The Gum Theory

Options

Replies

• cthompson1002
    cthompson1002 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Chewing Gum works for me also. you are not alone.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    As a way to keep me from eating constantly (I'm an emotional/boredom eater), I chew gum. I go through a pack maybe every 2-3 days, and it's working pretty well for me. Does anyone else do this, or am I just weird? I told my friend about it and she said that it just makes her even hungrier...

As long as your gum doesn't contain artificial sweeteners you're fine, but if it does you're asking for all sorts of problems

Ermegherd - I just checked, mine has aspartame
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    As a way to keep me from eating constantly (I'm an emotional/boredom eater), I chew gum. I go through a pack maybe every 2-3 days, and it's working pretty well for me. Does anyone else do this, or am I just weird? I told my friend about it and she said that it just makes her even hungrier...

As long as your gum doesn't contain artificial sweeteners you're fine, but if it does you're asking for all sorts of problems

just don't swallow
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

just don't swallow

That's the first time I have heard that from a guy :wink:
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

just don't swallow

I'm disappointed
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Personally makes me feel hungrier! X
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

just don't swallow

oh goodness! lol
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

just don't swallow

Don't listen to him, he was chewing some gum with aspartame at the time he typed it. He meant nothing by it...it was just pure and utter nonsense.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I honestly go through a couple of packs a day of gum at work. It doesn't keep me from being hungry, but it keeps me from eating just for the sake of chewing on something or the taste. I love food, and I would eat all day long if no one stopped me. So gum is a helpful alternative!!
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Its probably a mind trick but for me I think it helps, especially mint flavored gum. And the chewing motion burns about 5-10 calories per stick so if the gum you chew is sugar-free and you don't actually ingest the gum then you are burning more calories than you take in from the flavoring. That's a plus!
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Some gums contain xylitol. Xylitol is toxic to some animals, in particular dogs (surge in insulin, drop in blood sugar, liver toxicity). So if you're going to chew it, please don't spit it out on the ground. And if you are going to spit it out on the ground, please don't do it in my yard.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I have done it, but not much lately. The good news is that the constant chewing is working your jaw muscles, and therefore, it is increasing your NEAT and adding to your daily calorie burn. Sure, it's not super significant, but every little bit helps, right?
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm with your friend, it makes me hungrier! but if it's working for you, then go for it! just watch those calories, some packs have up to 10 calories a piece...
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Gum chewing works for me... but, everyone is different.

Amber your baby is as cute as a button.....If gum works for you, go for it...
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I suppress my appetite by eating food.
  • BellaSteffani
    Options

just don't swallow

Hehe. I see what you did there...
  • BellaSteffani
    Options
    I'm with your friend, it makes me hungrier! but if it's working for you, then go for it! just watch those calories, some packs have up to 10 calories a piece...

Huh! I didn't even consider the fact that gum has calories!
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    You already have something in your mouth. Your mind says nothing else needs to be there.
    Also chewing creates saliva so you don't feel as thirsty. Which is said to be a reason a lot of people eat.
    The chewing response is being satisfied. Some researchers hypothesize that the soft fast foods
    we eat so much of don't give us the chewing satisfaction our bodies want. So we eat more to get it.
    Who knows? If gum works, do it.
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    No can do on the gum... TMJ pain.

>:(
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it and it helps a lot. I can use gum to last an extra hour before eating !!:flowerforyou: :indifferent: :glasses: