Low net calories okay?

I always eat enough to be satisfied and I never feel that I'm not taking in enough, or that i don't have enough energy or anything, it's just my net calories are always really low, so i was wondering if that's alright?
I made my diary public so you can check it out if you want thanks so much for the help. :)
I really don't think i'm overestimating exercise calories, by the way I usually cut minutes (for cardiovascular) in half or get rid of a quarter when i enter them to be sure.

Replies

• kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    I tried and I can't see your diary. Just b/c you don't feel hungry doesn't mean you're getting all the nutrients and fuel you need. You could just have een doing it so long you adapted.
  • Aah sorry I'm sort of new how can I make it so that you can see it?
  • kellicci
    Aah sorry I'm sort of new how can I make it so that you can see it?

No problem go to MyHome> Settings> Diary Settings> and choose public. Everyone will be able to see it and then later if you want you can change to private or just friends.

Also let us know what your height, weight, age and lifestyle (sedentary vs active) is so maybe we can help you find some good goals.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    I can't see your diary. But, I agree with the above post. You need to make sure you're getting enough of your nutrients. I have low net calories sometimes... and, I don't think it's horrible to do that... but, just make sure you're getting the right nutrients within those calories.
  • Alright you should be able to see it now, sorry about that.

I'm 18, 5'8" 186 lbs last time i checked, and I think my lifestyle is pretty active, considering classes and ice hockey, I also run and work out every day.
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    I just checked out your diary, you aren't eating nearly enough. You need to *at least* net 1200 calories and I would reccommend that you eat much more based on your height, weight, age and activity level. Your BMR comes out to around 1700, so ideally you would NET no less than that.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    No. You're eating way too low. You will fail.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Please tell me this is a joke!! I looked at your diary and was HORRIFIED. Severe, severe calorie restriction and a total lack of protein and other nutrients. Continue down this road and you can look forward to muscle loss, bone loss, hair loss, loss of energy and health. The stress that you are putting on your body with such a low calorie intake is frightening. You need to EAT A HELL OF A LOT MORE. Educate yourself on BMR (basal metabolic rate) and your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and START EATING MORE!!!
  • I'm sorry, but what do you mean by net calories? I usually only eat 1400-1500 calories, which MFP says that my limit is 1640. I've also been told by a nutritionist to NOT eat back the calories that you burn by exercising.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,131 Member
    MAN!! You need to eat more!!! Your poor body!!
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Why don't you try eating breakfast and lunch and then that will bring you closer. Don't understand the pack of honey for a snack:huh:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Hunger isn't always a good indicator of how much to eat. If it were, I'd never have reached 215 pounds.

When you don't eat a lot for a long period of time your body can start to suppress those hunger signals until it gets enough food. Try to up your calories slowly and I think you'll start to notice a difference.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    you seem to be forgetting to log breakfast and lunch...
  • kellicci
    This was just posted somewhere else it's perfect for you to:
    That's one of the biggest drawbacks of prematurely and unnecessarily cutting calories too low and why it's not recommended for those with not much fat mass to begin with and/or not much to lose. Basically, we all have a calorie range where we'd lose weight - the higher end is more sustainable with fewer endocrinological alterations whereas the lower end results in more: ie greatly reduced RMR and serum leptin concentration levels. Thus, the combination of chronic calorie restriction and decreased leptin continues the cycle of eating less and less as time goes on. Next thing you know, you are feeling full on half the calories. Add in psychological changes such as paranoia and anxiety over "weight regain" and that's a recipe for disaster as cortisol levels shoot through the roof and lead to excess water retention and fat storage. You also expose yourself to disordered eating when this happens.
  • i know it's low but when i eat more it makes me feel sick i don't know
    i'm not forgetting to log anything and the honey was with tea.
  • Bethie_B
    Bethie_B Posts: 292 Member
    Please tell us that you're not logging everything you eat.... Days that you're consuming under 800 calories?

This is no bueno. Eat a lot more.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    I'm sorry, but what do you mean by net calories? I usually only eat 1400-1500 calories, which MFP says that my limit is 1640. I've also been told by a nutritionist to NOT eat back the calories that you burn by exercising.

The nutritionist probably isn't familiar with how MFP is set up. MFP is set up specifically to where you DO eat back your exercise calories. If your MFP limit is 1640, it means you should be netting right around there - so if you burn 500 calories through exercise, you need to eat round 2140 calories a day to be healthy and lose weight.

Please eat more! Other posters have already pointed out the dangers of not doing so. Just because you're not hungry doesn't mean anything. Your body can get used to a low calorie diet meaning it won't tell you that you're hungry, even thought it is missing essential nutrients and fuel every day.

It always helps me to think of my body like a car. It needs good fuel or it won't do what I need it to do! Food is that fuel. Especially if you work out a lot, your body NEEDS a good amount of food!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Alright you should be able to see it now, sorry about that.

I'm 18, 5'8" 186 lbs last time i checked, and I think my lifestyle is pretty active, considering classes and ice hockey, I also run and work out every day.

Although I'm not your age, I am about 5'8 1/2, started on MFP at 199 pounds, now down to 160. I did that eating a NET of 1500-1800 calories every day, exercise 4-5 days a week (running, walking, bootcamp classes, yoga) and have consistently lost weight. Without ever feeling hungry or deprived--I eat smarter, move more, and have cut out some junk, but I still eat a variety of foods.

I honestly don't think you're eating nearly enough. Your diary reads like the diary of someone with an ED--very restricted, 400-700 calories per day, extremely low calorie foods, except for one day that you were at/around your 1200 calorie goal. If you are "really" not hungry, don't eat just to eat...but I think you could do some serious damage to your metabolism this way.
  • thank you all for your help
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    ^^ Look! It's Steve from Blue's Clues! :-P ^^

I'm not even going to look at your diary after that comment.

I have the same question about my net. If I do the IPOARM thing and (I think) my figures come to around 1600, is that what I should NET? Also, I eat a lot more on the weekends, and less healthy, so is it okay to net less than 1200 during the next few days? My diary is open. I'm 5ft4.5, 211 lbs, 34 years old and I'm currently not working so not much activity besides Zumba twice/wk and Curves 2-3 times/wk. For now, I want to lose 2 lbs/wk but after New Years, I'm cutting it back to 1.