When should I add lifting to my workout?

Options

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    To be conservative go back however many years to make you 15, and that's when you should/should have starting lifting.
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    ASAP, I lost 90 pounds without ANY strength training, and I regret it every time I step in the gym now...
  • Stompp
    Stompp Posts: 216
    Options
    Also... compound workouts are your friend... learn to love squats ;)
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I started off even heavier than you and am so glad I lifted from the get go. I highly recommend stronglifts. Lift and then cardio IMO. You can do this! Best of luck!
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    a firm, resounding now. Know your limits, get the proper training, educate yourself on compound exercises and the proper diet, avoid machines, and LIFT HEAVY (after your form is right)
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I had actually started the strength training two years before I decided to change the eating part of a healthy lifestyle -- and I'm so glad I had some muscle under all that flab. As I whittled away at the fat, the muscle was there, just waiting to shine through as a firm, toned body. Then, when I lost the weight (30, then 40, then 50 lbs) the cardio and general "fitness" became so much better, and I could add new stuff like kettlebell, spin and zumba (the secret FUN stuff, you havta be somewhat fit to actually ENJOY:flowerforyou: )

I agree with everyone else, the sooner you start some strength training, the more results you'll see. It goes hand in hand to compliment the healthy eating, "more moving" strategy to the slimmer, toned, fit, new YOU.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

And deadlifts. :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    ASAP.

the reason why i was only 70 pounds overweight instead of 140 was because i continued to lift weights all throughout my weight gain.

start asap.

stop reading this thread and start learning proper form for squats, deadlifts, snatches, push ups, pulluos, bb rows and cleans :happy:

thank us in a few months :smile:
  • shizz230
    Options
    This is a good post because I always wanted to know that myself,,, when should I start weight training
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options

I LOVE squats!!! (I just keep telling myself that)
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Don't wait, start now. I wish I had started from day one. Losing weight is easy, getting in shape/getting strong is much more difficult. The longer you wait the more you will regret it. There is zero benefit to waiting.

Couldn't say it any better myself. Wish I'd started sooner.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Now. Next.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    start nowwwwww
  • pommesvertes
    pommesvertes Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I saw this thread. I just joined the gym yesterday. I'll make sure to get an induction to lifting next time I'm there.

Should I train cardio/strength 50/50?
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I saw this thread. I just joined the gym yesterday. I'll make sure to get an induction to lifting next time I'm there.

Should I train cardio/strength 50/50?

Depends on your goals.
  • cwanek726
    cwanek726 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The good news is that it's NEVER too late to start!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    when you have 30-35 pounds til goal.

OH LOOK
  • thrashscara
    thrashscara Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Now! You will start to feel amazing right away!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Immediately if not sooner.
  • teodoragodar
    Options
    Weight lifting burns longer calories than cardio. After cardio your metabolism is faster next 2 hours and with weight lifting can be up to 72 hours. Also more muscles mean you can burn more calories while you sleep because your muscles needs food. It's so wrong waiting to loose weight and than starting lifting weight.