Stevia is awful

Options
wrevhn
wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
Last night I was trying to make a chocolate avocado (sugar free) mousse recipe I found on pinterest. I think if I had used the suggested sweetener it would have turned out. But all I had was normal sugar and STEVIA.

The very small amount I use in tea (1/4 cup to a gallon, stevia in the raw cup for cup) is JUST FINE.
But the amount needed in the recipe WAS JUST TERRIBLE! :sick:

It was so bitter I had trouble "fixing" the recipe to get it to work!

Next time I might just use nutella or melt hersheys sugar free choc chips.

I like Xylitol better.

Replies

• wrevhn
    Options
    was not sure if it was just me or a bad bag of it or something.
  • juliette28
    Options
    Have you tried Truvia? It's pretty good. Splenda has now come out with a natural sweetener too... it's called nectresse. I'm sorry the Stevia ruined your recipe!
  • wrevhn
    Options
    Have you tried Truvia? It's pretty good. Splenda has now come out with a natural sweetener too... it's called nectresse. I'm sorry the Stevia ruined your recipe!

no, not yet, I've heard of it but i think i thought it was the same as stevia. I could prob try it. :) ty!:smile:
  • wrevhn
    Options
    I wonder if Splenda is the same as aspartame.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure it is. I use it and like it.

Edit: I stand corrected.
  • 05saleengirl
    Options

I've wondered how this new stuff tastes. Because regular a
    Splenda makes me hungry as hell! There is also another natural sweetner called Swerve. Supposedly good. Haven't tried it yet.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Did you lessen the amount you used from the amount of regular sugar the recipe called for? Stevia is much more potent.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    A friend gave me a packet of hers to try. I did not like it. I use real sugar or honey.
  • wrevhn
    Options
    Did you lessen the amount you used from the amount of regular sugar the recipe called for? Stevia is much more potent.

it was the cup for cup one, not the concentrated one.
  • perfecting_emptiness
    Options

^^true story. You def don't need as much
  • wrevhn
    Options

I've wondered how this new stuff tastes. Because regular a
    Splenda makes me hungry as hell! There is also another natural sweetner called Swerve. Supposedly good. Haven't tried it yet.

http://www.nectresse.com/our-story

excited! i read about it, ordered my free sample! ty for suggesting it!
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i don't like pure stevia at all. and stevia used in recipes with chocolate is just trouble. stevia in itself is bitter. add chocolate to that (chocolate has a natural bitterness to it) and the bitterness is enhanced/emphasized.

lots of better-tasting alternatives out there: agave, coconut palm sugar, honey, molasses (although this has a strong flavor).

i like xylitol myself too. but sometimes, i find that xylitol has a "cooling" effect on the palette. sort of like chewing winterfresh flavored gum.
  • wrevhn
    Options
    i don't like pure stevia at all. and stevia used in recipes with chocolate is just trouble. stevia in itself is bitter. add chocolate to that (chocolate has a natural bitterness to it) and the bitterness is enhanced/emphasized.

lots of better-tasting alternatives out there: agave, coconut palm sugar, honey, molasses (although this has a strong flavor).

i like xylitol myself too. but sometimes, i find that xylitol has a "cooling" effect on the palette. sort of like chewing winterfresh flavored gum.

It does a tad, but not enough to bother me. Plus it kills candida I hear, which I have systemic candida. So I like that. But the store near me stopped selling the brand I bought, so I got the big bag of stevia. Mostly for my tea. But I am not fond of it.

Never thought about the chocolate emphasizing the bitter...hmm. Good point.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options

Splenda is the brand name for sucralose. It's not the same as aspartame.

The new Nectresse is derived from Monk fruit. This really isn't new in that health food stores have been selling it under it's Chinese name of Lo Han. It's just a new commercial derivation.

As for stevia, it can be bitter and not for everyone. I use the liquid extract for sweetening drinks and sauces. Products like Truvia or PureVia have some chemical processing to help tone down the bitterness so may be better for cooking purposes.
  • August_1958
    August_1958 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I don't personally use any sugar substitute. I have found multiple reasons not to use them, but since I am lucky and do not have to worry about my glucose levels, I use ONLY natural sugar. I have major adverse reactions to every product on the market and found it just wasn't worth it, even chewing gum.

I've learned to cut back on my sugar intake or eliminate it whenever possible. I still use 2 teaspoons in my tea (when I have it) and it is sweet enough, it is natural and only 32 calories! It has taught me to be conservative with the natural product and has worked for me personally.
  • wrevhn
    Options
    wow, so much info I'm learning! thank you all.

and I looked up Swerve too, it looks like a possible option!

http://www.swervesweetener.com/
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Splenda is the brand name for sucralose. It's not the same as aspartame.

^ Thanks.
  • transvenouspacer
    transvenouspacer Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    A friend gave me a packet of hers to try. I did not like it. I use real sugar or honey.

Same here.

On a side note, a warning to pet owners: xylitol is deadly to dogs so please be careful with it if you have dogs in the house. Sorry for detailing your thread OP, just wanted to make sure dog owners are aware of this!

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread programming :smile:
  • wrevhn
    Options

Same here.

On a side note, a warning to pet owners: xylitol is deadly to dogs so please be careful with it if you have dogs in the house. Sorry for detailing your thread OP, just wanted to make sure dog owners are aware of this!

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread programming :smile:

that is a point that needs to be made ty! i forget to mention that. I learned to stop giving my dog to many scraps period. figured it helped keep me from having to think of or worry about what was in them and if it would harm her.

thx for making that note!
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Truvia makes a baking blend that is part sugar/part truvia. I've tried Splenda, but it caused migraines. Now, I use truvia whenever I sweeten anything.