Paleo Diet...Thoughts?

Options
13»

Replies

• ahemming1
    ahemming1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm just going into week 3 of paleo/primal. I'd say I am about 90/10. I haven't been able to give up my coffee/sugar free creamer. I am also a runner and do CrossFit (was 2 days, now up to 3 and will probably add). I waited until I completed a 1/2 marathon at the end of summer to start. Here are my observations so far.....

I am convinced that we are addicted to the 'bad' carbs & sugar and this definitely gets rid of the cravings and the feeling of being bloated. I agree with the others - you're not getting rid of carbs, you're eating the ones that are good for you.

I did see a dip in my energy level and my workouts over the last two weeks. I understand that this goes away around week 3/4. I ran 5 miles on Saturday and it was much better than it's been, so I think I'm rounding that corner.

The biggest piece of advice I would give is to look on-line for all of the great recipes. At first, I thought it was going to be a limited way of eating - but there are soooo many great recipes out there for anything from chicken potpie to cookies and other yummy things. I made three differen paleo meals for my 7 year old this week and he loved them! It seems like it may be expensive (organic, different types of flour, etc), but the way I looked at it it's my life/health and I used to buy a ton of junk food and eat more, so I would guess that it really evens out in the end.

Good Luck! Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I do 80/20 paleo and love it. I have been working on cutting the last 6% of body fat. It has also helped me cut my sodium in half. I will note, as a runner, it's going to be hard to cut body fat. You can burn a ton of calories and many people rarely eat enough to compensate. Now the advantage to paleo is it's all lean meats, tons of fruits and veggies and the foods are delicious IMHO.

I am a bit confused by this " as a runner, it's going to be hard to cut body fat. " cansomeone explain????

im going to guess and hope that he means; he personally will have a hard time cutting that last small percentage of weight because he needs to eat more and lift weights, neither of which he does. i think he also maybe is saying that with his running he has a hard time eating enough calories?

Im not sure, but im a runner and feel that running is actully the one thing that cuts body weight more than anything else?! Yes it makes me hungrier but i also do weights (small ones!) and core classes, yoga, X training. Running is definately my staple though? I think its more about what you consume... If you are running and eating macdonanlds of course you are never going to lose it!

Still confused, could OP explain? If im actually missing somethign here i want to understand!
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your support and comments..I really do appreciate it.
    Let me clarify a few things:
    My weight has been an issue for a good 5 yrs if not longer and it wasn't until January of this year when I switched Dr's that someone finally listened to me. He checked all my blood work and according to him, all is normal. He told me to cut calories for several months and i did that religiously. Nothing happened. I increased my calories for several months...all the while exercising 3-5 days per week, running, spinning, walking. Nothing happened. I would lose 3 lbs only gain it back, etc. I'm sure this story is very familiar. My Dr did agree that I have something going on just not sure what that 'something' might be.
    I did start Crossfit in August..while marathon training.. and did that 2 days per week. Strength training had been my weakness.
    I am the exact same weight I was a year ago. NOW I do realize that my body has changed, meaning more muscle definition, my body is stronger now..I just ran a marathon!!! My issue is that the fat on top of the muscle isn't going anywhere!!! (especially in the mid section).
    I also think that I have some kind of food sensitivity...I get very bloated, and other GI stuff, as well as gastric reflux which caused chronic inflammation of the esophagus. So...cutting out all the 'crap' I believe will help with this significantly, which is the MAIN reason for starting this new way of eating. With that being said..for quite awhile I have been eating pretty clean, with few 'bad' episodes etc., hence the frustration !! (I do not eat fast food at all!)

Anyway, I've also entertained the thought that MAYBE I could be on the cusp of that nasty nasty word that starts with an "M" and hits us girls in these upcoming years..menopause..UGH!!!! Dunno...not sure I wanna know.

