How to Stay Healthy While Getting Fit.

Options
As I sat in my local “Globo Gym” enjoying a well-deserved spinach omelet this morning, I looked out over the floor and thought about some of the things I have seen in the gym which: a) annoyed others, or b) got somebody hurt (including me). Gyms are pretty safe places. People come there to get healthier, not injured. I have learned a lot in the last year about how to stay out of trouble in the gym talking to, and carefully watching people who really know what they are doing. Some of that hard won knowledge might accidentally help a newbie out. If you are already certified gym rat and disagree – feel free to move along; this is for the newbies.

No, you don’t need a gym to get fit, but they do have some advantages and for me it’s worth the cost. If you are going to join, here are some simple things you can do to avoid injury when you go. To be fair, most of this is common sense stuff, but it is worth repeating.

1. Get some instruction and pay attention. I am not shilling for personal trainers. I think you can put together your own exercise program if you want to and do just fine on your own. But, trainers are great for accountability and tracking your progress if you want to spend the dough. Especially if you are a newbie in the gym (or haven’t been in one since high school), a personal trainer who knows what they are doing can be very, very helpful. Look for a personal trainer is someone who has a kinesiology degree and some high-level certifications (It may not guarantee that they have a clue, but it sure helps). There is a huge temptation to avoid spending $55 bucks to get a little instruction because you figure YouTube has got you covered. Although you can find some good instruction on the Web, but there is some terrible advice to be found there also. If you can swing it, spending a little money to get the proper form at the start (from someone who can watch you do the exercise), will go a long way toward avoiding injury. A trainer can also suggest alternative exercises, or things you should avoid at all costs - if you tell them what particular injuries or physical problems you might have.

2. Watch where the heck you are going. About 4 months ago I was rushing to meet up with my workout group one fine morning. I got some treadmill time in earlier and was ready for my group workout. I cut a corner between machines at my gym and ran smack into a low wall on the exercise floor with my shin. By the time I got to the other side of the gym I had a knot the size of a softball on my (now bleeding) shin. It took a month to heal. I was slowed down for that month by my own stupidity. I didn’t look where I was going and I was in a hurry. Gyms are full of power cords, stuff cluttering up the floor, people wielding heavy stuff, and swinging machines and cables. (Don’t even get me started about people who leave treadmills running, so the next person gets to do a half-gainer into the nearest wall! Big fun!) Watch where you step and try to not walk too close to someone exercising, as you never know when they are going extend an arm with a dumbbell in it. Remember, that they are usually listening to their iPod, so they can’t hear you coming up behind them. Getting clipped in the head as you walk by will ruin your whole day. Likewise, people sometimes think that their mother works in the gym, and they refuse to put their weights back, leaving them for someone else to trip over.

3. Beware of moving parts. A gym has a variety of hazards besides rogue treadmills that will send you flying; most weightlifting machines have plates, cables, hinges, and other things that you need to keep your fingers out of, so be careful or they will call you “lefty” for the next 4-6 weeks.

4. Don’t overdo it. Yes, I know everybody tells you that you have to work “Hard” when you exercise, and I heartily agree. If you aren’t working hard, you aren’t really making any improvements to your body. However, there is a difference between “hard” and “stupid hard. ” If you’re new to exercise, then everyone with an IQ over 20 will advise you to increase the length and intensity of your exercise routine gradually. Even if you are in decent shape, but you are trying something new – weightlifting, yoga or whatever; there is a learning curve there that you have to respect. Those new things may use an entirely different set of muscles than the ones you are used to working. (I know, you are going to cheerfully ignore this advice. Human nature being what it is, you will want to shortcut this process and start on Level 10, when you should be on Level 2 of your program.) If you push yourself past the limit in the first week, you will be so sore that you can’t even get off the toilet in the morning without help (Don’t laugh, it happens; OK you can laugh a little. It's funny when it's somebody else). It’s your *kitten* Cochise, so do it if you want to, but remember I told you so. To be fair, this is typically a male phenomenon (distantly related to the “I don’t need no stinking directions” mental illness guys often have); so guys, it might help you to remember that muscles grow when they REST and recover, not when you work them, so you have to give them enough rest time if you want them to grow. And, you have to be able to walk the next day in order to get another workout in.

5. Ensure that the machines are working properly and are adjusted for your size. I have seen people attempt to jury-rig a machine that is clearly broken. Why they don’t just report it and move on to something else, I don’t know. I usually run in the other direction, because I do not want to be there when that thing fails and shoots shrapnel and/or blood across the gym floor. If the machine appears to be working fine, then take a moment and ensure that things like the seat height, leg length, grip position etc. on the weightlifting machines are in the right spots for you before using them. You can hurt yourself if you don’t. What fits me perfectly, is a terrible fit for someone who is 5 feet tall. If you don’t know how to adjust it, ask somebody.

6. Get a Firm grip. When you’re using dumbbells, kettle bells, or putting plates on a barbell, please remember that these things are Heavy (and that your hands are probably sweaty). Ensure that you’ve got a good grip on it so you don’t drop it on your foot. Don’t ask me how I know this!

7. Use a Damn Spotter. You don’t need a spotter for every exercise, but there are certain types where they are mandatory (i.e., the barbell bench press). This is a safety issue people. I know, you are a tough guy/gal, you don’t like weight machines, you have done it before, and it’s not manly to admit that you may need help. I also admit have broken this rule a time or two, and I was dumb to do it. But, trust me when I say that you do not want to be in the position of not being able to lift that (very manly looking) barbell off your chest. BTDT. If you have a personal power failure that day, or pull a muscle at the wrong time, you will be stuck under a heavy metal pole (that you cannot control) which is at various times hovering over your: a) skull, b) throat, c) chest, or d) family jewels (all pretty important stuff). USC tailback Stafon Johnson dropped a barbell on his throat a couple of years ago while doing bench presses, crushing his neck and larynx in the process. He was (and probably still is) stronger than about 99% of the population. It can happen to you. If you don’t have a workout buddy, and no one is around to ask for a spot, use a machine, or do something else. (I know, this the part where some guys think “Wussy,” and go on ignoring this advice. OK with me. It’s your funeral.

8. Wash your germy hands. Your mother was right all along. When you come in from playing, wash your hands. Exercise is great. It boosts your immune system and makes you healthier. But that doesn’t change the fact most surfaces in the gym are crawling with sweaty people and their bacteria, viruses and other funk. Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth while in the gym if you can help it (use a clean towel that’s why they are there), and wash your hands when you leave the floor. Working out while sick just plain sucks and will delay the new "you" under construction. If they have Purell on the gym floor, use the stuff. Also, please wipe down your machines when you are done with them. It’s just common courtesy. I leave puddles of sweat everywhere I go in the gym, but I try to mop up after myself.

See that wasn’t so hard. Now get to the gym and get working!

/S/ The Big Dog.