Sugar

Options
It seems every day I am over in my sugar. I don't really eat that badly. Mostly I think my sugars come from fruit.

Is there such a thing as "good" sugar? I keep telling myself that sugar from a fruit and sugar from a chocolate bar is not the same thing... but I don't know if I am doing this just to make myself feel better or if this is true...

I also seem to have hit a plateau and I feel as though this is due to the sugars that I am consuming...

Please feel free to take a look at my diary and tell me what I am doing wrong...

Note: I know that I should excersize more!

Replies

• MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! Fruit is a good sugar, refined sugar is bad.. What you get in sodas, cake junk food... The sugars from fruit digest differently! So eat your fruit :) And don't worry about the sugar or going over unless it is from the BAD STUFF :)
  • MizzTweezy
    MizzTweezy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    P.S.. can't view your diary, you need to open it for everyone to see :)
  • leminnella
    Options
    I talked to a certified dietitian because I have the same problem with my sugar (its always over, but with the exception of an occasional treat it comes from milk and fruit). She said that in trying to lose weight I should not worry about sugar unless it is way over because I am eating a lot of refined sugar. She also said that I should mostly concentrate on keeping calories and fat numbers within their appropriate range.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    No there isn't really "good sugar". The reason fruit might be considered a "good" source of sugar is because they come with other nutritional benefits, specifically vitamins and minerals. Fructose is not really better than refined sugar.

If you're going to cut down on sugar, cut down on processed sweets. Keep the fruit, at least with fruit you're getting some benefit from the vitamins.

Unless you're REALLY overconsuming sugar, I wouldn't make a big deal of it either way.