Well...I start tomorrow and I'm kinda looking forward to it EXCEPT for my coffee...Sigh...I feel you Ahemming1 about the coffee creamer/sugar. Dare I detox from the long list of banned foods AND the coffee too???..sniff sniff....
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Check out whole30, I'm planning on starting Sunday the 14th. It's based on the book "It starts with food". The same idea as Paleo. It's not about weight loss, but changing your relationship with food. Everyone. Claims it changed their life. I'm hoping for the same results. Consider joining me. Add me as a friend if you like
    Just reading about that this morning as I was going through some Paleo foodie blogs. I'm not Paleo per se but love so many of the blog recipes. Was checking out Paleomg this morning their recipes certainly don't lack for anything, they are tasty and are very healthy looking.

Best of luck!
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    I absolutely love my new life style. I never have difficulties figuring out what to eat becasue it is just so simple. Eat fresh fruits, veggies,meats and nuts. My weight is dropping so rapidly. >>> 224 in the end of May and 191 today. I feel great, I look amazing. I've done my research and I'm never going back. I save so much money b staying away from the center isle in the store and I save even more by not going out. And when I do go out, I choose meals that are still Paleo acceptable. I eat vegetables all the time, meat a couple times a day, and fruit when I want something sweet. I would suggest it to anyone. :D
  • Josette89
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your support and comments..I really do appreciate it.
    Let me clarify a few things:
    My weight has been an issue for a good 5 yrs if not longer and it wasn't until January of this year when I switched Dr's that someone finally listened to me. He checked all my blood work and according to him, all is normal. He told me to cut calories for several months and i did that religiously. Nothing happened. I increased my calories for several months...all the while exercising 3-5 days per week, running, spinning, walking. Nothing happened. I would lose 3 lbs only gain it back, etc. I'm sure this story is very familiar. My Dr did agree that I have something going on just not sure what that 'something' might be.
    I did start Crossfit in August..while marathon training.. and did that 2 days per week. Strength training had been my weakness.
    I am the exact same weight I was a year ago. NOW I do realize that my body has changed, meaning more muscle definition, my body is stronger now..I just ran a marathon!!! My issue is that the fat on top of the muscle isn't going anywhere!!! (especially in the mid section).
    I also think that I have some kind of food sensitivity...I get very bloated, and other GI stuff, as well as gastric reflux which caused chronic inflammation of the esophagus. So...cutting out all the 'crap' I believe will help with this significantly, which is the MAIN reason for starting this new way of eating. With that being said..for quite awhile I have been eating pretty clean, with few 'bad' episodes etc., hence the frustration !! (I do not eat fast food at all!)

Anyway, I've also entertained the thought that MAYBE I could be on the cusp of that nasty nasty word that starts with an "M" and hits us girls in these upcoming years..menopause..UGH!!!! Dunno...not sure I wanna know.

Well...I start tomorrow and I'm kinda looking forward to it EXCEPT for my coffee...Sigh...I feel you Ahemming1 about the coffee creamer/sugar. Dare I detox from the long list of banned foods AND the coffee too???..sniff sniff....

Also, for more motivation to devote yourself to Paleo, you should read "Wheat Belly". After much research on Paleo, I ran into this book and read it. I am still disgusted when I think about and look at Wheat. I used to eat it religiously. Since I dropped the Wheat, I dropped much more weight much more often. Good Luck.
  • Josette89
    Options
    There's a really good article in Scientific American about the Paleo diet this month. Turns out, if you look at the actual science, paleolithic man really didn't eat much meat. Definitely worth a read.
    This is correct. Cavemen were only able to hunt every so often, so it is not like thay just filled themselved with meat all the time. Thay had to hunt and fight for it so it was rare, and because they hunted for it this diet requires a good amount of exercise along with it. I do eat meat at least once a day, but I also have a job where I am on my feet moving all day, and I also work out when I am not working. I only eat meat, veggies, and nuts..... I also devote much of my extra time to exercise (and MFP). :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I do 80/20 paleo and love it. I have been working on cutting the last 6% of body fat. It has also helped me cut my sodium in half. I will note, as a runner, it's going to be hard to cut body fat. You can burn a ton of calories and many people rarely eat enough to compensate. Now the advantage to paleo is it's all lean meats, tons of fruits and veggies and the foods are delicious IMHO.

