knew it was 3am.

Anyhow, i soldiered on... and one week, i thought, hey, do you know what?it hasnt got any worse... then id see a marginal improvement, such as how long i could go between taking painkillers. very tiny improvement each week which were almost unnoticeable, however, once i started seeing them, i got my hopes back.

today, i'm in a position where i'm off the pain killers (its still painful, but more uncomfotable than anything) and i ditched the stick. I've returned to the gym but concentrating on low weight exercises and strict form, to help build back the core muscles. My tri/IM plans are knocked back probably until 2014 considering my level of cardio fitness has gone down the pan!
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for sharing. My injury isn't as severe so I should stop complaining!!
    It will be better I think when I can get down on the floor, then I can do sit ups and pushups (well maybe on the push ups). And we kind of have a public pool here so at some point I might be able to swim. The pain is mostly okay except for a certain few things. The hard part for me is the change in lifestyle. Elisabat is right though I guess, you just do!