Question for the Ladies...

Options
Soo I have a question; pant sizes & how exactly are they supposed to fit?

I was a 13/14 for the past 5 years, but didn't like the muffin top as it got bigger so I'm wearing a 15/16 (thats the size on the tag) right now.
I have a gut, hate my gut, but I feel like these pants make me look bigger.. pants are baggy right above my cooka and on my bum & thighs. I like my pants tighter but I don't want to look terrible either... Im just not sure what to do.. go tighter or loose? I wore a pair of 16's tuesday to work and I couldn't keep them up & I've moved from the 1st belt loop to between the 2nd & 3rd...
IDK, I'm just looking for tips from other women...

Replies

• xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Tighter. Not super tight, but tight clothes are always more flattering than baggy ones. I hate when women hide in baggy clothing.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I think this isn't just an issue of size but an issue of type of pants.

I KNOW that because I'm curvy, most jeans and pants I buy out of regular stores do not fit right. I focus on specific stores whose pants have fit me right in the past and always buy from them. For example, I can't wear regular work pants from anywhere, because I have a waist that's much smaller than my hips. So I only buy work pants from New York & Company (either the 7th Ave or the 5th Ave pant, none of the others) because I've learned that those are the ones that look best on me. I like their jeans too.. regular jeans don't look good on me (probably because they are not made for someone with an *kitten*!)

You want pants that fit you properly on your waist, especially when you sit down and, if you want them a bit tight, I usually get them tight at the top and then wider as they go down my leg. Those are the most flattering on me, and I think it's just going to take some more shopping trials for you to figure out what you prefer for your figure. You can find pants that fit (without the muffin top)!

And make sure you always add a nice top to your pants, especially if you're trying to hide your gut. If you layer up -- like wear a blazer, jacket, or cardigan, that usually helps hide unflattering parts of the body. I try to key in on your good parts too i.e. if you like your boobs or your legs, make sure they look good!
  • ruperthumphrey
    ruperthumphrey Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I hate muffin tops, that is why I always go to the next size. I worry about when you sit down and have it spilling over ( I am a receptionist and very visible). But I get your point in the baggy stuff, I have to keep pulling mine up and I don't even have to undo the zipper to get them down. I agree that pants always look better on someone if they are not baggy. Maybe you could just sew a tiny dart in the waist until you are ready to go down another size.
  • awilmeri
    awilmeri Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I just posted to my friends last night that I went jean shopping last night and it was frustrating because I carry my weight in the tummy and nothing fit well. One thing you could try is jeggings with boots. They are super comfy and have a tighter fit but shouldn't give you a muffin top and anyways I wear tunics over them so you can't see the waist band. Good luck!
  • yomomma2b
    yomomma2b Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I always have that problem!! So annoying. I haven't had a pair of jeans that fit me in 3 years!
    If they fit at my waist (16's) they are baggy on my thighs if they fit my thighs they are too tight on the waist! Frustrating!!!
    I buy Lululemon Yoga pants (not sure if you are in Canada or the US, its canadian owned and operated so i don't think they have them in the states) They have been the best pants i have ever owned in my life. I would have problems with the seams coming apart with other pants on my butt and thighs but not with Lulu's. they are costly ($115 a pair) But WELL worth it!! Good for running/jogging/walking they have a little pocket on the top of the waistband for keys, cell, money, etc. VERY well made and made to last. They fit anything for you that you need fixing on (broken zippers on jackets, hems on pants to fit you) To me it's well worth the money. I'm usually a 16 on my waist but in Lulu's i can comfortable wear 10's or 12's and they look amazing on anyone!!
    http://shop.lululemon.com/products/category/groove-pants?mnid=mn;women;bottoms;groovepants
    This is their site. If you're in the states and can find something similar that's your best bet (well, Lulu would be but in the US they may have something similar) Worth looking for!
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses!
    I think I may have to try Ashley Stewart (big girl store next to my job).. & jeggings!

Thanks again!
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I agree with other people who posted. Find the brand and fit that works for you. I love American Eagle jeans and they have at least 8 different cuts. I prefer the jegging and favorite boyfriend. And I'm actually 2 different sizes in these jeans! I tell my daughter that you have to get what fits and what you will wear. No one sees the size once it's on your body. I currently have 3 different sizes of pants in my closet, but they all fit the way I like them to. Not falling down, but not uncomfortably tight either.

Be prepared to spend some time trying things on and good luck!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think if that's the issues you're having with jeans, try not shopping in the Jrs department. Jrs department jeans and women's department jeans are not cut the same, do not fit the same etc. I have one pair of Jrs dept. jeans that I wear sparingly, they look nice but the fit is horribly, horribly bizare. Switch departments, try on a ton and find which ones you like. They're not all mom-jeans, etc.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    If you go down a size, do not get super low waisted jeans. They only make the muffin top worse. Low rise pants are not for every figure. Go for a mid rise that fits you properly. I'd also skip the juniors and go for the misses department. Macy's has some really cute jeans from INC.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Buy high waisted pants. They may feel old-ladyish at first, but they prevent the muffin top. If you wear a long enough shirt, no one will know they come to your belly button.