I know, I know, another 'how many calories?' topic

Options
...but I'm confused!

I have not yet hit a plateau, but I am very conscious of doing this eventually and my weight loss has slowed down a lot, just not to a complete stop.

I've been reading about this BMR and TDEE, and I've worked out both, but I just don't understand how this works.

MFP gave me a calorie goal of 1760 to lose 1.5lb a week, and I eat that no problem. I don't normally eat back my exercise calories but that normally only equates to around 180 cal a day, so really I guess I'm netting about 1600.

I've just looked up my BMR on several different calculators and they all give me a figure of around 1962.
I also worked out my TDEE and used this site (recommended by another MPF'er on a different thread) - http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

This told me that to lose fat I need to eat 2017 cal a day, and that would make me lose 70lb a year, so they say.

My issue with this is: it seems way too high! But I want to do what is good for my body, and I've heard you shouldn't eat below your BMR.

Can someone with a bit more knowledge help me out here?
I am 5"10 and weigh 252lb, if that helps.

*Edit - the 2017 cal a day does take into account 1-3 hours of light exercise a week.

Replies

• agent99oz
    agent99oz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10 - did the whole BMR etc etc ate what I should, trained ( Jan - Aug) lost nothing! I have been following a strict 1200 cal program 6 days a week strength training and bam 4kgs gone!
    I know people hate the 1200 cal thing but it has broken my stalled weight loss!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

That is a great thread and explains a lot. The only thing I find a tad unbelievable is the amount of calories, which is what I mentioned in my original post. Is it really possible to eat 2000 cals a day a lose weight, based on my stats?

I also should have said, I ideally want to lose 1.5lb a week. Now I'm not obsessed by the scale and I'd rather see inches coming off than lbs. But i do have a 'time limit' (all be it a fairly long one) as I'm getting married. But I'd like something I can stick to after the wedding, so 1200 cals a day isn't for me.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options

That is a great thread and explains a lot. The only thing I find a tad unbelievable is the amount of calories, which is what I mentioned in my original post. Is it really possible to eat 2000 cals a day a lose weight, based on my stats?

I also should have said, I ideally want to lose 1.5lb a week. Now I'm not obsessed by the scale and I'd rather see inches coming off than lbs. But i do have a 'time limit' (all be it a fairly long one) as I'm getting married. But I'd like something I can stick to after the wedding, so 1200 cals a day isn't for me.

1.5 is possible but it depends on a few different factors.
    Are you insulin resistant?
    How long have you been dieting?
    Have you found your maintenance number?

IMO you should first find maintenance then cut from there.
    I have people losing better at higher cals and solid diet than those forcing themselves to only eat 1200 or lower cals and being miserable.

This post is just the beginning for my friend here.
    In 1 month shes lost about 5% body fat.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/764972-my-progress

She eats about 1800-2k a day BTW.
  • lauren3101
    Options
    I'm not insulin resistant.

I've been doing this properly since July.

No idea on maintenance cals, but I would have thought that would be my TDEE? I know it wouldn't be 100% accurate, but I'm guessing around that mark?

1200 cals a day is not for me. Like I say, I want this to be a lifestyle change rather than a quick fix before I get married.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I'm not insulin resistant.

I've been doing this properly since July.

No idea on maintenance cals, but I would have thought that would be my TDEE? I know it wouldn't be 100% accurate, but I'm guessing around that mark?

1200 cals a day is not for me. Like I say, I want this to be a lifestyle change rather than a quick fix before I get married.

You may be surprised that some people lose fat faster at higher calories.
    Its all hormonal so once everything is running as it should.....
    Do the Road map and see what your TDEE is.
    Cut 20% off that then eat that for at least 2 weeks.
    See how it goes.
  • lauren3101
    Options

You may be surprised that some people lose fat faster at higher calories.
    Its all hormonal so once everything is running as it should.....
    Do the Road map and see what your TDEE is.
    Cut 20% off that then eat that for at least 2 weeks.
    See how it goes.

Ok. 20% off my TDEE is 2160, so I'll stick to that for a bit. Thanks. :)