I am a bit confused by this " as a runner, it's going to be hard to cut body fat. " cansomeone explain????

im going to guess and hope that he means; he personally will have a hard time cutting that last small percentage of weight because he needs to eat more and lift weights, neither of which he does. i think he also maybe is saying that with his running he has a hard time eating enough calories?

Im not sure, but im a runner and feel that running is actully the one thing that cuts body weight more than anything else?! Yes it makes me hungrier but i also do weights (small ones!) and core classes, yoga, X training. Running is definately my staple though? I think its more about what you consume... If you are running and eating macdonanlds of course you are never going to lose it!

Still confused, could OP explain? If im actually missing somethign here i want to understand!

Sorry it too so long to respond but let me expand. Cardio is better for weight loss but not as good for fat loss as weight training. Unfortunately, when you do a lot of cardio and little resistance training, you body will more likely burn through the glycogen stores fairly quickly. So to continue to push hard, it turns to another source of full.. the amino acids in your muscle. So when you lose a lot of weight doing cardio, it's because you lose muscle along with the fat. Now, you can try to mitigate it with a high protein diet, but more than likely, you will still lose muscle. When you lose muscle, your metabolism slows down. Now, I believe that is where geekyjock was going with it. If you have continuously eaten 1200 calories and did long runs, your body will compensate considerably and slow down your metabolic rate as to burn less calories. Thence the lack of ability to lose any more weight.
  • JenMcCrory
    JenMcCrory Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I tried Paelo before I joined MFP and I definitely think it works helped me to reduce stomach pains, headaches, tiredness, etc... However it is just so hard to do in the outside world. I gave up when Hubby was home for a week (he works away) cos we were just eating out a lot and I couldn't enjoy anything.
    I have stuck to the no pasta, rice, potatoes, legumes but have started to bring back bread and cereal. I'm in two minds whether to try follow it again or wait until I'm at goal weight because it's hard enough restricting calories without restricting food groups as well :-(
  • Hearts_2015
    Options

Sorry it too so long to respond but let me expand. Cardio is better for weight loss but not as good for fat loss as weight training. Unfortunately, when you do a lot of cardio and little resistance training, you body will more likely burn through the glycogen stores fairly quickly. So to continue to push hard, it turns to another source of full.. the amino acids in your muscle. So when you lose a lot of weight doing cardio, it's because you lose muscle along with the fat. Now, you can try to mitigate it with a high protein diet, but more than likely, you will still lose muscle. When you lose muscle, your metabolism slows down. Now, I believe that is where geekyjock was going with it. If you have continuously eaten 1200 calories and did long runs, your body will compensate considerably and slow down your metabolic rate as to burn less calories. Thence the lack of ability to lose any more weight.
    bump to read later... thanks
  • fasolane
    fasolane Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds gross but having been addicted to "crack" which is what I call the sugary coffee creamers (oh pumpkin spice creamer, I do miss you) have you ever tried "Bullet Proof Coffee"? Don't judge just yet. Real butter from grass fed cows, coconut oil, and cinnamon. Frothed into your coffee. It is amazing. I don't crave the crack anymore (just miss the idea of it every now and again.) I'm also way more energized, don't need to eat a lot of breakfast, and it sustains me all morning. I used to have 3 cups of coffee with crack, now I just have 1 bullet proof cup and I'm set. Don't knock it til you try it!!
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options

WOW this is amazing. Thats my routine - high cardio, long runs, protein diet. I thikn my body has slowed down my metobolism

what is the counter? Do i start to increase weights and less cardio?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

WOW this is amazing. Thats my routine - high cardio, long runs, protein diet. I thikn my body has slowed down my metobolism

what is the counter? Do i start to increase weights and less cardio?

You can reduce cardio and increase weight lifting to maintain your metabolism but in order to reverse it, you would need to add the muscle back... now if you are training for a marathon (as we all have other goals outside weight loss) then just include resistance training and eat high protein and a very small calorie deficit.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    bump