Question About Burning Calories VS Eating Them

CaptainJim157
CaptainJim157 Posts: 390
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello! I have a question since I'm still kind of new to all this, I went grocery shopping for 2 1/2 hrs today (150 min) I also went to the gym and went on the treadmill and bike, anyways, I burned 774 calories between those 3 things today, first off, did I really burn that much? that seems insane! lol
And my actual question is that now it says I have 1700 calories to eat still today, (usually I have 1570 cal a day to lose weight) I put in my food intake today (what I've eaten so far) and now it says that my daily goal is in the 2000's, but with my food I've eaten it's 1700 and something. My question is, can I eat the whole 1700 today and still lose the weight? or will I be going over my calorie limit 'cause when I don't exercise it gives me 1570 a day... I'm just quite confused, can anyone help me?

EDIT: Sorry if this has been mention before or explained, I have a learning disability among other things so I can't quite get what people mean sometimes, I hope you can bear with me and help me understand. ^^

Replies

• When you exercise...you def need to eat more calories so that your body will burn the food (and fat) and not your muscle while your body is repairing itself from the exercise. If you don't eat enough...your body won't have the fuel it needs to function and will start to store reserves (meaning fat!!!). If you watch the Biggest Loser...they are constantly being told to not skimp on their calories...they have to eat. So the program is giving you a calorie goal that you should try to get close to. You will still lose the 1-2 pounds per week that you stated in your weekly goal when you joined the site.
  • I have had the same question recently, an dhave been told many diferent things. And after reading a lot of postings on here about it, I have come to the following. MFP figures in your exercise deficit already. Don't force yourself to eat more calories that aren't needed.

No one should ever go below 1200 calories per day! Your body will go into starvation mode and will begin to store fat in order to protect itself.

Just because you may not feel hungry during the day doesn't mean you shouldn't eat. Actually, you should eat BEFORE you get hungry. Once your stomach starts growling, your body is already in the process of storing fat. Eat at least every 2.5 - 3 hrs. and STOP eating at least 3 hrs. before you go to bed at night.
  • Ah, okies! Thank-you both very much! Looks like I have some eating to do! :p (healthy eating that is) My mom and I just bought lots of healthy foods today when we went grocery shopping! ^^ So, did I really burn 774 calories just from walking that 2 1/2 hrs, (plus the gym exercise) that seems really crazy but if it's true I'd be so happy! :smile:
  • lizzle
    lizzle Posts: 2
    Losing weight is about calorie deficit. This means that when you eat a certain amount of calories a day those are intake. You then subtract the calories you burn doing excercise, whatever that may be. Those are calories going out. Basically when you set up to eat a calorie amount lower than 2000 that assumes you will not be burning calories w/exercise. When you enter the excercise you have done the calories burned are added to what you can take in that is why the number goes up; you have burned more than you have taken in. As long as you don't consume more calories than you burn you will lose weight. It is important to eat healthy foods that are rich in vitamins and minerals and fiber, etc. These can be low in calories but give you the 'good stuff' you need to feel energized and lose weight. The deficit of calories accumulates throughout the week too. Burning a total sum of 3500 calories is equal to one pound of weight loss. It seems like a lot but if you can burn several hundred in one workout you are doing great! Good luck! Once you start to see changes you'll get a handle on what you can eat and not and that sort of thing. Remember veggies and fruit are your friend!
  • Thanks! ^^ I had some raspberries for a snack. mmmm so good! lol
This discussion has been closed.