Shirataki Noodles

Anyone tried them? Are they good? Very Interested in finding out!!!

Replies

• verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Yes, they're ok as a noodle subsitute ........ but you must rinse them really well :drinker:
  • jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    I use them now and then. You have to rinse them REALLY well to get the storage fluid off (which has a very fishy smell), so long as you rinse them VERY well, I think they are very good. They have a texture that is a bit more like a rice noddle or a ramin noodle so they go great with stirfry. They really don't taste like anything so they will taste like whatever sauce you put on them.

Oh, one other bit of advice... they hold onto a lot of water, so after you rinse them thouroughly, it is a good idea to throw them in pan over medium heat until they start making a crackling/ popping noise, otherwise, if you don't get rid of the excess water, they will make your sauce REALLY watery and thin.

All-in-all, I like them a lot. My husband says that eating too much of them gives him GI issues, but I've never had a problem.
  • THuffman1967
    THuffman1967 Posts: 114 Member
    I just ate them for the first time this week. I ordered Miracle Noodles online, but then after researching found out that you can get them in Asian Food Markets a lot cheaper.

I made a Thai inspired stir fry that was delicious!! Lots of vegetables, shrimp, a little coconut milk, soy sauce, ginger and lemongrass. It was soooo good, and very filling. My second attempt was substituting the noodles for pasta in marinara sauce... not nearly as successful. It was okay, but not great.

I agree with advice that another gave. Rinse them very well to get rid of the fishy smell, and dry fry them to get rid of excess moisture.
  • jessakittyis
    jessakittyis Posts: 159 Member
    I've had them a couple of times and they have an ok texture (not exactly like semolina pasta but more like a rice noodle). But I would say they really need a sauce to make them edible... The first time I had them with a very light sauce and I was just shoveling them down to clear my bowl because if I stop I probably wouldn't have wanted to start again lol. But the next time I had them with an Alfredo sauce and they were much better.