Love Thai soups but mainly shrimp pad Thai. Yummy :bigsmile:
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Whatever fits
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    Pad see ew is my favorite... but it is a noodle dish.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Pho or any soup really.., Spring rolls, any salad. curry~ any color. The coconut milk which adds a lot of the caloric value, is actually good fats and calories. .. Just about anything that is not deep fried. Thai is really some good stuff. It can be high in sodium,if that is an issue for you . It is my FAVORITE FAVORITE FAVORITE food..

pho is vietnamese.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE Thai food, but I know it can often be really high calorie. I'd avoid anything with curry sauce, it's mostly coconut milk, which is very calorie-dense. Also avoid noodle dishes (pad thai, "drunken noodle", etc). Obviously getting an order of fried rice isn't the best choice.

Good options to consider if you're limiting calories:
    Tom kha gai soup - Chicken and mushrooms with lemongrass
    Green papaya salad
    Marinated beef salad (it's actually quite filling)
    Jungle curry (it's stir fried vegetables with meat or tofu with curry but without the coconut milk, not all Thai places have this)
    Most Thai places have some kind of grilled pork chop
    Chicken or beef satay (grilled on skewers with peanut sauce)
    I've also seen lots of Thai places have steamed vegetables and chicken with peanut sauce. I ate this a lot and lost weight :P

And yes obviously "anything, if it fits in your calories" is a legitimate answer. But I was trying to give you lower-calorie ideas because it seemed that's what you wanted
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I usually get soup or summer rolls and green papaya salad. I avoid anything described as "crispy" (which usually means fried).
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    My heart skipped a beat when I saw this topic! Thai is my favorite!

I usually get the fresh basil spring rolls and/or chicken/tofu and vegetable red curry (no rice/noodles). It fits into my daily cals quite nicely. The other day I got a shrimp and veggie stir fry in a light sauce (no rice/noodles) which was delish.

Basically anything without a really heavy sauce and rice/noodles is a good choice. I know the curry has fat from coconut milk but it's healthy fat and I hardly eat any fat not coming from natural sources.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    The healthiest thing to eat at a Thai food restaurant is anything on the menu while staying within your calorie and macro goals, lifting weights and occasionally doing cardio. Also, green curry.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    All of it! NOM NOM NOM!

Or just soup.
  • wtfusernameisnttaken
    Options
    Not sure about what's healthiest but I'd avoid Thai curries, they're typically made with coconut milk. Maybe Tom Yum Soup or Pad Thai but watch the portions and sodium.

What's wrong with coconut milk?
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Usually there's a cucumber salad on the menu - cucumbers, rice wine vinegar, maybe some sweetener - I love this take on cucumbers! This, the chicken satay appetizer, and a couple shrimp summer rolls (not deep fried). Steamed vegetables with peanut sauce on the side is a good alternative, too.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Not sure about what's healthiest but I'd avoid Thai curries, they're typically made with coconut milk. Maybe Tom Yum Soup or Pad Thai but watch the portions and sodium.

What's wrong with coconut milk?

550 calories in a cup of it, which is often the amount that goes into one order of curry. As a food, nutritionally, there's nothing "wrong" with it. Yes it is a healthy and natural source of fat. But if you're trying to order a lower-calorie option on a menu, it isn't going to be the dish made with coconut milk.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Som tam! One of my faves. Made w/green papaya, maybe carrot, tomato, bean sprouts (the veggies can vary) and dressed w/chilis, lime, fish sauce, palm sugar and often dried shrimp.

These days I ask for it to be made vegan but it's sooooooooooooooo yummy.
  • sunrisefitness
    Options
    What's wrong with pad thai? I thought it was a healthier option, no sauces and the noodles are low calorie? I'm vegetarian and this is one of the choices I thought was good. Please advise. Thx.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    What's wrong with pad thai? I thought it was a healthier option, no sauces and the noodles are low calorie? I'm vegetarian and this is one of the choices I thought was good. Please advise. Thx.

Noodles aren't low calorie. Even rice noodles. Pad thai noodles are cooked in sauce, is often oily, and doesn't have a lot of nutritional value. Pretty common for an order of pad thai to be 900 calories or more.
  • sunrisefitness
    Options
    Thanks SecretLobster. They don't tase oily (I hate oil), and I thought rice noodes were a much better choice. I usually divide a take out order of pad thai into 2 or 3 servings. I will try the steamed veggies w/ peanut sauce ordering off the menu instead.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I had Thai today. Showering Rama (chicken with peanut sauce over spinach), Pad Thai, and Rice. Yummmmmm!
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    My favorite meal is Pra Ram Long Song w/ chicken!! It's veggies and chicken in a peanut sauce... a cup is less than 300 calories, and it's deeeelicious!!!
  • Momof2grls75
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I went out for lunch to a Thai restaurant and had garden spring rolls and the beef salad that someone recommended. There were so many options though and I agree, I think if you stay away from the noodles and anything fried you can find a good low calorie option. I'll definitely be going there again. (Although I have to say I was tempted to get the Pad Thai - but then I read the comment here that they can run 900 calories and I'm glad I didn't. :smile: )